Financial Times 13,525 – Dante

Posted by Uncle Yap on November 4th, 2010

Uncle Yap.

Monday Prize Crossword on 25 October 2010
Unfortunately, someone made a small error in the grid resulting in the first and last Across answers not fitting the extra space provided. This also played havoc with the numbering of clues. Luckily I have my Tea & Sympathy and was able to rectify the error, but only for myself.
The glitch did not detract from my enjoyment of the fortnightly opener from Dante, slick and glib as ever.

ACROSS
1 GET BY dd
4 FAREWELL FARE (food) WELL (water)
10 RECORD dd alluding to vinyl gramophone records being cut
11 JUNCTION cd
13 FUNCTION dd
14 TASTES *(states)
16 TART dd sounds like Number 24 with fried rice
17 STRAIGHT UP Ironic dd
20 OCCIDENTAL *(Colin acted)
21 LIKE dd
24 NEEDED Rev of ins of River DEE in DEN (study)
26 TERRAPIN *(A PRINTER)
28 BETRAYAL Cha of BET (woman) RAY & AL (two men) Bet is a very uncommon abbreviation of Elizabeth but it is given in Chambers Dictionary of First Names
29 CARESS CARES (is anxious) S (first letter of School)
30 SPARKING Tichy way of saying King of spar (boxing champion)
31 LEPER Palindrome (5)

DOWN
2 ECCENTRIC Noun and adjective respectively
3 BERATE Ins of RAT (desert) in BEE (worker)
5 ARUM A + RUM (rev of MUR, French for wall) perennial plant of the cuckoo pint or wake-robin genus Arum
6 EXCHANGE EX (out of) CHANGE (money)
7 ELIOT ELI (Samuel’s teacher) OT (rev of TO) George Eliot is the pen name of Mary Anne (Mary Ann, Marian) Evans (1819–1880), an English novelist of the Victorian era with classics such as The Mill on the Floss and Silas Marner.
8 LINES UP dd which only Dante knows how
9 PROFIT PRO (not against) FIT (healthy)
12 CONTEND CON (mislead) TEND (doctor)
15 MANAGED *(game and)
18 TAILPIECE TAIL (dog) PIECE (bit)
19 IDLE TALK cd
20 OMNIBUS Rev of SUB (u-boat) IN MO (moment / instant)
22 ERNEST Ins of R (middle letter of afteRnoon) in *(TENSE)
23 ORNATE Ins of N (last letter of kitcheN) in ORATE (talk)
25 EXTRA dd
27 CAIN Cha of CA (rev of ACcount) + IN

Key to abbreviations
dd = double definition
dud = duplicate definition
tichy = tongue-in-cheek type
cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

5 Responses to “Financial Times 13,525 – Dante”

1. Sil van den Hoek says:

Thanks UY for the blog of another Dante.

I have the puzzle here right in front of me, so I see that I put five ?’s.
    The ones at RECORD and BETRAYAL are not that relevant anymore, although I agree with you that BET for ‘woman’ is not that great.
    TAIL PIECE (18d) defined by ‘final news item’ was another question mark.
    As was ‘Nut or nuts’ for ECCENTRIC – don’t tell me that it’s just about a noun versus an adjective. Ah well, you did. Very poor, if this is what it is.
    Question mark #5 was for 19d – I think a feeble cd.

But then – it is Dante, and so there are some fantastic clues, too.
    What a beautiful surface and imagery in OMNIBUS (20d).
    Winner #2 : 26ac (TERRAPIN) with its fine surface.

But surely the Clue of the Day:
    MANAGED (15d) “Controlled game and set”.
    …and Match !! :)

2. Richard says:

Isn’t 16a a dd rather than a cd?

3. Uncle Yap says:

Richard, you are right, it is a dd … oops

4. Tony Welsh says:

I had no trouble fixing the grid and completing the puzzle, but where is today’s answer (13534)? I have done it all except 22a but am also curious to understand the word play for 27a which I assume is “gees”.

5. bamberger says:

Someone advised that the FT site had put up the correct version and this goes down as my first ever unaided FT crossword solve.
    Took an eternity to get 7d