Financial Times 13,499 / Orense

Posted by shuchi on September 24th, 2010

shuchi.

A transportation-themed crossword from Orense, with clues as well as solutions covering the spectrum from airplanes to bicycles. Nice and gentle to solve. No obscure vocabulary – a commendable feat for a themed puzzle.

A couple of clues (1d, 4d) use false capitalization to interesting effect on the surface, and there are some neatly indicated anagrams (2d, 17d) though I’m not too happy with 12a.

1 BATTLE CRUISER (CAREERS BUILT)* around T
9 ADAPTER A D (day) APTER (more suitable)
10 BUFFOON BUFF (polish) O (love) ON (working)
11 BUSES USE (function) in B S (the ‘case’ i.e. outer letters of ‘BreakdownS’). Good clue.
12 AEROPLANE (OPEN A REAL)*. The anagram indication doesn’t work for me here.
13 EVENSONG EVEN (regular) SONG (air). Evensong is a church service. Very nice deceptive surface.
15 EDISON NO (negative) SIDE (spin, as in having a bias), all reversed.
18 HOT AIR BALLOONS cd
22 TRANSPORT dd
24 METRO hidden in ‘extreME TROglodytes’
25 INROADS (ROAD SIGN)* – G
26 RADIANT RADI[o] (set, mainly) ANT (worker)
27 WHEELER DEALER cd

1 BRAMBLE B (born) RAMBLE (to talk at length, without meaning)
2 TRANSIENT (ART)< (TENNIS)*
3 LOTUS LOT (destiny) US (America)
4 CURTAINS cd
5 UNBARS [f]UN BARS (pubs)
6 SOFT PEDAL SOFT (sort of water) PEDAL (cycle)
7 RIOJA RIO (port) JA (German support)
8 INTERN T[h]E[o]R[y] in INN (tavern)
14 SHIPSHAPE SHIP (dispatch) SHAPE (form)
16 SLOW TRAIL cd I think, and if yes a rather tame one. SHORT HAUL dd // Thanks, Andrew.
17 BARTERER (RARE BET)* R[ace]. I like the anagram indicator ‘placing’.
18 HATPIN A devious cd. My last entry into the grid.
20 SHOOTER S (son) HOOTER (warning, as in a siren). A ‘shooter’ is a gun (‘one fired’).
21 CONSUL CONSUL[t]
23 ARROW MARROW (part of bone) – M
24 MIDGE EG (for example) DIM (slow), all reversed

5 Responses to “Financial Times 13,499 / Orense”

1. Andrew says:

Thanks shuchi. I think 16dn should be SHORT HAUL – it’s (5,4) not (4,5) in my version – and it’s a double definition.

2. shuchi says:

So it is in mine, I had misread the numbers! No wonder the answer wasn’t convincing. Thanks Andrew.

Thanks for the blog, shuchi.

I loved 1dn, which made me laugh, and 2dn, which I thought had a great surface. [You've omitted the anagram of TENNIS in the blog.]

By one of those strange coincidences that we keep getting, SOFT PEDAL is also an answer in today’s Indy puzzle.

4. shuchi says:

Thanks Eileen. I’ve included the anagram now.

There’s something about “Bush” clues – whenever there is one in a puzzle, it stands out as the funniest of the day. 1d made me laugh too.

5. smiffy says:

An enjoyable romp today. In some ways it felt reassuringly traditional (the economical concise clues, and the “financial” cryptics in the likes of 18/19A and 18D), but certainly not fusty (thanks to the C21st allusions to Dubya and Microsoft).

One difference of opinion Shuchi: In 15A, I think ‘spin’ is intended to give ‘side’ in the sense of snooker/billiard shots etc. Thanks for the blog.