Financial Times 13,547 / Bradman

Posted by shuchi on November 19th, 2010

shuchi.

Many roundabout definitions today to add zest to our solving, such as  ‘where Spanish sailor lands’, ‘least likely to be a beggar’. Also a bigger than usual helping of homophone clues (e.g. 20d, 23d), amusing ones, and a couple of nice long anagrams. All in all a really good puzzle.

1 JACKASS JACK (sailor) A SS (ship). Charlie is slang for fool.
5 MYSORE MY SORE (a painful experience). The painful experience couldn’t have been due to Elaine’s activities that took place yesterday in another Indian city.
8 BLACKMAIL sounds like ‘black male’ (Afro-Caribbean fellow)
9 FACET FT (our paper) around ACE (star)
11 CRAZE C (about) RAZE (destroy)
12 NIGHTWEAR (WITH ANGER)*
13 MATCHBOX d&cd. Enjoyed this.
15 QUOTES OT (old books) in QUES[t] (search, incomplete)
17 ON TIME ONE (individual) around TIM (little boy)
19 PATHETIC PATH (way), CITE (name) reversed
22 TEA LEAVES TEAL (bird) EAVES (part of roof). Magpies are famous as thieves, and ‘tea leaves’ is rhyming slang for thieves.
23 KYOTO OK (it’s all right) around TOY (model), all reversed
24 REPOT REP (material, a transversely corded fabric) HOT (currently in demand) – H (hospital)
25 CAUTERISE (IE SEAR CUT)* &lit
26 ARDENT (RA)< DENT (slight depression)
27 GALLEON GALLE (Sri Lankan coastal location) ON

1 JOB’S COMFORTER (FROM OBJECTORS)*. Job’s comforter tries to console someone and is not only unconvincing but ends up making the other feel worse.
2 CLAMANT CLAIMANT (person wanting compensation) – I
3 ANKLE THANKLESS (unappreciated), with two letters each removed from both ends.
4 SEA ONION (ONE IS ON)*, around A. A Mediterranean plant cultivated for its bulb – medicine for the heart in small doses, and poison in large doses.
5 MALAGA A GAL (girl) AM (before noon), all reversed. A port in southern Spain.
6 SOFT TOUCH dd
7 RICHEST REST (slump) around I CH (church). The richest are the least likely to be beggars but don’t bank on this definition if you’re a detective – see this [Spoiler alert].
10 TERPSICHOREAN (PARTNER I CHOSE)*, with “is all over the shop” as anagrind. It’s a lovely anagram, and it feels good to make use of newly acquired vocabulary – I’ve learnt this word recently through a film review describing the heroine as the hero’s “terpsichorean muse”.
14 HAMMER TOE (A MOTHER)* around ME (this person)
16 HAPSBURG HAS GRUB (food) reversed, around P (prince). Got this from the wordplay and found that Hapsburg was an important royal house of Europe,  origin of all formally elected Holy Roman Emperors between 1438 and 1740.
18 TRAPPER STRAPPER (sturdy chap) – S
20 TWO-TIME sounds like TOOT (blast) I’M.
21 AVOCET OC (officer-in-charge) in A VET (animal doctor).
23 KNEEL sounds like ‘Neil’ (man)

7 Responses to “Financial Times 13,547 / Bradman”

1. Gaufrid says:

Hi Shuchi
    I am rather surprised to find that so far there have been no comments on this most enjoyable puzzle. I thought Bradman got the balance of ease/difficulty just right for this pleasant amble on a bright sunny morning (at least here).

2. Tony Welsh says:

Thanks, Suchi. Yes, Gaufrid, a good puzzle which I eventually finished with the help of an online dictionary. Terpsichorean indeed! I was thrown by thinking that “dancing” was the anagrind so was looking for a word that meant “all over the shop”. I had never heard of Job’s comforter but it became obvious when I had got most of the rest. Got 22a by default but did not get the word play. Had not heard the word clamant but it was pretty obvious; reminded me of natant in almost the same spot yesterday! (btw, I notice this site’s spell checker does not recognize either word.)

3. BrigC says:

This was certainly tailored to my tastes. I have never mastered the mystery of different “styles” of crossword, so I don’t know whether this one is more or less difficult than the FT norm. Didn’t see the th&ss around ankle and both blackmail and matchbox foxed me. I think I was looking for something more complicated. However, terpsichorean leapt out at me, as did Malaga.

4. shuchi says:

Hi Gaufrid and Tony

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the puzzle – I was beginning to wonder at the lack of comments!

My initial error too and I bet the same happened with many solvers. It’s a cleverly worded anagram!

5. scarpia says:

Thanks shuchi.
    I found this easier than some of Bradman’s puzzles but very enjoyable nonetheless.Nothing contentious,just sound clueing and a fair sprinkling of wit.
    Didn’t know SEA ONION,but it was easily gettable once check letters were in place.

6. bamberger says:

Well and truly defeated by the Don.
    On first pass saw only that 25a was an anagram but despite several attempts had to resort to a solver to get it. Ditto 10d
    Got 4d ,12a & 23a and that was that.

1a Thought of ab & tar but jack never came to mind
    5a This must have been the only 6 letter Indian city I didn’t think of.
    27a Hadn’t heard of Galle
    2d Clamant a new word for me
    21d Again new to me

Ah well the weekend crossword is usually easier

7. Thomas99 says:

bamberger-
    For what it’s worth, the avocet (21d) is the symbol of the RSPB. I learnt that about a month ago in a Guardian quiz, otherwise I wouldn’t have heard of it either!