Independent 7522/Dac

Posted by John on November 24th, 2010

John.

The usual excellence from Dac today. Such smooth surfaces, and he clues everything so seamlessly and neatly. A couple I don’t understand, but they will no doubt be explained.

1 VOCALISTS — (cov{e})rev. A-list
5 SEEN TO — “scene two”
9 WAR DANCE — d{river} in (a new car)*
10 SCRAP E
12 LEND AN EAR — Len Dan (are)*
13 EVEN T
14 BREAD AND BUTTER — what this (or bread and butter pudding) has to do with a guest house I can’t see: is it something to do with the fact that they are both B & B?
17 LOST ONE’S THREAD — (the old senators)*
21 BIBLE — b in (Eli b)rev.
22 TH(RASH)ING
24 OPENER — op (Rene)rev.
25 CINEASTE — (in case ET)*, lovely semi &lit.
26 AS TUTE{e}
27 M(EAT {Frenc}H {chees}E)AD — didn’t know this word but presumably it means a fool

1 V O WELS{h}
2 C(OR ONE)R
3 ItaLIAN Alps
4 SECRET AGENTS — gen in (Tasers etc)*
6 EXCHEQUER — “ex checker” I think, with ‘finances’ the definition
7 NE(ARE)ST
8 OVERT URE — the Ultravox singer is Midge Ure (had to check this as you might expect)
11 P(RE D)ET ERMINE — here the ermine is fur rather than animal fur
15 {l}A(TONE)MENT — although Ian McEwan wouldn’t be best pleased for his work to be called a film. The original work was a book.
16 C(L)UBS OD A
18 SUB JE(C)T
19 AT ISSUE — (ties USA)*
20 AGREED — I can’t understand this: it seems to be (vintage red – vint)* with fine=agreed
23 S(WE)AT

10 Responses to “Independent 7522/Dac”

1. scchua says:

Thanks for the blog, John and Dac for another fine offering.

14A BREAD AND BUTTER, the closest I can get to explanation is: READ [=mostly prep(ared)*] in B AND B (=guest house) + UTTER (=say), though I still have a reservation in that “ared” is only half and not mostly of “prepared”.

6D EXCHEQUER I think is an &lit with the definition being “one who audits finances”.

20D AGREED I think RE [=re(d), no end] with “drunk” to indicate it’s within AGED (=vintage). “Fine” as in a response to someone telling you eg. to do something.

MEATHEAD I think is an Americanism, most commonly used by Archie Bunker, the American spin-off of Alf Garnett, to describe his son-in-law, in the TV series “All in the family”. The word presumably stems from “dead from the neck up”.

Favourites were 25A CINEASTE, 6D CINEASTE, both nice &lits, and 18D SUBJECT, with its not often used equivalents of “transport”.

2. scchua says:

PS. Apologies, I withdraw my comments about 6D EXCHEQUER being an &lit. Your definition is totally correct. Feel a bit of a 27A now.

3. scchua says:

PPS. Of course! 14A BREAD AND BUTTER, “mostly prepared” = READ(y). Duh!

4. nmsindy says:

Thanks for the blog, John, and Dac for the excellent puzzle. Just a little trickier than usual for Dac, I agree with scchua’s explanations of BREAD AND BUTTER and AGREED both of which I too worked out first from the definitions.

Many thanks, John. Fine puzzle – like nms, I found it a bit harder than normal, but it was all eminently gettable and more important, very enjoyable. SEEN TO and BREAD AND BUTTER were my favourites today.

6. NealH says:

Bread and butter is very good when you see it. Like John, I was thinking it was something to with B&B. I also liked the excellent surface in 4 down.

7. IanJ says:

Surely 6D is defined by “Report of” so the homophone of ex – checker is correct – at least that’s how I got it, and the meaning is finances, hence exchequer, so I think John was right?

Hi IanJ, I think you’re right; that’s certainly how I read the clue and John’s parsing is correct as far as I can see. Not sure there’s much of an &lit about it. But belated thanks to scchua for explaining AGREED, which I couldn’t see.

9. flashling says:

Completely missed the cryptic stuff in BnB, otherwise got agreed as Scchua. An enjoyable wednesday puzzle over lunch. Thanks John for blog/DAC for puzzle.

10. Graham Pellen says:

In 14AC, the “read” is supplied by mostly prepared = “read[y]”.