Independent 7495 (Sat 23-Oct) Nestor

Posted by beermagnet on October 30th, 2010

beermagnet.

The Indy’s Prize schedule and the blogging calendar have lately coincided so that more often than not I end up with Nestor. I find his crosswords a bit easier than the likes of say, Nimrod or Anax, but as a blogger I don’t mind that – I’d rather get the answer and the wordplay than not! But this crossword turned out to have a sting in the tail. After a typical Nestor start with a few very gettable answers I got stuck with a handful left and struggled to finish.

It was much later that I noticed the Nina – unusual for Nestor:
Top and 3rd row, and bottom row, Spell out Dansette Junior, Paranoid

Googling tells me, Paranoid is a recent track by Dansette Junior. A hit with all the Indie kids. This link tells more and has the video of the track which I found I liked very much.

I’m still not definite about several bits of wordplay though in most cases the actual answer is solid.

9 EHRLICH (Nobe)L inside EH! (What(!)) RICH (productive) Ref Paul Ehrlich who was a famous German scientist. Not famous enough for me – despite my science background I don’t know much about medicine or biochemistry so I struggled with this and was reduced to scanning a list of Nobel winners before the penny dropped.
10 YEAR-END Wordplay trouble: How do we get YEAR from ‘wanted to have switch-over’ ? Clue:
Accountant’s dealine wanted to have switch-over just before completion (4-3)
11 UNPREVENTED UN (One) PR (priest) EVEN (equable) TED (father in sitcom).  I liked the Def.: Like a Catholic birth.
12 SAC Hidden in kangaroo’S A Capacious
13 EGG POWDER EG (Say) GP (doctor) OW! (that hurts) DER (German’s the)
16 SERAI ARE (live) in IS (island) all reversed A Serai (or Sarai) was Caravan station for traders and travellers and their camels.
17 DEAD TREE EDITION This CD took me a long time to see and the inevitable “Doh!” when I saw that I had 8D wrong, especially as I always necessarily do the Saturday Crossword from the “DTE”.
19 CADET CA (Roughly – Circa) DE[b]T (Billions wiped from liability)
21 STEINBECK (TIE’S)* AInd: frayed, then B[lack] inside NECK (where it’s worn – tie, that is)
23 SIP First letters: Sophistication In People
24 ROSE THEATRE ROSE (was erected) AT (present) inside THERE (that location)
27 AIRHEAD RHEA (Flightless bird) inside AID (help)
28 ORDINEE DINE (to eat) inside ORE (product of mine)
1 DE JURE (JUDE)* AInd: upset, then RE (about), Def: by law. Slight misdirection involving the current actor, but the solution was clear if you knew the term.
2 ARUP [Naz]AR[eth] UP The famous firm named after Sir Ove Arup. Last answer in but mainly because I needed the R from Ehrlich to end my confusion about what was the “heart of Nazareth”.
3 NINE-FOOT (OF NOTE IN)* AInd: redesign
4 SHIELDLESS L[a]DLES (soup utensils leaving area) inside SHIES. Def. Unprotected. The initial “Tosses about” in the clue appears to be an anagrind for (LADLES – A)* but I can’t see that it is necessary. This was one of those final few tough clues for me
5 EYOT TOYE[d]< Def. Isolated spot. You may not consider a little river island a particularly isolated place, but one man has become Robinson Crusoe on Chiswick Eyot on the Thames. I wonder if he can still get the papers delivered?
6 TARDIS TAR (Sailor) DIS (put down)
7 TEA SERVICE TEASER (difficult question) VICE (corruption)
8 EDUCTION EDUC[a]TION Def: Perhaps worming out. Eduction is like deduction. I wrote in EDUCTING from the sense of the definition and I’d say that verb fits the def. better than the noun. Confused and delayed the answer for 17A as a result.
14 GRAND OPERA RAN (organised) DOPE (drug) R[un], all inside GA (Georgia)
15 RE-ELECTION REEL (cylinder) [s]ECTION
17 DOCUSOAP (COP DUO AS)* AInd: Broadcast. First clue answered and only the second read to deliver lots of juicy first letters. At this point I thought it was going to be an easier Nestor.
18 INNUENDO (NUDE)* AInd: frolicking inside INNO[vate] (semi-ingenuous) I’m not sure about that last bit of wordplay.
20 TURNER or TUREEN maybe.  I have T-R-E-.  I don’t undertand the wordplay here and guessed TURNER as more likely fitting the definition assuming it’s “in rotation”. I can see URN from Hooch minder possibly but by the same token that could be the definition giving TUREEN … Help!
Hooch minder who works in rotation (6)
22 KEENED DEN (a ahaunt) EEK! (frightful cry) All reversed
25 SODA SOD (To hell with!) A
26 TONI TONI[c] (Another “diluter of spirits” (like SODA) almost finished) The ellipsis at the beginning of the clue has to be recognised as integral to the wordplay. Tricky.

9 Responses to “Independent 7495 (Sat 23-Oct) Nestor”

1. Richard Heald says:

10 Ac is YEARNED with the N and E switched.

In 18 Dn, I think the “semi-ingenuous” bit is INNO[cent].

20 Dn is a DD, the first two words referring to the film Turner & Hooch about a cop whose partner is a dog, made at a time in the late ’80s when “mismatched-buddy” movies were popular and Tom Hanks’s career trajectory was still running roughly parallel to Steve Guttenberg’s!

2. jmac says:

Hi Beermagnet, thanks for the blog. I also found this quite a bit tougher than I had been expecting. I thought EHRLICH was a bit obscure although the crossing letters helped a lot; Also, ARUP is not normally on the tip of my tongue, and TURNER and Hooch is a film probably best forgotten. There were, however lots of great clues, with humour, to keep me going – TEA SERVICE, UNPREVENTED, and TONI (where the nina helped) were my favoutites.

3. Allan_C says:

Thanks for the blog, beermagnet. But I think I must be a bit thick this morning; could you explain what ‘AInd’ stands for? If I have seen it explained previously I’ve forgotten it.

Does anyone know if NINE-FOOT has any special meaning? In railway parlance one encounters ‘four-foot’ (the space between gte rails, actually 4’8½” in standard gauge), ‘six-foot’ (nominally the space between two adjacent tracks) and ‘ten-foot’ (a wider space between pairs of tracks).

4. Allan_C says:

For ‘gte rails’ read ‘the rails’ (typing fingers in a twist!)

5. jmac says:

Allan, I think it stands for anagram indicator.

6. Allan_C says:

Thanks, jmac. I obviously am a bit thick this morning!

7. nmsindy says:

Thanks for the blog, beermagnet, and Nestor for the puzzle which was very inventive. Seeing the Nina (tho I too had no idea what it referred to) helped me finish.

8. Uncle Yap says:

I found this hard (more than an hour) and had to come here to see the Nina which, I fear, is lost to 99% of solvers unless they come here. Is there any legend in the original puzzle to indicate such a hidden gem? (I ask because I get this puzzle one week late on-line and there’s no indication)

Surely, after having spend so much time and effort to squeeze the Nina in, Nestor would love for his Nina to be discovered to the accompaniment of smiles and “What a clever dickie he is”

Beermagnet, good blog. Maybe we will get to share another pint during my imminent visit to Blighty

9. beermagnet says:

Thanks for the extra bits and corrections everybody.

Richard, I should’ve seen that NE swap inside YEARNED. What a good device.
    You’re right about INNOCENT rather than INNOVATE though I correctly typed in ‘ingenuous’ from the puzzle I was thinking ‘ingenious’.
    As for Turner & Hooch, I have obviously done the best thing (thanks jmac) and forgotten it.

Allan, I wondered about NINE-FOOT too. I don’t think it has any particular significance except as a length, and actually though it was a bit of a cop-out – that was before I saw the Nina so I suspect it was chosen to support that.

I didn’t see that Nina till much, much later when I spotted PARANOID on the bottom row. Only after googling PARANOID + DANSETTE did I spot the JUNIOR lurking in there.

UY: There was no preamble on the paper crossword to indicate a Nina and also we rarely get them from Nestor so that was a bit of a surprise. Probably see you at the Guardian event Nov 30th. I was quick fingered enough to get a ticket and I thought I saw you comment that you’d be there too.