Independent 7,510/Dac

Posted by Ali on November 10th, 2010

Ali.

Great stufff as ever from Dac, who can make even the simplest double definition clue effortlessly elegant. There were one or two trickier clues in here I thought, but every one of them was a pleasure to solve.

1 HOP IT – H(ead) O(ffice) + PIT rev.
4 GOING-OVER – Double def.
9 GOOD SPORT – O[-l]D in GOSPORT
10 TATRA – R[-ugged] in TA-TA
11 CITRUS – Hidden in picniC I TRUSt
12 VILLAINY – I think this is VILLA + IN rev. + Y
14 ASTI – ASTI[-r]
15 SATURNALIA – SAT(urday+ + URN + ALIA – Good to see Dac avoiding the hoary old anagram of Australian!
19 SQUILLIONS – QUILL + I in SONS
20 SCAM – C(lub) in SAM (Spade)
22 HANDSOME – D(uchess) in HANSOM in [-theatr]E
23 DRAGON – DR. + AGON[-y]
26 DODGE – Double def.
27 LARA CROFT – (FRA[-1]L ACTOR)*
28 PAST TENSE – (TAPES SENT)*
29 SWEAR – S(chool) + WEAR
1 HIGH CLASS – Cryptic/double def.
2 PROST – R(uns) in POST
3 TISSUE – (USES IT)*
4 GOON – GO ON!
5 INTRUGUING – Double def.
6 GET ALONG – Double def.
7 VITRILOIC – TRIO in (CIVIL)*
8 READY – READ + Y(ear)
13 GALIA MELON – 1 in (A LONG MEAL)*
15 TOURNEDOS – N(ew) + E[-staminet] + DO (cook) in TOURS
17 ADMONITOR – A D(aughter) + MOTOR around NI
18 FLY-SHEET – HE in FLY + SET
21 BRACES – B(ritish) + RACES
22 HAD UP – HA[-r]D UP
24 GOOLE – “Ghoul”
25 FREE – Double def.

13 Responses to “Independent 7,510/Dac”

Thank you, Ali, for the blog and for explaining a couple I didn’t understand.

I couldn’t finish this one today – I would never have got SQUILLIONS in a squillion years, and I also couldn’t see TATRA or FLY SHEET. Nothing wrong with the clues (this is Dac) but just a bit too obscure for me this morning, so I’ll just have to console myself with last night’s thoroughly deserved point against an allegedly Champions League class side, eimi. But lots else in the puzzle to enjoy as usual.

I did get LARA CROFT, since I live in Derbyshire. Confused? Don’t be. The original computer game character was first conceived by a games developer based in Derby. Earlier this year a new ring road was opened in the city, and after a public vote it was named Lara Croft Way. Which tells you all you need to know about the citizens of Derby. As they say: ‘Derby born, Derby bred; strong in’t arm, thick in’t head.’

They’re nice folk really. Thanks for the puzzle, Dac, I’ll get the better of you next Wednesday, I hope.

2. nmsindy says:

Excellent puzzle, slightly trickier I thought than Dac usually is, favourites the above-mentioned SQUILLIONS and HAD UP. Hardest clue FLY SHEET.

3. NealH says:

I didn’t quite follow Tatra and still have a few doubts about it. I’ve always thought of tata as being goodbye rather than cheers. It might be intended as a plural i.e. two tas, but but cheers itself in that context isn’t really a plural. Other than that, nice solid stuff from Dac.

4. Stella Heath says:

I got Lara Croft, but others, like Tatra, Goole or squillions are completely new to me, making the last of these impossible to solve.

I agree with NealH regarding 10ac.

Thanks for the blog, Ali but you have a couple of typos, notably at 5 and 7 down :)

5. jmac says:

A fine puzzle, a bit harder than I was expecting, Loved PAST TENSE,didn’t get SQUILLIONSdespite all the crossing letters. Thanks for the blog Ali

6. eimi says:

Neal and Stella: You may not like ‘cheers’ as ‘goodbye’ (ta-ta), but it’s in both Collins and Chambers.

7. flashling says:

Surprisingly tricky after yesterday and didn’t get squillions either although the clue is sound, just nicely misleading. I think the more double defs the harder the crossword gets to solve.

Got Goole remembering Goole from a Ronnie Barker sketch with the line “In Goole it will be cool but in Lissingdown – you’d better take an umbrella”

8. Lenny says:

I’m still new to the Indy so I don’t know what to expect from the different setters. I found this very easy but impeccably clued. Further to eimi’s explanation, I think certain navy-blazered types do say ta-ta when they take a drink as an alternative to down the hatch or cheers.

I got squillions because it is a popular word in crosswordland. Also, I followed the old adage that, if you have a U, try putting a Q in front of it.

I probably only got Goole because I had just been looking at Friends Reunited and came across an old school friend who came from Yorkshire and who’s nickname was… Goole.

That is one example of serendipity, another is the fact that the same words crop up in different puzzles. So saturnalia was memorably clued by Armonie in yesterday’s FT as an anagram of Australian so it was a gimme today. People scoff and say this is entirely consistent with the laws of probability but it happens so often that I am beginning to have my doubts.

Thanks to KD, I’ll look out for Lara Croft Way the next time I’m driving through Derby.

9. Wil Ransome says:

Ashamed to say that I was defeated today. Had never heard of FLY-SHEET and was unable to get SQUILLIONS.

10. Wil Ransome says:

Something is going very wrong with my computer. The previous message wasn’t meant to be posted. Had meant to add that I don’t know my east from my west so had expected that there was a mountain range called Tatda. Not that the correct one meant anything to me. None of this is any fault of Dac, who was as usual excellent.

11. redddevil says:

Sorry for being dopey but why is FLY clever (or outwardly clever) in 18d?

12. nmsindy says:

reddevil, this was a tricky clue. fly = clever, knowing, cute (adj). The rest of the wordplay works, I think, by putting outside HE ie ‘he’s outwardly’ ‘clever at the top of the class’ FLYSET ie FLY on top of SET = class to give you FLY S(HE)ET.

13. redddevil says:

Thanks nmsindy. I was happy with the parsing but have never come across that usage of fly in all my many years of reading. Never too old to learn I guess.