Everyman No. 3349 (5th December)

Posted by The Trafites on December 12th, 2010

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  I found several of the clues this week were more difficult than usual but nothing that a little research didn’t cure. Very enjoyable puzzle as usual, so thanks to Everyman as always.

Legend to solution comments:
* = anagram.
< = word reversed.

1. Diane’s pet gets a viral disease (9)
DISTEMPER DI’S+TEMPER(a pet, huff)
6. Fibre’s extracted from wood, Greek character recollected (5)
OAKUM OAK+(MU<)
9. Room in the Parisian grill (7)
LATTICE ATTIC in LE(French ‘the’)
10. Cavalryman in force (7)
DRAGOON dd
dragoon also means to ‘compel by force’ (i.e. dragoon somebody into doing something)
11. Satisfy two opposing groups, as Scritti Politti do? (4,2,4,4)
HAVE IT BOTH WAYS crikey! ‘IT’ appears in both ‘scritti‘ and ‘politti‘ both ways together!
Both Nick and I researched the band at first looking for a song title
13. Told about tardy duke (7)
RELATED RE(about)+LATE+D(uke)
14. Poker puzzle (7)
TICKLER dd
a ‘tickler’ is a poker, apparently
16. Gathers in information about savings (4,3)
NEST EGG GETS in GEN all reversed(about)
18. Car that’s durable, something made for many a spin (7)
HARDTOP HARD+TOP(spinning toy)
20. Cured haddock in a fiery broth – “more?”, I ask (8,6)
ARBROATH SMOKIE A+(BROTH MORE I ASK)*
23. ‘Beer’ in concise dictionary in ‘local’ language? (7)
DIALECT ALE in DICT(ionary)
24. Difficult old emperor visiting America (7)
ONEROUS O+NERO+US
25. In circulation, a humorous book (5)
NAHUM hidden: circulatioN A HUMorous
this book HERE
26. Regroups across main road in battle (9)
RAMILLIES RALLIES(regroups) around M1
this battle HERE
1. A herb may make daughter unwell (4)
DILL D+ILL
2. Feel unwell after group’s left port (3,4)
SET SAIL AIL after SETS
3. Record in Crete, possibly a focal point (9)
EPICENTRE EP+(IN CRETE*)
4. Entertainer’s got it taped, Iris cracked – that’s about right (15)
PRESTIDIGITATOR (GOT IT TAPED IRIS*) around R
big word for a conjuror/magician
5. What jockeys do, with nasty sort amongst them, is manage to survive (4,3,3,5)
RIDE OUT THE STORM RIDE OUT+((SORT*) in THEM)
6. Oscar leading wise men, mostly the first in historic NI town (5)
OMAGH O+MAG(i)(wise men)+H(istoric)
7. At present everyone supports king, wise guy (4-3)
KNOW-ALL NOW+ALL after K
8. Master’s opening racist pun spoiled handwritten document (10)
MANUSCRIPT M(aster’s)+(RACIST PUN*)
12. Group’s instrument of torture (4,6)
IRON MAIDEN dd
The rock band Iron Maiden and this device
15. NCO holding end of stethoscope in physical (9)
CORPOREAL (stethoscop)E in CORPORAL(nco)
17. Rest day? Graduates turned up near city on the Avon (7)
SABBATH (BAS<)+BATH
19. Capital excursion round the Italian retreats (7)
TRIPOLI TRIP+O+(IL<)(Italian for ‘the’)
Capital of Libya
21. Poem starts to upset me in a concert hall (5)
ODEUM ODE+U(pset) M(e)
22. Goddess losing credit in moment of truth (4)
ISIS (cr)ISIS
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

7 Responses to “Everyman No. 3349 (5th December)”

1. AJK says:

Thanks for explaining DISTEMPER Lorraine. Yes, some new words for me e.g.4d. I always try and do Everyman without dictionary help, so failed on this one. Nice clues though.

2. Davy says:

Thanks Lorraine,

Yes, the Everymans seem to have been a bit more difficult of late and it took me ages to get Arbroath Smokie as I just didn’t see the anagram. The words jumped out at me through the crossing letters and suddenly all made sense. I’d never heard of RAMILLIES, ODEUM or NAHUM but the clues were clear enough. Thanks Everyman.

3. Stella says:

Thanks Trafites and Everyman. A very entertaining and instructive puzzle.

I’d never heard of the Book of Nahum, but Ramillies was vaguely familiar, and the wordplay was, as always immaculate.

Odeum was more familiar in its accusative form (I think – I don’t know Greek) ‘odeon’, being the ‘local’ cinema in High Barnet where I saw Bambi and one or two other films. What’s more, I hesitated with the correct answer, because it sounds hateful :)

4. Robi says:

Thanks Trafites and Everyman for an enjoyable puzzle. I had to look up ‘prestidigitator’ and got confused by ‘odeum’ rather than ‘odeon,’ which didn’t fit the clue. Nahum was also a new one. I particularly liked 11a for which, like the Trafites, I went off in the wrong direction looking for song titles.

Thank you Trafites – excellent blog as always, and another delightful Sunday morning puzzle to solve. The usual sprinkling of slightly less common words, which I always enjoy with Everyman because the clueing is so precise and accessible. I loved HAVE IT BOTH WAYS when I finally twigged it, and I liked DISTEMPER too. ‘Pet’ for temper I’ve only come across through crosswords; where I come from it’s ‘huff’ and where I live now it’s ‘mard’.

6. sidey says:

Pet is one of the great crossword words with many perfectly innocent meanings, and a few I’m sure Everyman would never reference. “Don’t have a pet, Pet” was a family phrase.

7. The Trafites says:

I have to admit I thought Pet was short for petulance, as in having a petulant frenzy.

It was Nick who steered me on the right course.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Lorraine.