Independent 7,467/Anax

Posted by Ali on September 21st, 2010

Ali.

Apologies for the late blog. I wasn’t expecting to see Anax though mercifully this didn’t turn out to be quite as tricksy as some previous offerings from this very entertaining and talented setter. A relatively easy clue for the theme at 28A was admittedly a big help, but it wasn’t all plain sailing and I did need some help on the musicals and songs. Very good stuff all told, and extra points for 15D!

7 ON THE GO – H(opital) in (GOT ONE)*
8 AUTHOR – A U THOR[-n]
10 PEOPLE – I didn’t follow this one. Any pointers will be appreciated
11 CREVASSE – S[-had]E in (CAVERS)*
12 THUD – THU(rsday) + D(ay)
14 OL’ MAN RIVER – MA + N(ear) in OLIVER! – Nice use of the !
16 CAMELOT – CAME + LOT
18 STAIDLY – I guess this is I.D + L in STAY, though have never seen L for LOST before
20 KISS ME KATE – (KES MAKES IT)*
21 NOWT – T[-ramp] + WON rev.
23 CAROUSEL – AROUSE in CL
25 MEMORY – (MORE) in MY (author’s)
27 DO-RE-MI – DO + REMI[-t]
28 MUSICAL – U(nited) in (CLAIMS)*
1 JOSEPH – P.E rev. in JOSH
2 STEP – Hidden in waSTE Product
3 HERETOFORE – HE (man) + RE (on) + (FOOT)* + RE (soliders)
4 HOW COME – O(ld) W.C in HOME
5 FAME – FA (Nowt_ + ME (author)
6 GODSPELL – P(iano) in GO’D SELL
9 TRADITION – [-ex]TRADITION
13 DRESS CODE – (CROSSED)* + DE[-nim]
15 NETHERMOST – THE in (MONSTER)*
17 AGITATOR – A GIT on A TOR
19 GAS LAMP – SLAM in GAP
22 WARBLE – WALE[-s] covering R&B
24 SKIP – KIP on S[-ailor]
26 MUNCH – MU[-n]CH

14 Responses to “Independent 7,467/Anax”

1. Jake says:

Ali, use this link: http://www.crosswordsolver.info/

Download the program and print off the daily Indy crossword. Saves buying the paper if you don’t usually read it and also saves online solving, if you are on the move.

2. flashling says:

Finding this tough going, not knowing enough 28s… will appreciate the blog though.

3. flashling says:

Just got 5d very nice Anax.

4. PeterO says:

Ali,
    Thanks for the blog. In exchange for the wordplays you gave me, 10A is a homophone (roughly) of pee pull.

5. nmsindy says:

Though getting MUSICAL almost immediately I found this a v hard puzzle, as Anax normally is. All the interlinked usages of AUTHOR, MY, ME, NOWT and FA were very imaginative and I thought that was really good. Impressive to fit so many reference to musicals in, I was not too familiar with some of them (even less so the songs) and would not have finished the puzzle without consulting lists of them but this is no way reduced the enjoyment.

6. scchua says:

Thanks Ali for the blog, helping to clarify a couple of wordplays.

Got the theme early, but that only helped with most but not all of the related lights. Got to thank Anax for his usual high standard.

PeterO, thanks for educating us (me at least) with “number one = pee”.

Perhaps a couple of minor quibbles (but in no way detracting from the puzzle):
    1D: Don’t think I’ve ever seen the shortened form (except in html addresses) of Joseph and the ATD.
    14A (& 12A – my favourite clues): The parentheses in “…- 28(!) -…” seem redundant as the musical is “Oliver!”

7. scchua says:

Re my@6, Sorry, I take back my comment about 14A – too quick off the mark -mea culpa. I can now see why the parentheses are required in order to give an additional hint to the title. I was thinking more along the lines that answers in the grid are devoid of punctuation, and therefore if one of them were to be used, in another clue, then the punctuation should be added back.

Since our village shop shut and I can’t easily buy the paper any more, I’ve been confined mostly to the on-line version; but away on business last night, so a rare chance this morning to do the puzzle on paper in the hotel. Didn’t help me get much further than usual with Anax (but one day, one day …)

I did get MUSICAL early on, which helped, but a bit too tough for me as usual. At the risk of repeating myself, I still enjoyed the ones I managed: DRESS CODE and WARBLE were good, and Anax is going to tell us that given George Michael’s recent travails, the appearance of Wham! in 12ac was just serendipity. Whatever, it was a good clue.

Scchua, I presume you do know that there is a further number after number one?

Thanks for the blog, Ali.

9. jetdoc says:

Great stuff, Anax, though both spouse and I got stuck on the NE corner, having cracked the theme fairly quickly (independently of each other). What’s the thematic significance of TRADITION?

Hi jetdoc

TRADITION is a ‘number’ from ‘Fiddler on the Roof’:

I was just in the middle of composing a big thank you to Anax for a puzzle right up [one of] my street[s] when I caught sight of jetdoc’s comments.

That was going to be one of my observations – that Anax had managed so unobtrusivingly to introduce words like TRADITION and PEOPLE

into this very entertaining puzzle – and I loved the inclusion of ‘Oliver’ into 14ac.

I loved GODSPELL – and lots more!

[Just a tiny quibble: 26dn: 'many' = 'much'? ]

12. anax says:

Greetings all! Thanks again for your kindnesses – always a pleasure to set for those who enjoy such punishment; I bet many of you wear leather undies. Go on, dontcha? Dontcha?

Good observation re many=much, Eileen – Eimi raised the same question and it was the only one where I (recklessly) stood my ground. The equivalence is rather specific and based on the line in Hamlet “For this relief much thanks”; I’ve heard “much thanks” and “many thanks” well, not exactly in a 50/50 mix, but often enough to have guessed/hoped it would be familiar.

Hi Anax

I use the Hamlet quotation a lot and take your point but I just have to keep my end up on the analogous fewer/ less, number/amount issue, where I know I’m, with a few staunch colleagues, fighting a perhaps losing battle.

But, as I said, it was only a very minor quibble, intended to dilute any sycophancy, because I thought, as usual, this was a great puzzle – and thoroughly enjoyed it! :-)

14. Allan_C says:

Defeated by this one, due to limited knowledge of musicals! But did get 14, where the parentheses around the ! saved me from thinking of the mathematical function known as the factorial!