Financial Times 13,506 by Cinephile

Posted by Pete Maclean on October 14th, 2010

Pete Maclean.

Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of October 2

This is the best Cinephile I remember in a while. The theme is one there is little you have to figure out about; perhaps just that most of the themed clues refer to motor racing rather than motoring in general. And, as is often the case with Cinephile, that is easy to spot since 4A (HAMILTON) is rather a giveaway.

I note some specially good clues: 13A (ATHENE), 2D (RETRIEVER), 8D (NO SWEAT) and 26, 5 (CASTAWAY). Then there is one that I cannot fully figure out, 18D though I trust that the answer is CURLICUE. And finally there is 17D (GRAND PRIX) which seems to be missing something — and is rather a poor clue to boot.

1. CARMEN – CAR MEN (motorists)
4. HAMILTON – double definition
9. METTLE – homophone (“metal”)
10. CANNABIS – CAN (has power) + NAB (capture) + IS (islands)
12. ORIENTAL – NT (books) + A (first) together in ORIEL (window)
13. ATHENE – “A THEN E…”
15. SAVE – double definition
16. FLASHLIGHT – LASH (punishment) in FLIGHT (traveling)
19. FORMULA ONE – FOR (for) + MU (Greek character) + O (nothing) in LANE (the way)
20, 23. HARDCASTLE – HARD (difficult) + CASTLE (move rook and king)
25, 7. PERIODIC TABLE – IO (10) in PREDICTABLE (easy to forecast) with a little twist (swapping R and E)
27. IRONCLAD – anagram of RAIN COLD
28. EVER SO – E (point) + VERSO (other side)
29. ELEVENTH – ELEVE (foreign student) + NTH (last of many)
30. PRAXIS – PR (image building) + A (a) + SIX (number) backwards

2. RETRIEVER – anagram of TERRIER V E
3. EALING – [h]EALING (purpose of ‘ospital)
6. INNATELY – INN (tavern) + AT (at) + ELY (cathedral city)
8. NO SWEAT – anagram of WON SEAT
11. BAY LEAF – double/cryptic definition. (A bay leaf is also a laurel leaf and a laurel wreath was a Roman victor’s emblem.)
14. ASUNDER – AS UNDER (see below)
17. GRAND PRIX – RAN (was quick) in GDP (national economic indicator) + IX (nine). But there’s an R missing from the wordplay, is there not? (But actually no — see comments below.)
18. CURLICUE – ???. Well “Q, say” gives us CUE but as for the first part, I have no clue! Correction — I have no answer!
19. FICTIVE – CT (caught) + I (one) in FIVE (five)
21, 1. DOCTORS COMMONS – DOCTORS (tampers) + COMMONS (house). Doctors Commons was a London building for lawyers in the old days.
22, 24. SILVERSTONE – SILVER (Argentine) + STONE (jewel)
26, 5. CASTAWAY – CAST (actors) + A (a) + WAY (method)

8 Responses to “Financial Times 13,506 by Cinephile”

1. Sil van den Hoek says:

Thanks Pete, for blogging this Cinephile.

To answer one of your questions, the ‘missing’ R in GRAND PRIX comes from ‘take’ which stands for ‘recipe’, being R.

The other mystery (the first part of CURLICUE), well, I didn’t see it 10 days ago and I don’t see it now.
    Maybe (probably?), the almighty Gaufrid has The Answer.

Another thing that I didn’t understand was ‘in Australia’ in 8d – well, perhaps NO SWEAT is typically down under, but my dictionaries do not refer to that.

In 20,23 HARDCASTLE must be Paul Hardcastle, but to call a pop musician a composer is a bit of a stretch [even though Wikipedia indeed does].

Best clues for me:
    FLASHLIGHT [because of ‘in flight’], PERIODIC TABLE, IRONCLAD, ASUNDER and, in particular, RETRIEVER [‘Fox’ being the apt anagrind].
    Quite a lot – so perhaps a good puzzle?

2. Pete Maclean says:

I have never come across ‘take’ cluing recipe before! Kind of round about, no? Thanks for filling me in.

And like you, I do not think of the expression “no sweat” being typically Australian although there I figured Cinephile maybe knew better.

3. Gaufrid says:

Hi Pete and Sil
    I can indeed help out with 18dn. I don’t know whether it is still the practice today, but when I was at primary school many years ago, for the purposes of learning spelling and pronunciation, when soft C was identified as a ‘curly c’ and K as a ‘kicking k’. The wordplay is therefore a homophone of ‘curly Q’.

4. Rishi says:

Epithet for C, not K, applied to Q, say, in a twist (8)

Epithet for C, not K – all of this might give CURLY (for the letter C has a curl and so it can be described as being so, but K cannot be
    applied to – position indicator
    All of the above gives us CURLY Q
    say – homophone ind
    So we get CURLICUE (twist)

5. Rishi says:

Gaufrid

Sorry
    When I started writing my explanation, your Comment was not there. While typing I was called away; in the meanwhile you beat me to it.
    As we have no ‘delete’ button, I have to leave my Comment as it is.

6. Pete Maclean says:

Gaufrid and Rishi, thank you both. I think I would never have figured that out — the “curly c” and “kicking k” are completely new to me.

7. bamberger says:

I finished this with a bit of electronic help but for 28a, faced with ?v?r ?o, I put in over do -wasn’t very happy but if something is intensified , it is overdone.
    29a Nothing else would fit but hadn’t come across eleve before.

8. Pete Maclean says:

Hello bamberger, Thank you for commenting. “Eleve” is the French word for pupil or student. I sometimes have to resort to electronic help as well!