Independent 7502 by Merlin

Posted by NealH on November 1st, 2010

NealH.

Continuing the recent run of themed puzzles in the Indy, this one contained a number of literary adulteresses. It was quite easy to get going, with a lot of easy starter clues, but took a bit of work to tease out all the names.

1 Exam: (M(arks) axe)<.
3 Addressing: A [woun]d + dressing.
10 Mortal sin: Not sure about this. The only thing I can think of is it’s mortals (=people) + in (alighted). Doubtless, other people will be able to come up with a better explanation.
11 Vesta: Vest(=settle) + a.
12 Brave New World: Brave (=hardy) + New World (=American).
14 Voter: (Rev around to)<.
15 Oppressed: op ed around press.
18 Reappears: I think this is rapper’s with E and a in it.
20 Sisal: (As is)< + [mora]l. A word that seems to be coming up quite frequently recently.
22 A bit on the side: (The antibodies)*.
26 Diana: (In)diana, referencing Indiana Jones and Diana the goddess of hunting.
27/28 Constance Chatterley: Con ley around stance + chatter.
29 Tess: Sets* (Tess of the D’Urbervilles).
1 Emma Bovary: Mme< + a b(achelor) + ovary.
2 Abreast: A beast around r.
4 Desdemona: (Dame’s done)*.
5 Renew: (W[i]ener)<.
6 Sever: Sever[e].
7 Insides: In side (= team batting) + ‘s(=has).
8 Goat: DD (go at).
9 Name drop: Pomander*.
13 Adulteress: (Lust seared)*.
16 Past tense: Passe around nett<.
17 Ensheath: Ens (=being) + heath.
19 Alabama: A lama around ab.
21 Science: C(ocaine) + E(cstasy) in since.
23 Inapt: Nap in it.
24 Oscar: O + scar.
25 Odic: ODI (one day international) + c(=about).

12 Responses to “Independent 7502 by Merlin”

1. scchua says:

Thanks NealH for the blog and Merlin for a crossword that was a bit of a “quickie” (especially after last Fri’s and Sat’s).

I think you’re right with 10A MORTAL SIN and 18A REAPPEARS.

4D DESDEMONA was an early one in, leading to 13D and its mini-theme. Favourites we 18A REAPPEARS, 22A A BIT ON THE SIDE and 26A DIANA.

2. Richard says:

Nice crossword, although I did get held up for some time having entered “light” for 11. I later realised that “vesta” was the correct answer, but I wonder if I’m the only one who got caught out like that?

Thank you, Neal.

I had a similar experience: I got the gateway clue at 13dn straightaway, then a few other easyish ones to get me going and reveal the theme; but then took an age to nail the final few clues.

When MORTAL SIN and SIGN OF THE CROSS appeared alongside ADULTERESS, I thought we were in for a bit of lapsed Catholic stuff; but the actual theme was very cleverly done, and was a pleasure for me because it showcased two of my favourite authors, D H Lawrence and Thomas Hardy.

Very good puzzle – on this form, I could handle Merlin a bit more often in the Indy.

By the way, for contributors to the blog on Friday, and others, I can reveal that I had a private e-mail from Gaufrid’s PA on Sunday afternoon around half three saying that there has been too much off-topic comment on football recently and that the subject must not be referred to under any circumstances today.

4. walruss says:

I would certainly not call Desdemona an adulteress! How libellous can 15 Squared get?!

5. Gaufrid says:

Hi K’s D
    I’ve no idea to what you are referring in your final paragraph. Please elucidate. Certainly nothing originated from me, I was busy with site maintenance at the time.

6. flashling says:

Nice try K’s D, I’m no-one will mention the score at all :-)
    Lovely little crossword, relatvely easy once 13 down was solved – an apt anagram that one.

7. Conrad Cork says:

A gem of a puzzle, as we have come to expect from Merlin. Much enjoyed.

8. nmsindy says:

Yes, a very good puzzle, with some great clues and great presentation of the overall theme. Favourites, DIANA and NAME DROP. Re walruss’ comment at #4, it did, I think, say ‘falsely accused’ in the clue. Many thanks for the blog, NealH, and thanks to Merlin for the puzzle.

9. Stella says:

Thanks NealH and Merlin.

It was immediately obvious that the way into this one was via 13d, and the adulteresses, including the falsely accused one are sufficiently well known to make solving a pleasure rather than a slog – though I had forgotten Lady’s Chatterley’s first name.

I think you’ll find in 15d. that ‘clear’=’nett’, with two ‘t’s.

With regard to 10ac., though, you got closer to explaining it than I did :)

10. jetdoc says:

I too enjoyed this — ideal for a busyish Monday morning. No, Richard @2 — you’re not the only one (though, when I realised, I felt I should have been more careful).

11. dram says:

Thanks Merlin (and Neal for the blog), just right for my level, I always wish themed puzzles have a reasonably easy clue to get you into the theme and 13d fitted the bill perfectly

12. Wil Ransome says:

I don’t think anyone has said either of the following above, but apologies if someone has and I’ve missed it:

‘in’ in 10ac I took to = ‘alight’, as in ‘the fire’s in’

Neal I think that 5dn is simply a reversal not an anagram.