Posted by Pete Maclean on November 25th, 2010
Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of November 13
Let’s start with wild applause for the brilliant &lit. 20A (IDES). Then another ovation for, collectively, 28A (REPHRASED), 2D (SPIRITUAL), 7D (GRILL) and 18D (PILSNER). Not to mention 22A (BLUETHROAT) and 24D (TEAL). This was a more difficult Cincinnus than most and one where Mr. Curl wows us yet again. What a time to live in!
1. POSTCARDS – CARD[inal] (small church dignitary) in POSTS (positions) with a tough cryptic definition (with one-sided views)
6. SIGMA – G (good) in AMIS (novelist) backwards
9. AMIGO – A (a) + MIG (Russian fighter) + O[msk]
10. VICTORIAN – VICTOR, IAN (boys). Ballarat is a town in the Australian state of Victoria (and happens to be the home town of a dear friend of mine).
11. UNIMPROVED – anagram of OVER IN DUMP
12. CLIP – C[overed] + LIP (sauce)
14. YOU AND I – [q]U and I[z] phonetically
15. TYPICAL – anagram of CLAY PIT
17. MILKSOP – MILKS (gets all possible advantage from) + OP (surgery)
19. CANINES – I (one) in CANNES (Mediterranean port)
20. IDES – ID ES[t] “that is” in Latin (for Caesar) with T removed (time to go)
22. BLUETHROAT – anagram of TABLE OR HUT
25. PASTERNAK – P (page) + ASTERN (back) + AK (Alaska)
26. AGLOW – AG (silver) + LOW (bass)
27. ROYAL – double definition. “Royal” can mean a type of sail.
28. REPHRASED – anagram of HE SPARRED
1. PRAHU – [o]PRAH (TV star missing first) + U (universal). A prahu is an Indonesian outrigger.
2. SPIRITUAL – S[aint] P[aul's] I[nevitably] + RITUAL (proceedings in church)
3. CHOPPINESS – P (piano) in CHOPIN (composer) + ESS (female backing)
4. RAVIOLI – hidden word
5. SICKERT – SICK (off colour) + R (right) in ET (film). Sickert was an English impressionist — and I had to look him up.
6. SHOO – HO (house) in SO (like this)
7. GRILL – [self-raisin]G + RILL (flower — in the sense of stream)
8. ANNAPOLIS – AN (an) + NAPOLI (Italian city) + IS (‘s)
13. UP IN THE AIR – double definition. Skylarks are noted for singing while high on the wing.
14. YOM KIPPUR – KIP (sleep) in MP (MP) together in YOUR (ones)
16. CANOODLES – CAN (cooler) + OODLES (abundance)
18. PILSNER – SLIP (fall) backwards + NE[a]R (almost dropping a)
19. CHECK-UP – CHECK (stay) + UP (out of bed)
21. ESSAY – [b]ES[t] (best middle section) + SAY (for example)
23. TOWED – homophone (“toad”)
24. TEAL – TEA (leaves) + L (lake)