Guardian 25151 Paul – Who could ask for more?

Posted by Uncle Yap on October 26th, 2010

Uncle Yap.

What a lovely day this has been. Having bought a ticket to meet one of my favourite setters on my imminent visit to London, I got to blog another of his masterly concoctions. As if by timely design, he even sang my birthday song at the right time and place, 2 0 1 0.
Indeed, who could ask for more?

ACROSS
5 LOCKJAW Cha of LOCK (rugby player) JAW (talk) for the painful condition aka tetanus
9 GAFFE GAFFER (slang for foreman) minus R
11 TOMFOOLERY Ins of FOOL (pudding) in TOME (book) + RY (ReallY)
12 FAIR dd
14 LABRADOODLE Cha of LA (Los Angeles where Hollywood is) BRA (Paul’s favourite supporter) DOODLE (drawing) for a crossbred (hybrid) dog created by crossing the Labrador Retriever and the Standard or Miniature Poodle
18 COMMENTATOR Sounds like COMMON (plain) TATER (spud or potato)
21 EARN LEARN (master) minus L
22 COLUMN INCH CINCH (easy) around Ins of LUM (smoker) in ON
25 TRIGAMIST Ins of RIG A MISs (manipulate a girl, not quite) in TT (two times) A brilliant clue but doesn’t a bigamist know he also gets two mothers-in-law?
26 COLON dd
27,23,1 PUSHING UP THE DAISIES *(gun his epitaph issued) This is the kind of superb anagram clue which is what I would term quasi &lit
28 EARDRUM *(Advice MURDER)

DOWN
1 DIGITS DIG (like) I (one) TS (ToeS without middle letters)
2 INFAMY Among kinsmen = IN FAMILY minus I L (one left) This reminds me of my schooldays when an English teacher (originally from Kerala) told us NOTORIOUS was being infamously famous. It is remarkable how one remembers such gems from half a century ago.
3 ICE LOLLIES Ins of O (love) in I CELL (single room) LIES (is found)
4 SISAL Ins of IS in SAL (SALT, sailor minus T)
5 LUXURIANT Ins of X (kiss) U (last letter of yoU) in *(in ultra)
6 CAYS Acrostic
7 JEOPARDY Ins of (L) EOPARD, wildcat in JulY
8 WAR CRIES *(aircrew’s) Another anagram clue made fantastic by Paul’s creative wordings
13 TOURING CAR *(ruin go-cart)
15 BUTTONING BUT (though) TONING (going together as in harmony in music)
16 SCREWTOP Ins of CREW (men) in STOP (bar) Chambers supports the 8 enumeration although it is more commonly presented as 5,3 or 5-3
17 SMARTIES SMAR (rev of RAMS, male sheep) TIES (relations)
19 ANGLER Ins of L (first letter of Lancashire) in ANGER (passion) Excellent piece of misdirection from fishing to cricket
20,10 WHEN I’M SIXTY-FOUR In 2010, Uncle Yap qualified to sing this Beatles classic. 64 is the square of 8.
24 MALI Hidden in SOMALIA, another African country

Key to abbreviations
dd = double definition
dud = duplicate definition
tichy = tongue-in-cheek type
cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

25 Responses to “Guardian 25151 Paul – Who could ask for more?”

1. Bryan says:

Many thanks Uncle Yap this was GREAT!

LABRADOODLE was my last – never having heard it before – but well worth striving for.

2d reminded me of Kenneth Williams: Infamy, infamy – they’ve all got it in for me.

Enjoy your trip to London!

2. molonglo says:

Thanks Uncle Yap for another enlightening blog. I knocked this over but couldn’t fully explain for myself 25a (I had RIGA as manipulate a girl, not quite) and 17d (I had SM as males turning up, with a query for ARTIES). As always I enjoyed this from Paul, with special ticks for 14a and 22a, both got about halfway through. 3d was last.

3. Dad'sLad says:

Thanks Uncle Yap and many yappy returns!

Well done Paul, could this be the first time ‘Labradoodle’ has been an answer?

4. NeilW says:

Thanks Uncle Yap

Quite easy for Paul but still all good fun. I wasn’t quite sure about 4dn – I wonder if there was a misprint; should “then cut” have been “when cut”? I couldn’t find a reference giving T as an abbreviation for “then”.

5. Bryan says:

NeilW @4

No misprint: the sailor (SALT) is simply cut to SAL.

6. NeilW says:

Dad’sLad, according to the 152 search engine, LABRADOODLES appeared in the Independent on May 26th this year but never before, singular or plural, in the Guardian, at least in the history of this wonderful site.

7. NeilW says:

Bryan, I understand but am questioning the use of the word “then” to indicate truncation. Trivial point anyway!

8. Dave Ellison says:

Thanks, UY, for the blog and unravelling 25a for me. I was convinced TWO TIMES was BIS, with bits of GIRL, would somehow give BIGAMIST, which, of course, is too short. Eventually got TRIGAMIST, but couldn’t see the explanation.

I found Paul easier today (40′), but quite enjoyable. 14a last in – was looking for a military cross or something like it.

26a Is this not a triple definition? There is a : in the middle of the clue.

6d CAY is a “low island” and a variant of KEY according to my Chambers.

9. Dave Ellison says:

NeilW @ 7. The THEN indicates once you have put IS in SALT what you do next is CUT the T off the end (which is what UY says); also, without the THEN, the surface would be pretty crummy.

10. tupu says:

Thanks UY and Paul

A very enjoyable puzzle.

Having worked our ‘war cries’, I checked Geronimos and discovered that it is used by paratroopers as they jump. A nice additional twist to ‘aircrews’.

Several amusing clues include 14a, 15a, 25a!, 27+a, 15d and 16d.

13d ‘touring car’ was slightly weakened by ‘car’ ready formed in the fodder, but redeemed by the fact that ‘ruin’ was not the anagrind.

Oddly I struggled with 4d. It was quite obviously ‘sisal’ and the ‘is’ was equally obviously inserted into ‘sal’ but I thought it must be ‘sailor’ that was cut i.e. sa(i)l(or)!
    Works but far too clumsy.

11. liz says:

Thanks for the blog, Uncle Yap and I hope you enjoy your trip to London. 14ac was the stand-out clue for me. What I like so much about Paul’s puzzles is that they reveal such a delight in new words. I can imagine him coming across ‘labradoodle’ for the first time and immediately thinking about how to clue it. (BTW they are very nice dogs!)

Trigamist was a new word for me.

Really enjoyable puzzle. But did anyone else think 12ac was a little weak?

Up until now I’ve always struggled to get on Paul’s wavelength, but I managed his last one (as Punk, I think), and finished this today. He does have a very particular style, which I’m warming to; but I can understand that the cheekiness and inventiveness of his clueing is the attraction for his fan club.

Is Hollywood synonymous with LA? No, but that’s his style. Did COMMENTATOR make me laugh? Yes, and that’s his style as well.

So I enjoyed the Guardian puzzle this morning. Thank you Paul, and bon voyage, Uncle Yap!

13. Sil van den Hoek says:

Maybe it is because Loroso’s brilliant FT crossword did spoil my mind, but I found this not a very exciting Paul.

Good as ever, meticulously clued, yet a bit bland.
    [hope I don’t start a war now :)]

Some clues were vintage Paul, like TRIGAMIST (25ac) and PUSHING UP THE DAISIES, where the surfaces added to the fun.
    But even though I appreciate the surface of 8d (WAR CRIES), it was just a touch too easy to find – just like the below average anagram for TOURING CAR [spoilt by the ‘car’ of ‘cart’].
    And yes, liz, I agree with you: 12ac is as ordinary as ordinary can be.
    I also agree with Dave E @8 that COLON is a triple definition.

BTW, is it allowed to use a (kind of) brand name (SMARTIES) as a solution in a crossword?

Thank you Uncle Yap for your blo [remember?].

14. cyniccure says:

Is it being a bit nit-picky to point out that actually, according to the lyric, you STOP being qualified to sing the song when you turn 64? Probably.

Apart from / in spite of that, thank you UY, and thank you Paul. Very enjoyable.

15. arfanarf says:

I’ve only ever managed to fully solve three Guardian Cryptics up to now. So today I was really chuffed to have completed this one.

My first Paul!

I’d like to say a big thank you to all the bloggers and everyone who comments. It’s only through diligently reading this blog and all the comments that I’ve managed this.

Thank you.

16. grandpuzzler says:

Kudos to Paul, Uncle Yap and arfanarf. Struggled somewhat on this puzzle but got there in the end. Trigamist was new to me.

17. Carrots says:

Thanks Paul….and happy birthday Uncle Yap!

I`m ashamed to say that I failed to finish this, over-hastily putting in IGNOMY (Shakesp. version of IGNOMINY)instead of INFAMY at 2 Dn. This threw me for GAFFE. I would say in my own defence that it hits the middle stump as far as a definition is concerned but, of course, it doesn`t meet the requirements of the clue. I did wonder about the legitimacy of SMARTIES, being a brand name, but I`ve encountered “Hoover” and “Biro” in other puzzles, so I guess its OK.

I`d never heard of TRIGMATIST, but nothing else fitted so I put it in. LABRADOODLE was lovely!

18. Carrots says:

P.S. UY: You`re a very young 64 from your photograph!

19. muck says:

Thanks to Paul for a much easier puzzle than Saturday’s Biggles which I still haven’t finished.
    Labradoodle was obvious: not in Chambers but Google found it for me.
    Enjoy your trip to London UY: I always look forward to Tuesdays for your 15sqd blogs.

20. Mr Beaver says:

I agree with KD about 18a – a real good groaner! Also with liz re 12a, a bit weak, but only by comparison with the rest.
    I also liked 11a, not because it was necessarily the greatest clue, but I found it utterly opaque on first few readings, but it made perfect sense once the answer jumped out from crossing letters.
    As for 17d and brand names, I think they’re perfectly fair if widely enough known, which SMARTIES surely are.

21. Carrots says:

Muck@19: Welcome to the club…I`ve got 5 left (after a couple of guesses).

I wish there was some way we could discuss Saturday Prize Puzzle clues without giving the answer away.

22. Sil van den Hoek says:

Why is that, Carrots?
    Last Saturday’s puzzle was, in our opinion, a nice one but understandably literately a mixed bag and therefore not completely coherent because of there being 4 setters.
    There are some special things to say about that puzzle, but I fear you’ll have to wait until Saturday.

In the meantime, better spend time & energy on tomorrow’s double bill (Araucaria & Cinephile).

23. Carrots says:

Sil: I`m not with you: is Biggles one of four setters or one of four pseudonyms? I am looking forward to today`s Araucaria/Cinephile, which I will tackle over a pint or two at lunchtime. Roll on Saturday….I can`t wait to see the answers to the five clues I have so far failed to solve.

24. tupu says:

Hi carrots

see http://bestforpuzzles.com/people/b.html

I did not relaise this till Sil made his cryptic comment. There is also an explanation of the name and a picture of the gang of 4 on the site. See also Bryan’s comment on Araucaria today.

25. mike says:

Very late comment, but the Top Gear dog is/was a labradoodle so that was one solution I fully understood. Many thanks for the explanations of many of the others.