Inquisitor 1144, Pairs at play by Raich

Posted by Hihoba on September 29th, 2010

Hihoba.

Interesting theme and an entertaining solve. My first reaction was that there seemed an awful lot to keep track of in the extensive rubric!

There were three types of clues, and four unclued lights to fill in.

Type 1 – one extra letter in wordplay – yielding instructions about how to fill in type 2 clues.

Type 2 – wordplay only clues

Type 3 – contained two consecutive extra letters to be ignored, yielding themed words when read in clued order.

None of the clues was too abstruse, so solving proceded at a slow but steady rate. It became clear that two of the unclued lights were ENGLAND and AUSTRALIA, while the other two were FOOTBALL and CRICKET.

We were looking for sporting pairs in the England and Australian teams.

The next breakthrough was to find CHAPPELL from the type 3 clues. There are Chappell brothers who play cricket for Australia, so we are looking for sporting siblings. With this guide I quickly found CHARLTON, NEVILLE and WAUGH. So we had two pairs of Australian cricketing  brothers, and two pairs of English footballing brothers. (Two sets of twins too, but I don’t think that is relevant!)

The type 1 clues now yielded “ENTER OTHER MEMBER OF PAIR

As I had solved 6A as BOBBY very early on (but with no idea what to do with it), this instruction became clear – BOBBY was to be entered as JACK (the Charlton brothers), similarly GREG was to be entered as IAN (Chappell), PHILIP as GARY (Neville) and STEVE as MARK (Waugh).

The theme to be highlighted appears on the diagonal from top left to bottom right, and is BROTHERS.

Time to complete – 1.5 to 2 hours – I’m no Biddlecombe!

Clue  Grid Entry  Extra(s)   Definition: Wordplay
 1  ENGLAND    Unclued
 6  JACK  Charlton  BOBBY: Bobby pin is American for hairgrip
 10  SORORIAL  CH  Family member’s: [S(CH)OOL AIR]*
 11  BEAU  E   Dandy: BE(E) + A + U
 12  TUBE  N  Railway: BUT reversed + (N)E
 13  TROILUS  AP  Greek victim of old: [(c)R(AP)ULOSIT(y)]*
 16  PROS  PE  Experts: RO(PE) in PS
 17  BLAT  T  American for “make a lot of noise”: [(T)ABL(E)T]*
 18  IAN  Chappell  GREG: ERG (sandy area) reversed + G(abon)
 19  IODIDE  LL  Salt: I(LL) + DIDO reversed + (tabl)E
 20  SLUE  E  Sudden change of position: [SE(q)(E)L]*
 22  SIERRA  CH   High points: hidden in clasSI(C H)ER RAdio
 23  INDABA  R  Conference: IN + D(R)AB + A
 25  HULL  O  Port: HULL(O)
 28  MAMMEE  AR  WI fruit: [M(AR)EMME]*
 29  LEI  T  Wreath: LE(T) + I
 30  MARK  Waugh  STEVE: STAVE (rod) with change of heart.
 32  GARY  Neville  PHILIP: PHI + LIP
 33  UTRILLO  H  French painter: [(H)ILL TOUR]*
 34  OSSA  E  Bones: (M)OS(E)S + A
 36  REEL  R  Dance: R(ule) + E(astern) + E(R)+ L(eft).
 37  LIONIZER  LT  One greatly admiring: [LI(LT) ZERO IN]*
 38  SNOB  ON  He thinks highly of class: [B(ON)N SO]*
   CRICKET    Unclued

1  EST  NE  Programme from Erhard (Erhard Seminars Training): (NE)(W)EST
 2  NOUNAL  M  Name’s: NO + UN + (M)AL(asia)
 3  LOERIE  VI  South African bird: (VI)OL reversed + ERIE
 4  NITS  LL  Fools: [N STI(LL)]*
 5  DARKISH  E  Not the brightest: [SAD HIK(E)R]*
 7  ABIB  M  Month: A(M)BIT with B(arrell) for T(ime)
 8  CELLAR  B  Wine store: CELL + (B)AR
 9  KAUAI  E  Volcanic island: AUK reversed + b(E)Ar pIt
   AUSTRALIA    Unclued
   FOOTBALL    Unclued
 14  OEDIPEAN  EW  Complex guy’s: [(h)OPE N(EW) IDEA]*
 15  DISIMMURE  R  Liberate: [MUM DI(R)E SIR]*
 21  TAMILIC  O  Language’s: [(d)I(p)L(O)MATIC]*
 24  DARREN  F  Man: NERD reversed round A(F)R
 25  HEROIC  AU  Larger-than-life: [CHOIR E(AU)]*
 26  LESSEE  P  I deal with letter: LESS + (P)E + E
 27  OATES  GH  Explorer: [(tal)E A (GH)OST]*
 31  KILO  A  Weight: O(A)K reversed round IL
 32  GOOR  I  Sugar: GOO + (I)R
 35  ART  R  Practical skill: A Ra(R)iTy

8 Responses to “Inquisitor 1144, Pairs at play by Raich”

1. kenmac says:

Hi Hi,

Thanks for clearing up 32a. I had the right answer but couldn’t justify PHIL at all. I never even considered PHILIP – d’uh!

An enjoyable puzzle which I did with my 21-year-old daughter. Although she probably feels she didn’t contribute much, it served as a great (geeky) learning experience.

2. HolyGhost says:

Ken – That’s you and me both as far as 32a is concerned …

3. Liz Geear says:

As a sportophobe (yes I know thats not a real word) I hate crosswords that rely on knowledge of boring ball games. However, a phone call to my adult children gave me the flip side of the ‘pair’. This is why I’m useless at general knowledge crosswords. I prefer to use my tricksy mind, which may explain why I’m so unsuccessful.

4. Mike Laws says:

32 across foxed me at first, but the grid-entry was obviously correct, and I was able to check with Raich’s solution notes. Conclusion – dammit, I should have realised. Thanks for confirming that, Hihoba.

Liz – sorry about the temporary interruption of the moratorium on soccer themes after the World Cup. At least it wasn’t exclusively soccer. I doubt you are positively phobic about such subject matter, but like me, find its relentless encroachment on an otherwise intellectual pastime rather cloying.

5. Hi of Hihoba says:

Thanks for the comments. I have to say that Ba suffers from the same sportophobia – which certainly should be a word, even if it’s not in Chambers. I and Ho are sportophiles, however. It is very encouraging to find that I have solved a clue (32A) that the experts found tricky!

6. Raich says:

Many thanks, Hihoba, for the excellent blog and to all for their comments. Philip (Phil) Neville was the one instance among the eight where there were two versions of the first name in common use. In those circs, being cautious, I opted, after some thought, for the longer version. With the benefit of hindsight, I should perhaps have aimed for an easier clue in view of possible ambiguity tho my intention was that those four non-definition clues would be on the difficult side so the theme would not emerge too quickly.

7. HolyGhost says:

I initially took 18a to be one of the clues with two consecutive extra letters to be ignored: Sandy area over by Gabon giving ERG, the wordplay being (OV)ER + G(abon). Until I realised my mistake, not only did this mess up parts of the top left grid, but also it gave me OV somewhere in the thematic surnames.

8. Scarpia says:

Re. ‘Sportophobe’
    O.k if you mean ‘fear of sport’ but if you mean dislike/hatred of sport/games, I think ‘misopaignist’would be more fitting.