Independent 7532 by Glow-worm

Posted by nmsindy on December 6th, 2010

nmsindy.

Very pleasing puzzle from Glow-worm whose puzzles generally I find at the easier end of the Indy spectrum, solving time, 22 mins.   If memory serves Glow-worm has set quite a few excellent puzzles in the Listener series based on (now vanished) children’s games.

* = anagram

ACROSS

1 BODY MASS INDEX     (Bond’s sexy maid)*    Weight divided by square of height (all in metres) – used as an indication of ideal weight.

8 EPIC     Ben-Hur, an example (sample) of an EPIC film hidden in grandiosE PICture-making so a nice &lit touch

9 ECONOMICAL      This was skilfully misleading as the clue splits at saving/energy which looked like it might be the definition.   E (energy) NO in COMIC A (amateur) L (learner = trainee)

10 HIJACK     Another one I liked a lot  “high Jack”    Jack = sailor

11 DIALECT    I’d reversed   Alec Guinness (actor)  first letter of Timbre

12 FEEDSTUFFS    FEED (paid) STUFF (load)  Sacks (first letter)

14 ACRE   alternate letters of camcorder

15 ISIS    Was not sure of this till I got crossing letters so it was my last answer.    I think the wordplay is based on Iceland’s IVR code IS  so Iceland’s can be read as IS (Iceland) is.     Happy to be corrected of course if I’m wrong about that.

17 NEAR MISSES

20 CHEERIO     A clever one as it looked initially as if ‘Prosit’ might be part of the anagram material but it’s (choir EE)*   prosit = cheerio (drinking toast)

21 NO  VICE      A good one that raised a smile

23 PORTCULLIS     (croup still)*    definition = grating

24 GLAD   “Happy little girl?”   Not 100% sure of the wordplay here, definition glad = happy.    Think it might be that Glad is a shortened version of the girl’s name Gladys but not sure about that at all – again ‘glad’ to be corrected.

25 ROCKET SCIENCE     Getting this on first run through was a big help.     Clue is based on the common expression “It’s not rocket science” ie it’s pretty obvious

DOWN

1 BAPTISE    APT in  B IS  E   Bishop’s = B IS

2 DACHA    hidden  in BermuDA CHArming

3 MEERKAT    “mere cat”

4 SWORD OF DAMOCLES     From Greek mythology     S (second) WORD (message)  OF (from)  DAM (ref Hoover Dam in US) (close)*    Definition: impending disaster, sword overhead hanging by a single thread

5 I SOB (w)ARS       w = point (of the compass)

6 DRIVEWAYS    (view)* in drays

7 X FACTOR     actor = performer      XF reversed = FX = “effects” ie homophone, I think    (Thanks to all those who commented on this point, all dicts give FX = special effects so that explains it ie not a homophone)

13 DYSPEPTIC     Diary  (Pepys)*  TIC

16 SUCCOUR    “sucker” = shoot

17 NURTURE     (turner U)*

18 MENISCI     hidden in lensmen is cinematic    plural of  meniscus = lens

19 ENCLAVE        LAV (convenience) in PENCE less P

22 VEGAN   First letters of the five words in the clue leading to “for starters”

12 Responses to “Independent 7532 by Glow-worm”

1. NealH says:

I got half of this very quickly but then had to work a bit to finish it off. I had the same interpretation of 25 and 15 as you. There were lots of very nice clues with some good bits of misdirection in places. 9, 12 and 19 were all very cleverly clued.

Thank you, nms, for blogging.

I thought this was a fine puzzle. As our television advert 3dn might say, ‘seemples!’, but nonetheless very enjoyable. I did find the bottom half more difficult, however. I liked HIJACK but took ages to see it; also pleasing were SUCCOUR and BAPTISE.

FX is standard abbreviation on play scripts for ‘sound effects’, so that one works for me; and I also took GLAD to be short for GLADYS, although it’s not my favourite clue. Great surface, but how little is little? And I needed your explanation of ISIS.

And I’ve always wondered why we say NEAR MISSES when actually they’re NEAR HITS.

Cheers to Glow-Worm for warming up my brain on this freezing morning.

3. NealH says:

I think FX is more usually “special effects”, as in the name of this film.

4. Gaufrid says:

For FX Chambers gives “(sound or special) effects” so you are both right.

5. nmsindy says:

I should have looked up FX in dicts, they all give it as ‘special effects’ so that explains it, I’ve updated the blog.

6. scchua says:

Thanks nms for the blog, and Glowworm for a nice puzzle.

Re 7D X FACTOR I think your initial explanation of FX as a homophone is still valid. Whether used to denote sound or special effects, FX’s origin is undoubtedly as a homophone. Somewhere along the way, the qualifying “special” must have got dropped, probably by Hollywood.

I think by now you might have noticed that Glowworm used the same device for 15A ISIS(=Iceland’s) as for 1D BIS(=Bishop’s).

Favourites were 1A BODY MASS INDEX, first time I’ve seen this comtemporary term in a crossword, 4D SWORD OF DAMOCLES, and 13D DYSPEPTIC, the latter two with enjoyable wordplays.

7. sidey says:

Weight divided by square of height (all in metres)

How do you weigh yourself in metres? ;)

8. nmsindy says:

Yes, that would be difficult, Sidey, I should have said using units from the metric system, which are kilograms for weight.

9. flashling says:

Thanks NMS/Glow worm, took ISIS & GLAD the same way. I’d always taken FX to be stage shorthand for effects.

@K’s D, so we’re no longer safe from advertising even on 15sq? Be afriad…

10. dram says:

Great job Glow-Worm, I much enjoyed a slightly easier puzzle today. ECONOMICAL was my favourite, but Isis would have been if it had not been one of the two I couldn’t get!

‘scuse my ignorance everybody – how does ‘but not so when down to earth’ contribute to the solution ROCKET SCIENCE? I got it from ‘a complex business’, the rest baffled me.

11. nmsindy says:

I think, dram, it’s that where you most often hear that phrase is when someone says – ‘it’s not rocket science’ to mean ‘down to earth’ or pretty uncomplicated. It is of course defined as ‘complex business’ as you say.

12. Allan_C says:

Thanks, Glow-worm and nmsindy, for the puzzle and blog.
    11a had me puzzled; I read “Guinness” as “ale” (which it isn’t, except in the broadest sense) so couldn’t make out how the C came into the answer. Brain obviously wasn’t firing on all cylinders for me not to think of Alec.
    I thought at first we had a pangram, if you spell 1d as BAPTIZE (which rather messes up the clueing) but then realised there was no Q.