Financial Times 13,548 by Cinephile (in the red!)

Posted by Pete Maclean on December 2nd, 2010

Pete Maclean.

Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of November 20

For once Cinephile uses a theme that does not make his whole puzzle rather easy once one has copped to it! In fact I think he was very skillful in using “red” in three different ways in this puzzle and making some juicy clues as a result. On the other hand, there are some clues I am not happy with (1A, 10A and 8D). My favourites are 25A (IMAGINARY) and 7D (SHANK).

1. ADVISER – VI (6) in anagram of AS RED. “Not sic” strikes me as a creative anagram indicator but not a good one.
5. CRIMSON – RIMS (borders) in CON (Tory)
9. MARGE – double definition
10. TROUT FARM – anagram of TUTOR + FAR (distant) + M (a mile). But “a mile” would be better cluing IM.
11. RAINDROPS – RA (artist) + IN DROPS (a casual visit pays)
12. RAKED – double definition
13. LAIRD – I (one) in LARD (fat)
15. INITIALLY – IN (in) + I (setter) and L (student) separately in ITALY (Italy)
18. HAND OF GOD – double definition
19. WOODS – double definition referring to redwoods
21. ROSIE – homophone (“rosey”)
23. GRANDPAPA – GRAND (splendid) + PAPA (pope)
25. IMAGINARY – I (one) + A GIN (a drink) in MARY (girl)
26. ARIEL – homophone (“aerial”)
27. GET LOST – anagram of TET[bury] GLOS
28. NAFFEST – A (a) + FF (very noisy) in NEST (home)

1. ADMIRAL – double definition referring to the Red Admiral butterfly
2. VERMILION – REV (parson) backwards + MILLION (1,000,000) with L (50) removed
3. SPEED – DEEPS (of the ocean) backwards
4. RATIONING – anagram of IGNORANT I (one)
5. CROSS – double definition referring to the Red Cross
6. INTERVIEW – INTER (bury) + VIEW (prospect)
7. SHANK – S (South) + HANK (American name) referring to the redshank (a bird)
8. NAME DAY – double definition. Well I understand that “name day” could be derived from “say when” although “name the day” would be better. “Name day” can also mean what is more commonly called “ticket day”, a term used by investors.
14. DUODECIMO – ICED (covered as a cake) backwards in DUOMO (Italian cathedral)
16. INDO-ARYAN – IN (home) + DO (note) + A (a) + RYAN (founder of an airline). Ryanair was founded in 1985 by, among others, Tony Ryan.
17. LOOKALIKE – LOO (John) + KALI (the destroyer) + K (king) + E (energy)
18. HERRING – double definition referring to red herrings
20. SCARLET – SCAR (wound) + LET (little of)
22. START – double definition referring to the redstart (another bird)
23. GIANT – double definition referring to a red giant (a type of star)
24. DWARF – hidden word with definition referring to a red dwarf (another type of star)

6 Responses to “Financial Times 13,548 by Cinephile (in the red!)”

1. Sil van den Hoek says:

This was a Cinephile that wasn’t very hard, but one in which The Rev tried some special things which made us smile.

But first a remark on (not sic) that you didn’t like as an anagrind, Pete. Only a few weeks ago, in his (alphabetical-along-the-sides) Saturday crossword Araucaria did the same thing: using “not sic” for “not as such” as the anagrind. Nobody complained about it at that occasion, including me.

In 27ac “unburied” for to delete “bury” is a trick we’ve seen before, but still quite Libertarian.
    But there are three situations in which Cinephile was really at his playful best.

11ac:
    The clue reads “a casual visit pays”.
    A normal person would say “pays a casual visit” which is DROPS IN.
    So, Cinephile turns the whole thing around:
    “a casual visit pays” = IN DROPS.
    Quite amusing, we thought.

3d:
    SPEED is the reverse of DEEP’S.
    The DEEP is the ocean, so DEEP’S is “of the ocean”.
    Something that nobody says like that – quite funny, though.

23d:
    Maybe you think that GIANT is a dd – maybe.
    But here Cinephile gives us “Designating”, which has to be read as “Design ATING” – which gives GIANT with “Design” as anagrind.
    Even my PinC could appreciate this for once.
    [there seems to be a (Libertarian) trend especially in Guardian crosswords where words in the clue have to be split at random – remember “winter” for WESTBURY as the ultimate example?]

2. Pete Maclean says:

I wondered if I was missing something in 23d. Thanks for pointing that out. And, for 3d, where I also missed something — I thought I had heard of the ocean referred to as the “deeps” but that leaves the “of” as extraneous.

3. Jan says:

Thanks, Pete. I keep thinking I have to wait until Saturday for the Saturday Prize blogs, so all solved prize x-words sit in a drawer for a week or two. I’ll try to remember to look in mid-week.

Ref. the two red stars – thanks to Sil for Design ATING – wonderful! I was trying to make it from Des IGNAT ing or Desi GNATI ng. And in 24d, I think it is worlD WAR Fame.

4. Jan says:

BTW – I didn’t get SHANK – (vg) – hence no RAKED.

5. Pete Maclean says:

Jan, Thanks for your comments. I am not sure now whether I misread 24d or just botched my explanation of the clue, but you are of course correct that it is properly a hidden-word clue. And I have edited the blog accordingly.

6. Wil Ransome says:

As usual I found this typically dreadful from this in-my-opinion-highly-overpraised setter. Quite apart from the criticisms you make Pete, I was very unhappy with exposed as an a.i. in 4dn and with its general libertarian-ness. At 8dn I wondered whether there was any connection with naming the day, weddings, and marriage as a kind of exchange of stock. Probably no.