Independent 7526 by Hypnos

Posted by NealH on November 29th, 2010

NealH.

This was a fairly easy Monday morning puzzle with a NINA around the perimeter. I guessed from the mention of FC it was something to do with football and, after some research, I gathered than Sven Goran-Eriksson took over as manager at Leicester City in October (presumably Eimi has been sitting on this one for a few weeks).

7 Catnap: CD.
8 Foreign: F(ine) o(ld) + reign.
9 Feistier: F(ellow) is around e(nergy) + tier.
10 Fabric: Fab (short for fabulous) + ric[h].
11 Chest Notes: Chess around tote around N.
13 Seek: Hom of sikh.
14 Wattle and daub: Wa[ll] + (abutted land)*.
17 Lamp: Lap around m(ale).
19 Backstreet: Back + st around tree.
20 Menial: Meal around NI.
22 Verdelho: (Held over)*.
24 Pioneer: One in pier.
25 Imbues: IS around MBE around U.
1 Game Show: (WAG’s home)*.
2 Onus: [B]onus.
3 Optional: Op + t + Iona + l.
4 Drifts: Rift between d(aughter) and s(on).
5 Limb: Limb[o].
6 Unwise: W(arden) in uni + s[ever]e.
8 First Day Cover: (Verdict say for)*.
12 Sit up: (Puti[n]‘s)<. Putin is currently prime minister rather than president, although it appears he will get the job back soon.
13 Stair: Rats< around i.
15 Distrain: Disdain with tr replacing d.
16 Brezhnev: Verb< around zone with h replacing o.
18 Aleppo: (A pole)* around p.
19 Belief: Be + lie + f(ollowing).
21 Igor: Leading letters of “Russian orchestras getting inspiration”<.
23 Elbe: Hidden in yokel beside.

12 Responses to “Independent 7526 by Hypnos”

1. scchua says:

Thanks NealH for the blog, and Hypnos for an enjoyable crossword to start off the week.

For a change spotted the Nina round the perimeter (and a footballing one at that!). It’s also a coincidence, after last Saturday’s Tolstoyan theme, that there are 3 Russian references in today’s puzzle.

Favourite clues were 19A BACKSTREET, liked “elder”=TREE, 22A VERDELHO, easy after last Saturday’s SHIRAZ, and 15D DISTRAIN.

2. flashling says:

As a Leicester lad I was surprised by the Nina and it’s timing.

Fairly easy, Nina helped a bit but not much. Thanks Neal and Hypnos.

Thanks, Neal.

I wouldn’t say it was that easy, although strangely I got the Nina early doors, which is very unusual for me. The FC bit was a help.

I liked it. There were some reasonably easy get-you-going clues on the first pass, and the rest came eventually. I too thought DISTRAIN was good, although I can’t say I knew the word, and CATNAP also hit the spot.

Hypnos is a Leicester City fan, then? Each to his own, but if he were to come to the Derby S&B event on January 29th, Raich and I could tell him what it’s like to support a proper football team (and of course enjoy his company …)

4. rightback says:

Leicester City FC: by far the greatest team the world has ever seen. [Repeat.] Thanks Hypnos, and here’s hoping we stuff Forest tonight.

Yes, careful, K’s D. Although I prefer the oval-ball game [where. it has to be admitted, my local team do rather better] if Hypnos, flashling and rightback were all to turn up with me on Derby Day, you might get a run for your money! ;-)

6. flashling says:

And we’ve felled the Trees! I believe Conrad Cork is from Leicester too.

For goodness’ sake, you lot, concentrate on the crossword. You know off-topic stuff is not allowed. But seats still available for the 29th.

“You know off-topic stuff is not allowed.”

So what’s banned on 29th then – crosswords or football?

9. flashling says:

Hmm, how can the nina be off topic!? Me to blog in the morning, St Andrew’s day and Tuesday seems to be theme day. Mind you, the Indy probably has a different trick up its sleeve.

10. Mike Laws says:

Bloody football!

There should be a separate series in the separate Sport sections for those setters who want to parade their obsession.

11. NealH says:

I don’t think it detracted much from the crossword. It would be a fairer criticism if it was a grid full of the names of players and football terms.

I agree with Neal. I’m sure Mike’s comment was tongue-in-cheek, but it didn’t make the puzzle unsolveable, and what about setters who, for example, want to parade their obsession with Wagner? They’re both things of great beauty.