Guardian 25,154 – Logodaedalus

Posted by Andrew on October 29th, 2010

Andrew.

I can repeat almost verbatim the remarks I made about the Auster puzzle that I blogged last week: we haven’t seen Logodaedalus for a while, and this was a very easy puzzle with a lot of rather obvious charades and anagrams. There are also a few examples of his characteristic use of words in the clue that appear unchanged in the answer – see 4dn for example. (On checking, I see it’s actually not that long – his last puzzle was on 16 August.)

1. DISHEARTENED DISH (=food=fare) + EA[ch] + TENDER*
8. RHOMBIC (I RH COMB)*
9. BURGLED GRUB< + LED
11. ARABIST (SAT A RIB)*. I think an Arabist is someone versed in Arab culture generally, so the unadorned “linguist” is not a very satisfactory definition,
12. DIAGRAM I’D< + A GRAM
13. HEAVE HEAVE[N]
14. BLACKLEGS BLACK (gloomy) LEGS (members). I think “Blackleg” has been largely superseded by “scab”, possibly on account of the latter’s better chanting potential.
16. ACCORDERS CORD in CARES*
19. FUNGI FUN + GI
21. ILL-USED ILL + USED.
23. REGATTA (A TARGET)*
24. GIRAFFE RIG + AFFE[cted]
25. EARACHE Hidden in tEA RACHEl
26. ACCLIMATISED (MICE ACID SALT)*

1. DIORAMA RADIO* + MA[st]
2. SUBSIDE SUB + SIDE
3. EXCITABLE C in EXIT + ABLE
4. ROBED OR< + BED
5. EARMARK [H]EAR + MARK (St Mark, evangelist)
6. ENLARGE GENERAL*
7. BREATHTAKING BREATH (life) + TAKING (acceptance)
10. DOMESTICATED (EDDIE’S TOMCAT)*
15. ABSORBENT (BABE SNORT)*
17. CALORIC COAL* + RIC[h]. (“Tough” as anagram indicator? Hmm..) Caloric is the name of a hypothetical fluid once thought to be involved in the transfer of heat.
18. RESTFUL REST (lean, as in leaning on something) + FUL[L]
19. FIGURES Double definition
20. NOTICED Some may drink G&T without ice, or NOT ICED.
22. DREAM RE (about) in DAM. The misleading “I’m” just means “the answer is…”

26 Responses to “Guardian 25,154 – Logodaedalus”

1. Sylvia says:

I think this should read No. 25154 and not 25142. Had me puzzled for a while since I thought today was Sat and this should have been the Biggles solution (25149)!

2. Tokyo Colin says:

Thanks Andrew. I found this fairly easy but nothing like that Auster puzzle last week.

In addition to the archaic meaning, CALORIC has a general meaning of “pertaining to heat” which matches the clue better.

I was surprised when I completed the grid (on my iPhone) that I didn’t receive the Congratulations message. The online version has ADSORBENT for 15dn. The definition is OK but it doesn’t match the anagram fodder so I agree with your solution.

3. NeilW says:

Thanks Andrew

I like your effort to spice this up with a cryptic parsing of 16ac! (Should be CARES*)

4. Bryan says:

Many thanks Andrew this was a NOFWOO for a change!

(NO Foreign Words OR Obscurities)

Well spotted Sylvia @1 re the Numbering Error.

I recall that last Friday (25148) we were handed a very easy Chifonie but that this was immediately followed by a real stinker compiled by the Four Wordsmen of the Apocalypse … So I’m now worrying about tomorrow.

5. Andrew says:

Thanks to Sylvia and NeilW for pointing out the typos – now corrected. (That what comes of blogging after midnight!)

6. Pierre says:

Thank you, Andrew.

I blogged one of Don Putnam’s (aka Logodaedalus) puzzles in the Quiptic last month, and my sense is that in terms of difficulty, today’s crossword is about on a par. We’ve remarked on the Quiptic blogs that there’s often not much difference between what is supposedly a “beginner’s” puzzle and some of the gentler daily cryptics.

Nothing much to complain about here, I don’t think. I liked DOMESTICATED and DISHEARTENED in particular.

7. tupu says:

Thanks Andrew and Logod…

Not much to complain of or write home about.

I found the SW area a bit tricky at first. I had thought 18d was ‘listful’ and then couldn’t do anything with 16a. In any case, ‘accorders’ is not a very attractive answer – I suspect I’ve never seen or heard it before.

As Pierre, I liked domesticated and disheartened, and absorbent was quite nice.

I did not like ‘burgled’ which I understand as describing ‘breaking and entering’ rather than seizing. I gather it is also a C19, though now standard, back-formation from ‘burglar’.

8. Stella Heath says:

Thanks Andrew.

Hi tupu, and thanks to you both, and jerb, for answering my question yesterday. I have no difficulty reading International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) transcriptions, so the link to Wiki was perfect.

I had ‘listing’ to start with, too, at 18d, and before that had tried to fit ‘sycophant’ into 16ac.Just as well it didn’t fit, because I was spelling it the Spanish way, with an ‘i’.

At the end, as usual, I pressed the ‘check all’ button before saving the puzzle, wrote in ‘b’ again at 15d., then obstinately repeated this twice more before deciding the online version was simply wrong.

Apart from that, almost quiptic level, and I expect a few complaints from those who don’t like too many anagrams or CDs. Even I was disappointed by 4d. – it was just too obvious!

9. tupu says:

ps re burgle(d).
    Given that there was an old English law Latin expression burgulare, it seems possible the original English verb was ‘burg(u)lar’ and the original noun was ‘burg(u)larer’ which is till found of course.

10. tupu says:

Hi Stella

Thanks. We crossed. Yes, robed is pretty awful.

re above – for ’till’ sc. ‘still’.

11. walruss says:

IIRC the Guardioan used to have monikers for the beginner thingy distinct from those in the main puzzle, and setters too, but maybe now the Ed just plonks on any old offering regardless opf its difficulty no matter who has set it. Seems that way, but of course as you know I don’t like the way the Guardian is inconsistent!! As for this puzzle, well, uninspiring is the kind description for me.

12. stiofain says:

Yes Walruss judging from the last few weeks the ( admirable ) policy of difficulty increasing through the week has been dumped by Mr Stephenson. I also think this wasnt even of quiptic standard.

13. Roger says:

Thanks Andrew. (one small point … RIG could probably do with a ‘<' in 24a).
    Agree with others that this was a rather bland offering from Logowhateverhisnameis. 25a raised a smile, though.

14. grandpuzzler says:

Thanks Logo and Andrew. 5D and 25A – ‘ear! ‘ear!

15. Carrots says:

A quick lunchtime solve at near Rightback speed of half-a-pinta-a-puzzle. Had to go out and get a Times…at an expensive £1 a page because I threw the rest of the doormat away. I`m down to three in last Saturday`s Biggles, so roll on tomorrow`s solution, which will probably result in my kicking myself black and blue.

16. Stella Heath says:

Hi tupu@9,

Yes, that’s a logical evolution of the word.

Hi Walruss, I disagree – while the quiptics have seemed at times a little tough for a beginner, they’re never at the level of a prize, for example.

On the other hand, as has been pointed out recently, it’s hard to assess the difficulty of a puzzle, and even harder to adjust to a certain level. I’m sure Hugh Stephenson does his best to comply with Guardian policy, and takes note of our comments. I’ve no doubt he looks in here regularly, as it was his recommendation that brought me to this site.

17. Bryan says:

Stella @ 16

Are you really sure that ‘Hugh Stephenson does his best to comply with Guardian policy’?

I always understood that he was the sole arbiter of Guardian policy on Crosswords.

However, I rather suspect that the typos – like in today’s online ‘solution’ of ADSORBENT for 15dn – are deliberately introduced by the PR staff to sustain The Grauniad’s well deserved and hard earned image.

18. Stella Heath says:

:lol:

Too true, Bryan, typos have been bugging me since I suscribed to the Guardian Weekly, and I suspect the day-by-day must be more difficult to edit. But they don’t usually turn up in the crosswords.

I’m intrigued to read Mr. Stephenson’s November newsletter.

19. Bryan says:

Hey look what I’ve found:

Yes, it’s the annotated solution to last Saturday’s Prize Puzzle!

OK so it does say ‘annoted’ in the link.

Enjoy!

20. liz says:

Thanks, Andrew. My favourite clue was 10dn and I also really liked the (admittedly easy) hidden answer in 25ac, simply for the surface. 16ac and 18dn caused me the most trouble. Like a few others, I thought 4dn was pretty weak.

21. Sil van den Hoek says:

Unbelievable, liz – as by magic you highlight [and downlight :)] exactly, yes exactly, the same clues as my Partner-in-Crime today!

A day that brought us a crossword that fully suited the downward spiral (as far as difficulty is concerned) of this week.
    See who’s there tomorrow – isn’t it Pasquale’s turn?

First (and final) question: is there anyone around who calls a yes-man an ‘accorder’?
    I know, Chambers gives us the noun, but even so.

22. tupu says:

Hi Sil
    Certainly not me. As noted above, I don’t think I’ve ever seen or heard it before let alone used it! Not quite as bad as hacek, though, since it is at least English and one can guess that it has something to do with agreement.

23. Scarpia says:

Thanks Andrew.
    Generally agree with comments above,but I thought 10 down was excellent.

24. liz says:

Hi Sil. Glad to agree with your PIC!

Agree that ‘accorder’ is not very satisfactory. Perhaps why it was my last one in.

25. Roger says:

Well, that’s another little mystery cleared up then, Sil. Never could decide whether PinC referred to your Partner-in-Crime or Partner-in-Crosswords … but I guess it could be either/both :)

26. ernie says:

Thank you Andrew and Logo.

Enjoyable and do-able.