Independent 7518/Phi

Posted by John on November 19th, 2010

John.

The usual excellent crossword from Dac (Phi actually. I’m so used to making statements like this that when it’s 2.30 a.m. and both setters have three letters in their names one slips. But no excuse really.) Unusually nearly all the clues can easily be explained in the almost mathematical way you see below and the others are very simple to parse.

Dac (or rather Phi) has managed to get several appearances of the word ‘live’ into the answers. He’s probably doing more than that, but I can’t see what.

7 STOCK {l}IST
9 O(L 1)VER
10 DEL(1)VER {da}Y
11 B(L)EAR {Tor}Y
12 WICKE{d} {servan}T
13 SATANISM — (at Mass in)*, a very good &lit.
15 MO{r}ON
16 P(S)AL M
18 L(O{il})AM
19 {rac}E O(HIP)PUS — not a word I knew, but easy enough I suppose from the wordplay
21 NO TAR{r}Y — I suppose, although no tarry for never having to wait seems a bit odd
22 UP KEEP
24 GULL {r}IVER — Gulliver travelled remarkably in Gulliver’s Travels
25 LI{ne} VERY
26 R E(VIE W E)R — it seems, but I’m a bit lost here and can’t see where the e comes from: how does ‘our side’ give it?

1 STREPITOSO — (trio stops e)* — the usual Phi musical clue that has come over from his crossword in the BBC Music Magazine
2 L(1 V E)IT UP
3 ST{r}AY
4 C O(MB)AT
5 LIVE AND LET LIVE — I’ve at the end of (tidal level)* around n
6 BE{TT}ER
8 CHICKEN-LIVERED — the smart guy is chic Ken, then it’s lied around (rev)rev. (which is (reverend)reversed, in case you’re confused)
13 S(CAT)S
14 STAR(RY)E(YE)D — (?) — Phi says ‘aboard railway’ and I think he means by this ‘aboard is railway’, so the opposite of what we’d usually think of as ‘aboard railway’ is meant
17 MAN(AL{l} IV)E
20 P(A PAY)A
23 P AIR
24 GURU — (u rug)rev.

9 Responses to “Independent 7518/Phi”

1. scchua says:

Thanks John for the blog, and Phi for another (p)hi-gh quality puzzle.

I think 26A REVIEWER is: R(=king) + E..R(=Queen) around/about [VIE(=contend) + WE(=our side)].

Favourites were 7A STOCKIST, with its fresh meaning to “standard”, 8D CHICKEN-LIVERED, and 14D STARRY-EYED.

I too spotted the many “live”s on completing the right half first, but can’t detect anything more from the completed grid, unless it’s refering to something topical.

Morning John. Thanks for the early blog – suits me today. (I think you’ll find the puzzle is by Phi and not by Dac, though!)

A lovely Friday crossword from our Antipodean-based setter, as always. A steady solve, with everything clearly clued and a nice variety of devices. SATANISM is as you say very clever, and I also liked BEER and NOTARY.

I took STARRY-EYED to be STAR [R(YE)Y] ED where the YE is aboard the railway, so I think it’s the usual use of ‘aboard’.

I will be the third to say that I couldn’t see beyond lots of repetitions of ‘live’. IanN14 will spot it for us when he wakes up.

3. IanN14 says:

Oy, K’sD.
    I heard that. I’ve been awake for ages (but I’ve only just got round to doing the crossword).

I think it might be something to do with CATs (centre column) having 9 LIVES?

Thanks, Ian, I knew you’d come to our rescue.

I was bigging you up, by the way, rather than suggesting you had cat-like tendencies to sleep too much.

5. walruss says:

A telling slip, with ‘the usual excellent crossword from Dac’. Ha ha!

6. nmsindy says:

Excellent puzzle, I spotted the LIVES (guess most would) but not the other subtlety – that was really good, thanks Ian N14 and Phi of course. Quite pleased to work out correctly two completely unknown words (to me) from the wordplay – 19A and 1D. Thanks for the blog, John.

7. Stella says:

A good, entertaining puzzle.

Thanks Phi and John

8. flashling says:

Well after yesterday that seemed to just drop straight in. Didn’t occur to me to count the lives alas, but thanks for the blog and thanks to Phi (aka DAC) for setting it.

9. Paul B says:

Nice puzzle from my colleague(s). Either, I’m sure, could have ample reason to be pleased with it.