Independent 7527 by Anax

Posted by flashling on November 30th, 2010

flashling.

Nestor, Nimrod now Anax. This crossword is a tribute to …

… a recently deceased Agony Aunt and writer/broadcaster.

Only the one two I can’t really see today!

1,26 Farewell – FELL about ARE (100 sq m) + W(ith). Goodbye to Claire.
3 Arkansas – ARKAN http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%BDeljko_Ra%C5%BEnatovi%C4%87 + S.A.S.
8,1D How did I get here from there. Claire Rayner biography. Time from THERE -> HERE
10 Stiletto – Heel/Dagger DD
11 Briefs – Poop is information CDD.
13 Mencap – MEN + CAP(international player)
15 Trollope – TROLLOP + (strok)E
17 Perilous – PERI + LOUS(y) – More pants from Anax.
20,19 Claire Rayner – (A NICER L(ad)Y RARE)* + &lit
22 Opposite – OP + POSIT + E
24 Swiss Army Knife. This has got me. It seems to be (If sky news is) about ARM, Wenger’s Channel is la Manche – Sleeve hence ARM maybe. But then Def is favourite?
25 Remarked – RE MARKED

2 Rydal – LADY + R rev
4 Ragwort – (GROW)* in RAT
5 Autobiography – (I gotta buy Oprah (less a T))*
6 Specialty – (IE CLAP)* in STY
7 Shelf – Slurred SELF
9 Data Processor – (stops road race)* + misleading def.
12 Sue – SU(r)E
14 Criticism – TIC IS in CRIM(e)
16 Plentiful – ENT in (FILL UP)*
17 Pic – PI + C(annon)
18 Scourge – C.O. in SURGE
21 Laser – L + AS + RE rev
23 Sense –  Charity supported by Claire Rayner http://www.sense.org.uk/ – N(ew) S(eries) in SEE

14 Responses to “Independent 7527 by Anax”

1. Conrad Cork says:

Suffice it to say, wow.

2. sidey says:

Bit esoteric that…

Iirc they make half the knives for the Swiss Army, Victorinox the other.

3. Gaufrid says:

Hi flashling
    In 24ac I read channel=arm as in arm/branch of the sea.

4. scchua says:

Thanks flashling (another trying one for you) and Anax for a really challenging puzzle.

Got there in the end, but had to research to get 20A 19A, foothold via CLAIRE (methinks it’s fully justified to use references in this case). It was plainer sailing after that. Though I have a quibble about 8A 1D HOW DID I GET HERE FROM THERE? is the question to be “answered” BY “You took time off” and not the other way as it is worded in the clue (addition of the missing “by” would have been fairer to the solver?).

Last one in was 24A SWISS ARMY KNIFE, for which to make the parsing complete, I assumed “channel” = ARM as in an arm of the sea, or an arm of an organisation?

Favourites were 15A TROLLOPE, 14D CRITICISM, 16D PLENTIFUL, all enjoyable to parse.

5. scchua says:

PS. Sorry Gaufrid, crossed with yours, but at least we’re of the same mind.

Thank you, flashling.

Chuffing Nora, as they say. I don’t want to humiliate myself in a public forum, but in the couple of years I have been attempting the Indy daily this is the fewest number of clues I’ve ever solved before throwing in the towel. Fingers of one hand doesn’t even come into it.

It’ll all be fair (this is the Indy) but to say this was beyond my ken would be an understatement. However, as I’ve said before, if there was a daily cryptic that I could solve every day then there’d be a lot of bored people out there. Or maybe I was just having an off day. In any case, as always thank you to the setter for the puzzle!

7. scarpia says:

Thanks flashling.
    This was tough – but very satisfying.
    Must admit to Googling the autobiography and not understanding the definition at 24 across(thanks sidey).
    Thought it was something to do with soccer(which I am unlikely to know),so nice bit of misdirection from Anax.
    5 down was my favourite.

8. anax says:

Hi friends

I knew 24a was going to cause a few problems, for which I apologise. It’s an awful set of letters to play with!

Don’t want to spoil the fun too much, but 10a is &Lit, not DD.

9. nmsindy says:

I too found this v difficult but got there in the end, Claire Rayner was the breakthrough, tho I had not heard of the book. Some v difficult clues, my favourite clues were MENCAP, RAGWORT, LASER with FAREWELL being a nice thematic touch.

10. flashling says:

Anax, suppose so as stiletto heels are pointed as well, but surely I have a point about the dagger too (as it were) for the DD even if wasn’t what you meant. 24ac fantastic misdirection, well done, never heard of the brand.

Weather causing mayhem here, doubt I’ll make S&B (London) as things stand.

11. anax says:

Hi there flashling

It’s pretty awful here too – any faint chance I had of getting to London was scuppered as of last night.
    For 10a, the clue can be parsed as STIL(E)T TO. There, you see. I’ve gorn and spoiled the fun now.

12. flashling says:

Gotcha Anax, very good, even if you’ve had to spoil things, didn’t spot that and looks like no one else did either, so OK there were 2 I didn’t get :-). 11ac is a fantastic clue, much admiration for that, I would say great imagery but that would be so wrong on many levels.

13. nmsindy says:

Think I also will be unlikely to be able to get to the London S&B, pity. Thanks for the blog, flashling, and Anax for the puzzle.

14. NealH says:

I looked at this at lunch and couldn’t get anywhere. Determined not to give up, I had another go in the evening and managed to finish it apart from 7 down, which completely lost me (and still seems a bit strange). Misreading the anagram at 20 as “a nicer lady r[ar]e” was the big problem for a long time. I got the Claire bit but was stumped on the surname. I didn’t know the name of the autobiography, so that really held me up in the top half. Nevertheless, it was a very enjoyable puzzle overall with some great clues.