Independent 7,535 by Tees

Posted by Simon Harris on December 9th, 2010

Simon Harris.

I’ve just discovered that tomorrow, it will be exactly two years since I started blogging here, so many thanks to everyone who has commented and helped me out in that time. Coincidentally, due to changing work commitments, this will also be my last weekday Indy blog post, for a while at least.

That being the case, I was particularly interested to see who was in store for me, but as it stands the applet isn’t displaying the setter’s pseudonym, so I’m none the wiser! Perhaps readers who have access to a hard copy can enlighten us.

It was slightly unnerving to tackle this without knowing who I was grappling with, but thankfully the puzzle wasn’t too hard, and quite a few clues were solved by spotting the definition, before even looking into the wordplay. That several of the longer answers fell in early on was a big help too. There are a few loose ends for readers to help me to clear up.

1 FREE – dd.
4 IRKED – K in DIRE*.
7/13 THE ARISTOCRACY – (EAR in THIS) + TO + C + RACY.
9 ALBERT – I’m not sure I follow this one – “link to time?”.
10 EINSTEIN – E + IN + STEIN.
11 WHIP – W + HIP.
12 RESPIRATOR – RE + ((P + IRA) in STOR[e]).
15 ISIS – I’m a little unsure here. Isis the name given to the Thames as it flows through Oxford and past the University, so that’s “Academic stream”, but “firsts endlessly given”? It could be 1s[t] + 1s[t] but I don’t feel confident of that.
17 GENE – G + ENE.
18 SEATTLE – A in SETTLE.
20 JUST IN CASE – dd.
21 COWSCO + W[illiam] S[hakespeare].
23/4D COMPOUND INTEREST – I’m unsure here too: is this just a convoluted cd. or is there more to it?
25 MEASLY – ME + A + SLY.
26 YET – YET[i].
27 LENIN – (NINE + L)<.
28 YOOF – (0 + 0) in (Y + F). I think “pair” here is the cricketing term: if a batsman scores 0 in both innings, that’s known as a pair.
2/22/14A RALPH WALDO EMERSON – (WHOM ALL READ + PROSE)* + N.
3 EVER-PRESENT – EVE + R + SERPENT*.
5 KEEPS ONE’S HAND IN – dd.
6/16 DENNIS WATERMAN – (WARM AND INTENSE)*. Great anagram.
7 TOT – O in TT.
8 EPITOMISE – EP + I + (IS in TOME).
14 EXECUTORY – EX + EC + U + TORY.
19 ANNUAL – NU in ANAL.
24 PIT – PI + [pries]T.

14 Responses to “Independent 7,535 by Tees”

1. walruss says:

Congrats Simon!! I think you are right about ISIS, where maybe ‘firsts’ is IST plus IST, but COMPOUND INTEREST is another ‘great anagram’! The EMERSON one was a cracker too. Don’t know wh set it.

2. Gaufrid says:

Hi Simon
    In 9ac, an ‘albert’ is a short watch chain (named after VR’s husband) hence the ‘link to time’.

3. Paul A says:

It’s a Tees

4. flashling says:

As Paul A says it’s by Tees, and rather easier that usual from him. Good luck in your new venture Simon, I’m sure that you’ll continue with the weekend stuff.

5. nmsindy says:

I too found this quite easy, favourite clue JUST IN CASE. Not 100% sure, but think the GENE in 17A is from the 1950s rocker, Gene Vincent.
    Thanks for the blog, Simon, and Tees for the puzzle. I got COMPOUND INTEREST straightaway from the definition, finding the anagram only much later.

6. Simon Harris says:

I will indeed, thanks flashling.

7. NealH says:

I got through this fairly easily. Although there were quite a few names in it, I’d heard of all of them, even Gene Vincent. The compound interest clue was very well constructed.

Thanks Simon. Solved this one this morning before leaving for work and have only just got in. I’ve had it in the back of my mind all day that there must have been a Nina that I couldn’t see: the grid screamed it, and when I got FREE at 1ac and THE at 7ac I persuaded myself that it must be about the imprisoned Chinese dissident who’s just won the Nobel Peace prize. Ho hum. As Derrick/Mordred once remarked, what setters intend and what solvers see can be very different things.

Very good crossword. Mostly straightforward, but well clued and a variety of constructions including some super anagrams (I couldn’t see COMPOUND INTEREST either).

I had it down as an eimi, for some reason (although the anal reference in 19dn might have suggested another from the Indy stable). But thank you to Tees anyway.

Oh, and good luck with your pastures new, Simon!

10. Chris Tebb says:

You seem to have missed 21A!

Is it COWS – CO + WS?

11. Simon Harris says:

Well spotted, Chris. That’s certainly how I interpreted it, so I’ve updated the post accordingly.

12. nmsindy says:

Good luck from me too, Simon, and good that we’ll continue to hear from you if not on weekdays.

13. Tees says:

Hear hear Simon, and cheers for the blog.

Thanks for the many kind comments – sorry bout the no Nina … on this occasion.

14. flashling says:

Well welcome to our new blogger, whatever you’re going to call yourself. A Dac should be a gentle start at least. Adieu for now Simon, thanks for the fun Tees, I hope Phi plays ball tomorrow.