Financial Times 13,535 / Orense

Posted by C G Rishikesh on November 5th, 2010

C G Rishikesh.

Today is Diwali in India. On this festival day I am shortly going out to greet my sisters and brothers who live in other parts of Chennai. This crossword was a quick and pleasant solve for me. Neat wordplay throughout. The two ‘hidden’ clues are well-concealed. I got the top half first, then bottom right and finally bottom left.

(Today I wrote my blog in MS Word and pasted it here: that caused a lot of problems and I carried out many keystrokes to bring the blog to some shape. However, I am unable to increase the type size. Sorry for the inconvenience. I must go now. )  Update: Gaufrid has set it right.

ACROSS
1 Things to wear left in bags (6) S(L)ACKS
5 Pinched permit offering handy protection (8) GAUNT LET – “pinched” as in “Her face has a pinched look”
9 Associates company with unusual dreams (8) CO-(MRADES)*
10 American magazine adopting British tone (6) TIM(BR.)E
11 Ridicule half of side – rubbish (6) DE-BUNK
12 Rural Indian city rain destroyed (8) AGRA-(RIAN)*
14 Crazy about security devices for Swiss products (6,6) CUCKOO C LOCKS
18 Representation of rash cop abuse: demand from court (6,6) (HABEAS CORPUS)*
22 Speak sharply and go for exposure (8) SNAP SHOT
25 Freedom to move with little backing in place (6) L(EEW<)AY
26 Type of music / book (6) GOSPEL
27 Quietly put bet on rerun (8) P LAY BACK
28 Academic bosses conceal evidence of debt (8) STUD(IOU)S
29 Sings badly – notedly so, but not dismissed (6) (YODELS)* after deleting NOT from NOTEDLY SO

DOWN
2 Look – rising protest came ominously close (6) LO (OMED<)
3 Gemstone (black) relative found under vehicle (9) CAR B UNCLE
4 Close friends’ thrills supporting team (9) SIDE KICKS
5 Suggest a potential prison for secret police (7) GESTAPO
6 Executed lunatic, say (5) [n]UTTER
7 Row about source of money for one of 14 (5) TI(M)ER
8 Identifies listeners embracing a 26 (8) EAR(MARK)S
13 Prison’s roof has gone – that’s trouble (3) [j]AIL
15 Vessel revolutionising all piracy (9) (CAPILLARY)*
16 Where to find the rest of the shellfish? (6,3) OYSTER BED
17 Reversible cam? (8) RAINCOAT (from cam< which is Mac.)
19 Idiot taking millions out of service (3) [m]ASS
20 In the main, one is well armed (7) OCTOPUS
21 Brat is locked in after a scaling (6) RASCAL
23 Transported by / such music (5) PIPED
24 Lobby organisation’s initial greeting (5) HALL O

5 Responses to “Financial Times 13,535 / Orense”

1. Gaufrid says:

Hi Rishi
    Thanks again for standing in for Shuchi. I have removed all the redundant HTML from your post (there was rather a lot of it!) and so it now appears with the normal sized font. I only hope I haven’t deleted anything that was intended to be there. I checked as thoroughly as I could but, given the original font size, I might have missed something.

2. C G Rishikesh says:

Gaufrid
    Thanks.
    I have reread the blog and it’s OK.

Thanks for the blog, Rishi, and I hope you’re having a happy Diwali.

Here in Leicester, we have the biggest Diwali celebrations in the UK and, as this year it coincides with Bonfire [Guy Fawkes] Night, there will be plenty of fireworks later on.

4. bamberger says:

Solved all bar 26a, 17d -I bet that is an old chestnut -I’ll rememebr it and 23d.
    I’d hoped for a Guy Fawkes theme -Catherine Wheel, banger, sparkler, bonfire, guy etc

5. smiffy says:

A good puzzle for a Friday, I thought. Was given a leg-up to a quick start by 1A employing a near-identical concept to one that I’d already encountered earlier in the day in the Times puzzle. I agree that the SW corner was the trickiest.

Also noted that the two 3-letter downs (19 + 13) could be elided to form a single answer; a stylistic tilt that the likes of Cinephile often seem to exploit.

Belated Diwali wishes from me too, Rishi. The “Festival of the Lights” must be the most crossword-appropriate religious celebration of them all….(now, perhaps that’s a theme for next year?)