Independent 7,505/Phi

Posted by Ali on November 4th, 2010

Ali.

Phi gets bumped from his usual Friday slot for the second week running, this time hopefully to make way for a Bonfire Night/Diwali special tomorrow!

This was the usual high quality, neatly clued, puzzle from Phi with 6 double-word answers around the perimeter and through the middle opening up the grid nicely. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t cheat on ETIOLOGIES though, and still don’t fully understand the clue.

1/4 AURORA BOREALIS – (OUR AERIAL ORBS + A)*
10 END RESULT – (SENDER) * + ULT.
11 INCAN – [-t]IN CAN
12 ICON – 1 + CON.
13 TREMOLANDO – (TENOR + MODAL)*
15/16 ARABIAN NIGHTS – AR[-e] + N(ew) + (THING)* in A BIAS
19 TETRAD – T[-erribl]E + TRAD
21 EYEWEAR – E(nglish) + YE + WEAR
23 OVERSLEEPS – Cryptic def.
25 SCAN – C(aught) in SAN
27 HARPO – HARPO[-on]
28 SCREWBALL – SCREW (wages) + BALL (dance)
29/30 CASSETTE PLAYER – (SECRETLY TAPES + A)*
1/22 AMERICAN GOTHIC – GO in (MAIN ARCHITEC[-t])*
2 RADIO WAVE – (A VIEW + ROAD)*
3 REBEL – RE[-b]EL
5/21 OTTOMAN EMPIRE – (TROOP MEANTIME)*
6 ETIOLOGIES – Can’t quite piece this together. There has to be EGOTIS and EGO in the anagram I think, but we need an L from somewhere!
7 LUCAN – LUC[-k] + AN
8/18 SENIOR WRANGLER – (RELEARNING ROWS)*
9 FUN RUN – UN on F and R
14 MICROSCOPE – C in (COMPOSER I)*
17 THEOCRACY -THE + CO. rev + RACY
20 DEEP-SET – T[-h]E SPEED rev.
24 EARNS – N(ote) in EARS
26 AWOL – A + LOW rev.

11 Responses to “Independent 7,505/Phi”

1. Ben SS says:

Hi

I think 12ac is I+DO+L isn’t it? Or have the Liberals slipped so far that CON is an acceptable abbreviation?

6d is, I think, (ELITIS + EGO + O)* with “lot of elitism” being all but the last.

2. Jake says:

thanks for the blog Ali. I found this particularly easy. Did anyone else? Still top quality though, I very much needed a more relaxed puzzle to wake my brain this morning.

Nice one Phi.

3. scchua says:

Thanks Ali for the blog and Phi for another enjoyable puzzle.

Absolutely no quibbles with the clueing, and a nice touch by Phi to make those 2 word answers follow-on naturally as eg. round the perimeter.

Ali, I think 6A ETIOLOGIES is (ELITIS(m) + EGO + O)*, the last “O” from “nothing more”.

Favourites were the abovementioned 2 word answers especially the &lit 29,30 CASSETTE PLAYER. I also liked 21A EYEWEAR and 9D FUN RUN.

4. flashling says:

I’ve got IDOL for 12 as well and the same reasoning as Ben SS on 6dn.

Didn’t quite get to be a Senior Wrangler in my studies alas.

I notice 1/4 is the Southern hemisphere’s version but I believe Phi lives in NZ and can see them.

Thanks Phi and Ali.

5. nmsindy says:

Unlike Jake at #2, I found this quite tough for a Phi puzzle. I thought it was excellent and worked everything out in the end. Esp liked EYEWEAR, TETRAD and FUN RUN and clues for the long answers were v good too. In OVERSLEEPS I think there a bit of a wordplay element ie OVER (as a consequence of) SLEEPS but maybe that is just semantics. Thanks for the blog, Ali, and Phi for the puzzle.

6. Handel says:

Another lovely puzzle from Phi. Only etiologies proved problematic, but got there in the end. The very clean grid coupled with perfectly fair cluing made this an absolute joy to solve.

7. walruss says:

Very nice indeed. A couple of obscure entries for me, but the clueing, if a little predictable, is fair enough. Well done Phi.

Super crossword as always with Phi. Most of it was straightforward, with a pretty generous grid helping the solve; but the last few held me up before it finally fell. Last one in was SENIOR WRANGLER when the crossing and remaining letters couldn’t be anything else. Can’t say I’ve heard of it before, but a flirt with Wiki confirmed it. I wasn’t mad keen on the clueing for ETIOLOGIES – it’s fair, but a bit convoluted. Small niggle though.

I too put ICON at first for 12ac, smiled at the conflation of Lib and Con in the light of the current coalition, then inserted the correct answer.

Phi’s version of 1/4 would be AURORA AUSTRALIS, The Southern Lights, I think.

Thanks for blogging, Ali. I’d be putting my money on fireworks from Eimi tomorrow as well.

9. pennes says:

I enjoyed this , nothing too convoluted. I liked cassette player and fun run and eyewear too

10. Ali says:

Thanks all for the corrections. I clearly got my egos and elitisms confused for 6D and did wonder whether there was some sly dig at Clegg and co. going on in 12A. IDOL is of course the much more sensible (and correct) answer!

11. flashling says:

Ali I can see your point re idol/icon, how well phi picks up political uk stuff though is debatable as he doesn’t live here. But I would have prefered your cynical answer if the word play had been marginally different.