Financial Times 13,550 / Armonie

Posted by Gaufrid on November 23rd, 2010

Gaufrid.

I have just heard that Agentzero is down with the dreaded lurgy so I will post an analysis of the clues just as soon as I can type one up. Edit: Analysis now added.

1 RETIRING  RE (soldier) TIRING (arduous) – RE is the abbreviation for Royal Engineers yet it seems that more and more setters are using the incorrect, singular ‘soldier’ in wordplay.
5 ODESSA  ODE (lay) ASS (fool) reversed
9 BEARSKIN  BEARS (supports) KIN (family) – I doubt that a guardsman would consider this to be an asset on a hot summer’s day.
10 SPLASH  P (parking) in SLASH (rent)
12 FISHY  F (fellow) I (one) SHY (self-concious)
13 EXORCISER  OR (gold) in EXCISER (cutter)
14 MIGHTY  MIG (plane) HT (height) Y (unknown)
16 TRICEPS  CE (church) in TRIPS (stumbles)
19 TREASON  *(AREN’T SO)
21 MINUTE  dd
23 PEGGED OUT  dd
25 MOUSE  MO (doctor) USE (practice)
26 AUNTIE  A UNTIE (loose)
27 UNDREAMT  *(TURN MADE)
28 ELAPSE  EL (the Spanish) APSE (church’s feature)
29 MENSWEAR  MEN (people) SWEAR (promise)

1 REBUFF  RE (in the matter of) BUFF (colour)
2 TRANSPIRE  dd
3 RISKY  RI (scripture {Religious Instruction}) SKY (heavens)
4 NAIVELY  *(ALIVE) in NY (New York)
6 DEPICTION  EP (record) in DICTION (delivery)
7 STAYS  d&cd – ‘stays’ as in corset.
8 APHORISM  *(HIM AS PRO)
11 LOST  S (son) in LOT (fate)
15 HYSTERICS  *(YET CHRIS’S)
17 ENTOURAGE  EN (measure {printing}) TOUR (journey) AGE (time)
18 STOPPAGE  STOP (hindrance) PAGE (servant)
20 NOON  N O (not out {cricket}) ON (working)
21 MATINEE  IN (popular) in MATE (couple {verb}) E (drug)
22 HECTOR  dd
24 GENOA  ONE reversed in GA (Georgia)
25 MORES  MORE (additional) S (society)

6 Responses to “Financial Times 13,550 / Armonie”

1. bamberger says:

LHS fully completed but RHS sadly lacking. Geeting 6d & 29a would have helped. It is not the first time that I’ve been caught out by “en” (17d).

Quite enjoyable but don’t clues like 5a. If you know Ukranian ports, you write the answer in, if you don’t , as ode=lay (not obvious to me), you google it.

2. mike04 says:

Thanks for stepping in, Gaufrid.

This was fairly easy today, but I stumbled at 13ac. I often panic when an agent-noun crops up.
    With two of them in the same clue, this should’ve been straightforward. Trying to hurry though,
    I bungled it and went for -OR instead of -ER.

I’ve read Fowler’s Modern English Usage on the subject – but I still seem to make mistakes.
    I’d be interested to know how others cope with this!

3. Tony Welsh says:

I found this harder than usual. Did not solve 8 of them. Had no idea about pegged out. What game?

Got Odessa but it took a while because I was hung up on “LAY” backwards being part of “YALTA”.

4. scarpia says:

Thanks Gaufrid.
    Straightforward stuff from Armonie with APHORISM being the pick for me.
    Tony @3 – Croquet http://www.sportsdefinitions.com/croquet/Peg-out.html

5. Mark Allen says:

Tony Welsh,

The game is croquet.

6. flashling says:

you also peg out to win at the card game crib(bage)