Independent 7,516 by Dac

Posted by Simon Harris on November 17th, 2010

Simon Harris.

I thought this was rather good. This was certainly quite challenging, at least for me. Many clues took a lot of working out, and also a lot of discipline not be be misled by the remarkably smooth surface readings. I did think I might not finish, but everything fell into place nicely.

1 BRANDYB + RANDY.
4 STOPPARD – (POP STAR)* + [succeede]D.
9 BONE CHINA – ((ONE + CH) in BIN) + A.
11 LICIT – [so]LICIT[or].
12 OSTENTATIONO + (TEN in STATION).
15 TANGA – TANG + A.
16 REPRESENT – dd.
18 IMPLEMENT – [s]IMPLE MEN T[heoretically].
19 PAEANEA in PAN.
20 CURIOSITIES – RIO in US in CITIES.
24 SIGHT – hom. of “site”.
25 TIGHT FIVE – TIGHT + F + I’VE.
26 SINECURE – NICE* in SURE.
27 TRY OUT – [bo]Y in TROUT.
1 BABYB in BAY.
2 AUNT – [t]AUNT.
3 DOCTORATE – DO[n] + C + TO RATE.
5 TRAINSPOTTING – TRAINS POTTING.
6 POLKA – [f]OLK in PA.
7 ARCHIMEDESMEDE in ARCH IS.
8 DETONATING – ETON in DATING.
10 INTERMEDIATOR – IN + TERM + (A in EDITOR).
13 STAIRCASES – (I in STAR) + CASES. Great clue.
14 SNAPDRAGON – SNAP + (DOG RAN)*.
17 EXPOSITOR – (PO’S in EXIT) + OR.
21 OPTIC – OP + T[o] I[nebriated] C[ustomers].
22 LIMOL + I + MO.
23 SEAT – dd. “Seat” is a brand of car.

15 Responses to “Independent 7,516 by Dac”

1. scchua says:

Thanks Simon for the blog, and Dac for an enjoyable puzzle; after last week’s bit of muscle flexing with “squillions” et al, I think it was the soft option for us this week!

Favourites were 20A CURIOSITIES, very satisfying to build up the answer from the wordplay, 7D ARCHIMEDES, a deft definition, and 13D STAIRCASES.

2. nmsindy says:

Thanks for the blog, Simon. I found this a great puzzle even by the high standards of Dac, excellent surface readings and everything totally clear when worked out. Almost too many good clues to list individually but the three mentioned by scchua were among my favourites for sure.

3. NealH says:

Perhaps I was just on good form today, but I found this one of the easier Dac puzzles of recent times. I liked 5 down and also though 4 across was a neat use of punk and pop.

You’re never short of elegance in the Wednesday Indy cryptic and Dac’s offering today was full of it. TRAINSPOTTING was inspired; I also really like STAIRCASES and PAEAN for their well-crafted surfaces.

The boy done good, as usual.

Thanks for blogging, Simon – I did need you for two or three explanations today.

5. Stella says:

Thanks Simon, I enjoyed this, but can anyone explain what ‘tight five’ is? Is it something to do with rugby?

6. beermagnet says:

Stella, Yes. Rugby Union.
    Tight-Five are the first two rows of forwards on one side of the scrum. This explains better than I can: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_union_positions
    Go to “Collective terms for positions” or Search for “Tight 5″

7. Paul B says:

Something complicated to do with the tight and loose heads, I suppose.

Another wonderfully smooth puzzle from Mr. D. A. C. – whose surname, by some incredible coincidence, is Crossword!

So, well done, Mr. Crossword. Keep ‘em comin’.

8. flashling says:

Thanks Simon / DAC, struggled a bit today but as per usual that’s more down to work on a wednesday and not being able to concentrate. Didn’t help making a mistake when putting Archimedes in…

9. pennes says:

like Simon I found this hard and gave up with seven clues to go. I can’t quite see optic as the answer to 21 dn, as the definition looks to me to be “I’ll dispense drinks”. I would be grateful for an explanation.

10. flashling says:

Well to me it’s as the blog. OP(us) is work then initial letters of T(o) I(nebriate)C(ustomers). In the UK optics are used to deliver high alcohol content spirits in small doses. At very high prices.

11. scarpia says:

Thanks Simon.
    I found this pretty easy for a Dac puzzle,maybe because there was only one geographical answer(unusual for Dac).A very good puzzle nonetheless,with CURIOSITIES being the stand out clue for me.
    pennes @ 9 –
    The clue works as flashling rightly points out,Optic is a registered trademark for this –

12. Mike Laws says:

Dave’s surname isn’t Crossword, but when he started with the Indy daily, Michael MacDonald-Cooper (editor at the time) observed that his intials could represent D(own and) AC(ross).

13. Allan_C says:

I wasn’t sure about the port bit in TANGA, but then I found the name Tanga in the index of my atlas, and googling came up with this ref: http://www.tanzaniaports.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=24&Itemid=38

Liked ARCHIMEDES.

14. walruss says:

For consistency then that should really be DnAc!

15. pennes says:

Ah right; haven’t heard of optic as the measure; I thought it was something to do with a dispensing optician