Independent 7466 by Eimi

Posted by NealH on September 20th, 2010

NealH.

A typically excellent puzzle from the crossword editor which has a NINA referring to a group I’d never heard of. The group itself also puts in an appearance and there may be other references that people with greater knowledge than I can see. The NINA, which appears around the perimeter, did help me finish the puzzle as some of the clues in the top right corner (esp 5 down and 11 across) were a bit trickier. My favourite clue was 10 across – a very inventive device.

8 Rennet: Tenner<. Rennet is best known for being the non-vegetarian component of cheese.
9 Unleash: Un[c]le + has*.
10 Et cetera: Def is the “…”. “And soon parted” means “and so on”.
11 Shiloh: Even letters of tHrIlLs in soh. US Civil war battle.
12 Vroom: (Mo[t]or) + v[ehicle])<.
13 Donizetti: Z (a mathematical unknown used in conjunction with X and Y) in (diet into)*.
14 Effects: DD.
17 Replied: Re + P[akistan] + lied. A nice topical clue.
20 Rancorous: Not entirely sure about this – it seems to be (R no Caruso)*, but I’m not sure why Rod’s would be just R.
25/22 Orange Juice: (Age I conjure)*. Also the name of the NINA’d group.
26 Felicity: Licit in fey.
27 Oatmeal: DD. As Gaufrid points out, it’s more likely to be O at meal.
28 Otello: (William) Tell in OO.
1 Yes tor: Nestor (a semi-regular contributor of Indy puzzles) with the N changed to Y.
2 Once More: Once + Rome*.
3 Utter: DD.
4 Curator: (Rota + RUC)<.
5 Allspice: SP (a racing term which has now entered popular parlance as meaning the latest information about something) in allice (a type of fish).
6 Native: [Tyna]n + Evita<.
7 Throttle: The around rot t (tango in phonetic alphabet) l[essons].
15 Flat roof: (For a loft)*.
16 Turgenev: (Nerve + gut[s])*.
18 Launcher: Luncher around a.
19 Buffalo: Buff + al[t]o.
21 Canute: C[ol]e around tuna<.
23 Cat flu: C(= about) + fault*.
24 Algol: Hidden in professional golfers.

17 Responses to “Independent 7466 by Eimi”

1. Gaufrid says:

Hi Neal
    In 20ac, r is the abbreviation for a ‘rod’ (also known as a pole or perch), a unit of length equal to 5½ yards.

2. NealH says:

Yes, I thought it must be an abbreviation, but wasn’t sure how you’d justify the S in Rod’s.

Thanks for the blog, Neal.

I hadn’t heard of the band, either, but your link shows that FELICITY is one of the tracks on the NINA’d album.

4. Gaufrid says:

Hi again Neal
    I don’t think 27ac is a dd since a hunger striker wouldn’t eat anything. I parsed it as 0 AT MEAL.

5. walruss says:

What a good puzzle this is. I too especially liked the clue for ET CETERA which uses an interesting device to create ‘and so on’. I have seen similar things in Times puzzles, and, rarely, elsewhere. Thankyou to the compiler and to the blogger.

Composer (DONIZETTI), opera (OTELLO), Russian writer (TURGENEV), Devon landmark (YES TOR) and Civil War battle (SHILOH) … we’re in Eimi territory here all right. Setting the jumbo general knowledge crossword in the Saturday Indy most weeks obviously gives you some clueing options, and this didn’t disappoint.

OTELLO wasn’t too hard to crack for me, since the Everyman solution from yesterday had it and someone queried the spelling, revealing it to be an opera. ET CETERA and OATMEAL I couldn’t understand, so thank you Neal (and Gaufrid).

Anybody else spend too much time trying to get ‘tango’ into an anagram in 7dn?

I’d hereby like to nominate Eimi for the 2010 MONA (Most Obscure Nina Award) to take its place alongside the EMMYS, OSCARS and GRAMMYS. Orange Juice? Who they? Did it spoil my enjoyment of a super puzzle? Not at all …

7. Quixote says:

There was obviously a perimetrical nina ( for those of us who are insiders and expect this sort of thing), which helped me romp (through during a bathroom session). However, the unhelpful checking needed to accommodate this nina makes me sometimes wonder if the ‘nina-outsiders’ aren’t at an unfair disavantage. I did once use similar checking to remember my late father in a Telegraph perimetrical nina, but I’m inclined (without in any way of course criticising my wonderful editor!) to think this sort of thing should be done more sparingly.

8. anax says:

A cracker – thanks Eimi!

As a child of the 80s Orange Juice’s “Rip It Up” is the one I remembered – although they split up in 1985 frontman Edwyn Collins has gone on to do a lot of highly regarded solo work and I’ve seen his name crop up a few times (did he contribute to the film version of Charlie’s Angels?).

It was a lovely touch to incorporate the extremely clever “…” def so soon (online anyway) after my recent Saturday one – I’m sure the race will now be on to find yet more interpretations.

Lots of super clues here – above all I think 17a is very special. Although I got the answer from wordplay the only one I didn’t immediately understand was 5d as I’d never heard of the fish.

9. anax says:

I have mixed feelings about perimeter Ninas. As solvers become more experienced these E/E grids (answers appearing in the even rows/columns) often start to shout out Nina warnings, so if you’re onto that they can be of great assistance in filling unchecked letters as the solution progresses. Equally, “Nina-outsiders” can be at a disadvantage and I suppose the key is to ensure that clues to answers with 50% or less cross-checking should be kept on the easy side.

As for being used sparingly – a tough call. The Indy puzzle has the use of themes/Ninas as a major attraction and the most easily spottable Nina position is around the perimeter (I’ve tried “weaving” a Nina into the grid, or placing it/them in various rows and columns, often with disastrous results!).

10. eimi says:

Thanks to Neal for the blog, all for the kind comments, and to Edwyn and co for an album I played a lot in my youth and recently rediscovered, having read about his recovery which continues with a gig this Thursday at the QEH, whose web site claims:

Legendary frontman of Orange Juice and acclaimed solo artist Edwyn Collins has been responsible for some of the most distinctive and celebrated albums of the last 30 years, from Orange Juice’s debut You Can’t Hide Your Love Forever onwards.

You can read more about Edwyn’s story here:

I was a bit nervous about how the ET CETERA clue would go down. We’re not afraid to innovate at the Indy, but I thought it might be a bit of a Marmite clue, with some loving it and some hating it.

11. nmsindy says:

Thanks for the puzzle, Eimi, and for the blog, NealH. I was able to finish the puzzle tho knowing nothing of the theme. I saw the Nina emerging and that helped me esp with the NW corner, did not know of course what the perimeter message might refer to. In terms of difficulty, I found it about average for the Indy, my favourite clues were VROOM and OATMEAL.

12. scchua says:

Thanks NealH and Eimi.
    As K’sD says, Orange Who? So the Nina totally eluded me (a 100% “Nina-outsider”). Which of course didn’t help me with the only one I didn’t get – 5D, for which, out of sheer desperation, I put “Flossine” – the candy floss flavouring, but of course couldn’t fit in the wordplay.
    But 5D and Nina notwithstanding, an enjoyable puzzle.

13. walruss says:

Well, I’ll stick me neck out and say that for me the Indy’s marriage to Nina is a successful one. Just one of the things that make for a really good and interesting daily challenge. Keep it up guys and gals!!

14. flashling says:

Seeing one down made me wonder if we were prog rocking again (ask Tees) but no, saw the nina but didn’t know OJ well enough to spot the link. Quite tricky for me and took a while to finish. Perhaps it’s just my suspicious nature but I do wonder when Eimi appears what’s going on this week. Those giant quiz crosswords must take forever to set though.

15. Sil van den Hoek says:

Almost exactly a year ago [whatever that means] I saw on BBC4 a very moving documentary about Edwyn Collins, the man that indeed gave us Orange Juice ánd the 1984 classic “A Girl Like You”.
    There will surely come a time that the Beeb gives us an encore [unfortunately, the iPlayer is still not willing for whatever silly reasons to share its backcatalogue with us – unlike in my native country where you can go some 10 years back in time].

Until then, for every solver of this fine crossword who’s curious there’s YouTube:
    Edwyn Collins – Home Again (BBC Scotland, 40 min)
    [part one]
    [part two]
    [part three]
    [part four]

16. Tees says:

Agree wholeheartedly re Edwyn C – a fine musician, and it’s good to see him back (especially in such a good puzzle).

Re prog, maybe I’ve engendered some dark suspicions as to where in grids it might now be found lurking. I did not intend this, no, really I didn’t.

17. eimi says:

Thanks so much for these links, Sil. I only read about it but didn’t see the documentary. Very moving.