Independent 7,529/Dac

Posted by Ali on December 2nd, 2010

Ali.

Dac?! On a Thursday!? After Phi’s unexpected appearance yesterday, I assumed that Dac was probably due a Saturday slot, we’d have a date-related puzzle tomorrow and that today would be the usual Thursday torment. I’ve dodged a bullet here, clearly.

I don’t think I’ve ever blogged a bad word about a Dac puzzle. I’m beginning to think I never will. This was fantastic stuff, as always.

1 PRODUCER – PRO DUCE [-wa]R
9 INTERSTATE – [-w]INTER STATE
10 SODA – SO + DeAr
11 HOLD UP – Double def.
12 IN THE END – HE in IN (home) + TEND (care)
13 UNMOVING – Double def.
15 BRIDLE – “Bride’ll”
16 ADVENT – A D[-ecember] VENT
18 END USERS – (RUDENESS)*
20 EYESIGHT – YES in EIGHT
22 IMPISH – 1’S in 1 MPH
24 MINX – MIN[-ute] + X (kiss)
25 LAVATORIAL – LAVA (outpouring) + TO + [-b]LAIR rev.
26 RE-EDIT – (DIETER)*
27 LINGERER – GER. in LINER
2 RUN-DOWN – Cryptic def.
3 DREAD – RE: in DAD
4 CASHPOINT – (I CAN’T SHOP) * &lit.
5 READING FESTIVAL – (LIVE SINGER A TAD) * about F
6 SWEET – “Suite”
7 MYSTERIES – T[-hese] in MY (Dac’s) SERIES (collection)
8 ORDINAL – (IN ROAD)* + L
14 OVERSEXED – VERSE + X in OED
15 BADMINTON – BAD + M(ale) + INT(ernational) + ON
17 DAYTIME – (TIDE MAY)*
19 RESTAGE – AGE after REST
21 GILET – G.I on LET (leave)
23 PER SE – Hidden in camPER’S Equipment

11 Responses to “Independent 7,529/Dac”

1. Draig says:

Hi, you missed out 6 across which is ‘summon’

Thanks, Ali. I think I commented a little while ago that we get so few words on the blog from commenters about Dac, but that it’s a reflection of the quality of his puzzles and the soundness of his clueing. In other words (unlike in Another Place) there’s seldom anything to go on about!

Today I was amused in particular by the two intersecting X clues: MINX and OVERSEXED. But there were many other good offerings too. The boy’s got talent.

Boss man tomorrow, then?

3. scchua says:

Thanks for the blog, Ali, and to Dac, another setter you can depend on for an enjoyable puzzle.

Favourites were 20A EYESIGHT, 25A LAVATORIAL, and 14D OVERSEXED, all a pleasure to parse.

4. nmsindy says:

Yes, this was very good and not too difficult. Thanks, Dac, and Ali for the blog. Favourite clues SUMMON (great surface), I think, Draig, Ali may have just missed it by accident it’s MO N after SUM, I think. and MYSTERIES

5. Ali says:

Ah yes, apologies, I missed 6A out for some reason. Thanks Niall for adding it in.

6. Mick H says:

I liked 20ac too – ‘seeing sense’ was a lovely definition for EYESIGHT.

7. Thomas99 says:

24 Naughty girl’s 30-second kiss (4)
    Why is this minx? There are 60 seconds in a minute, aren’t there? I don’t get it.

8. Gaufrid says:

Thomas99
    30 seconds is half a minute which gives MIN[ute] and this is followed by X (the symbol for a kiss).

9. pennes says:

Particular mention for 4dn cashpoint, and 8dn ordinal from me: real ‘Oh yes’ moments. Got stuck on the idea that the latter began with an ‘m’.

10. scarpia says:

Thanks Ali.
    Super stuff from the ever reliable Dac.
    I thought 4 down was a brilliant &lit and also liked the very clever definition in 20 across.

11. Allan_C says:

The NW corner was a bit slow for me till I realised 1a wasn’t a personal name, but then it all came together.
    But great stuff as usual from Dac