Independent 7471 – Saturday Prize Puzzle (25 September 2010) by Nestor

Posted by duncanshiell on October 2nd, 2010

duncanshiell.

I’m sorry that you are stuck with two Saturday puzzle blogs in a row from me, but thanks to the other Saturday Independent bloggers for letting me do some swaps to overcome periods when I am out of the country, or out of reach of internet connections.  I expect to be in Saudi Arabia when this blog is published.

As usual, this was a satisfying puzzle form Nestor, and I am glad to say, easier than Nestor’s offerings under his other pseudonyms in other journals.

I solved this watching a bit of football and Formula 1 on the box over a period of two to three hours.

My first impression on looking at the grid was that there might be a message spelled out in the unches in the first and last rows, but that was not the case.

I think I have got the parsing right.  I only deduced UNDERWATER as I wrote the blog.  The parsing for BUSINESS IS USUAL is a bit tortuous, but it seems to fit.

There were some excellent clues. with very smooth and mis-directing surfaces.  I particularly liked MEDIEVAL, RUMPELSTILTSKIN and UPLOAD in the acrosses, and RABELAIS, PAUPER and OEUVRE in the downs.

Wordplay Entry
8 UN (dialect word for [in some places], one) + DERWENT WATER (one of the attractions in the Lake District) excluding (away) WENT UNDERWATER (immersed)
9 Even letters of (oddly ignored) YACHT and  DORY AHOY (hail at sea)
10 Anagram of (changing) HEAT’S SELDOM + TORY (Conservative) THE SAME OLD STORY (no news there)
12 MEAL (spread) containing (has … in the middle) (DIE [to end] + V [volume]) MEDIEVAL (Middle Aged)
13 WIN (reach) + KERB (side of the road) excluding the last letter (shortly) B WINKER (flashing direction indicator on a car)
14 RUMP (buttocks; duff)  + ELS (reference Ernie Els, golfer) + TILTS (lists) + KIN (family) RUMPELSTILTSKIN (unpleasant fairy tale character whose name had to be guessed by the princess in order to keep her child)
20 First and last letters of (fringe) UKIP + LO (see) + AD (advertisement; publicity) UPLOAD (computing term for transferring data from you computer to a larger system.  YouTube is a fairly well known website for sharing videos)
22 E (European) + (PYTHON [snake] excluding [extracted from] H [hydrogen]) + EG (for example; say), all reversed (reversing) GENOTYPE (molecular constituton)
24 Anagram of (transported) USAS USAS (twice USA’s) contained in (in) (BUS [coach] + IN + EL (the mass transit system in Chicage is known as Chicago-L or sometimes Chicago-El) BUSINESS AS USUAL (adhering to schedule)
26 Hidden word in TOP ELEVEN (reference Brazilian soccer star Edison Arantes do Nascimento, better known as Pelé) PELÉ (Pelé would probably be in any football fans’ top eleven of all time)
27 MAKE TRACKS (work in recording studio, to make tracks for a CD) MAKE TRACKS (leave) double definition

Wordplay Entry
1 (S [second] + TOME [volume]) contained in (imbibed by) CUR (wretch) CUSTOMER (one who will buy)
2 MADDEN (anger) without the first letter (blowing top) M + DUMB (speechless) excluding the last letter (almost) B ADDENDUM (extra)
3 UR (primitive, as a prefix UR-) + BANE (cause of annoyance) URBANE (refined)
4 RAISE (reference raise Cain, to make a fuss; what troublemaker does) excluding the last letter (mostly) E containing (traps) ABEL (brother of Cain in the Bible.  Cain murdered Abel) RABELAIS (a writer noted for bawdy jokes and songs; earthy writer)
5 FE (chemical symbol for iron) + LL (line line; lines) FELL (floor, as a verb)
6 HAS (that features) + TINGS (metallic rings) HASTINGS (where King Harold performed; where Harold did, or I note that ‘do’ can also mean ‘finish’, so King Harold ‘finished’ at the Battle of Hastings)
7 OARS (rows, as a verb) contained in CE (Church of England; Anglicans) COARSE (the oppositie of urbane [3 down])
11 DO WELL (prosper) excluding final letter (endlessly) L DOWEL (joint for fastening things together)
15 Anagram of (a change is needed) SOME DRIP PROMISED (swore to)
16 LOGE (a box in the theatre or opera house; Chambers doesn’t indicate that it is necessarily private, but it is likely that it will have been booked privately) containing (in) D (duke) LODGE (accommodate)
17 (I [one] + C [cold] + EATER [diner]) containing (in possession of) W (wife) ICE WATER (fresh drink)
18 KEY (decisive) + PUNCH (blow) KEYPUNCH (old data entry system)
19 Anagram of (to ruin) SENSE LED NEEDLESS (superfluous)
21 PAPER (questions in exam; exam paper) containing U (university) PAUPER (a destitute person; one who is far from needless [19 down])
23 The letters of OUR and EVE taken alternately in order (takes turns with [135 246]) ŒUVRE (work), technically with the Œ character, but obviously entered as OEUVRE
25 S (small) + CAB (driver’s compartment) SCAB (an informal term for blackleg; one who continues to work during a strike)

9 Responses to “Independent 7471 – Saturday Prize Puzzle (25 September 2010) by Nestor”

1. Allan_C says:

Nothing too difficult though I couldn’t completely understand some of the clues, so thanks for the blog, Duncan. Re 24a, Chambers has ‘el’ as US colloquial for an ELevated railroad (i.e. mass transit system) anywhere, not necessarily Chicago, though that’s the one most people have heard of.
    I particularly liked GENOTYPE.

2. nmsindy says:

Thanks for the blog, Duncan. Yes, this was really good, maybe a little easier than usual from Nestor. I agree with you re BUSINESS AS USUAL. Esp liked MEDIEVAL, WINKER, MAKE TRACKS, RABELAIS, FELL, HASTINGS, PAUPER, SCAB.

3. tupu says:

Thanks Duncanshiell and Nestor

A generally very good blog for a testing puzzle which I was pleased to complete and understand. I don’t regularly do the Indy puzzles but this was well worthwhile.

I think ‘un’ is not a dialect word but a form of ‘one’ in French, Spanish and Italian.

Some excellent clues especially 14a and 8a and others listed by nmsindy and allan_c.

4. scchua says:

Thanks Duncan for the blog. This waa very nice (ie. challenging, do-able, and enjoyable) one from Nestor, thanks.

Re13A:WINKER Being more familiar with the alternative “curb” rather than “kerb”, I parsed it differently, and oddly enough came to the same answer, ie. if one is driving and pulling or “reaching to the side of the road” soon or “shortly”, then one would be using one’s direction indicators. And one who is giving you the wink is also signalling. A double definition with a bit of an &lit?

Favourites were: 22A: GENOTYPE, 20A: UPLOAD, and 27A: MAKE TRACKS, quite contemporary words.

5. scchua says:

PS. my@4, btw, to clarify my comment about 13AI’m not even suggesting that Duncan is wrong.

6. Nestor says:

To clarify, the definition in 6D is “where Harold did that”, referring to the previous answer, “fell”. I’m not sure if the ellipses linking 5D and 6D were visible in the online version.

7. tupu says:

Hi Nestor
    Thanks for the reminder. I had seen that and forgotten it. Prize puzzles are always slightly awkward in this context, because one ideally needs to take detailed notes when they are solved and this is a chore. I think this may partly account for the relatively small number of comments even excellent puzzles often attract.

8. Stella Heath says:

Hi Nestor,

I had a suspicion to that effect, but didn’t see any ellipses. On a further look, they are there, so my fault :)

Thanks for a good puzzle, and to
    Duncan for the comprehensive blog. I found the device at 9a (oddly ignored) unusual and ingenious. There were plenty of good clues here, but I needed the blog to understand them fully, so well done both of you.

9. flashling says:

Cruised through this, as indeed I did this week’s Saturday, must admit that some answers were so obvious I didn’t fully parse them – hey, I’m not doing the blog! So thanks for explaining some that I just threw in without checking. Did dead tree so fell/hastings was pretty clear. Perhaps paying for the crossword (and hence the setters…) is a good thing. :-)