Independent 7541 by Anax

Posted by flashling on December 16th, 2010

flashling.

Anax in rude health today with a few risque moments. Some lovely well written stuff but one I can’t quite figure out.

1 Typical – T Y + PIC + A L
5 Coarse – CO + ARSE
9 Audiogram – AUDI + O G(olf) + RAM
10 Lingo – L + INGO(t)  Nice mix of bar and local
11 Siskin – I’S in SKIN
13 Dead Duck – Cryptic Def
15 Hall of residence – (Once filled share)*
16 Whistle-stop tour – Cryptic def
19 Yugoslav – GUY rev + O/S + LAV
20 Possum – POS(h) + hom SOME
22 Heave – He + A V(oic)E
23 Cochineal – COAL around CHINE (a crest)
25 Repair – REP + AIR
26 Thermos – THE RM’S bottling O(pened)

1/8 That’s the way the cookie crumbles. CD Nice biscuits.
2 Pod – PO + D(rawn)
3 Chorizo – C HORIZO(n)
4 Lure – RULE with L/R swapped
5 Compensate – (TO SPACEMEN)*
6 Alluded – (m’)LUD in (DEAL)*
7 Sanguineous – (G U AS ONE UNI’S)*
8 see 1
12 Selling race – I’LL rev + GR + ACE after SE. Don’t see the Foreign money to invest bit ideas?
14 Freelancer – FREE (Metro is a free newspaper) + (CAN REL(y))*
17 Tessera – SET rev + que SERA sera whatever will be will be.
18 Profile – P + OF in RILE
21 Scat – S(tyle) + CAT
22 Elm – Hidden in (pan)EL M(ade)

15 Responses to “Independent 7541 by Anax”

Many thanks, flashling, and Anax, too, of course.

What a great day, with Crucible in the Guardian, too!

In 12dn, you missed the N of SEN [foreign money]

2. crypticsue says:

I quite often struggle to get into an Anax crossword but not today. Didn’t take me long and I very much enjoyed the solving of it. Thanks Anax and Flashling.

3. nmsindy says:

This was very hard, I esp liked WHISTLE-STOP TOUR, ALLUDED, and DEAD DUCK. BTW, I read the latter as having a wordplay element, DEAD (very) DUCK (wet). Thanks for the puzzle, Anax, and flashling for the blog.

4. flashling says:

@NMS I did wonder about whether there was more to Dead Duck, the ducking stool which will certainly get you very wet – didn’t occur to me. @Eileen a trip to the opticians is clearly in order, quite how I missed that N from my scribble pad I don’t know. T Y both :-) I do wonder too if scat is part of Anax’s mini theme…

Thank you, flashling.

After my complete failure with Anax’s last Indy puzzle, I thought this might be a similar experience on my first pass, but I eventually found some reasonably straightforward ones to get me started, and then once the long solution fell, the rest dropped into place eventually. I needed your explanations for several, though.

I thought this was a super puzzle. Arse, shit? As flashling says, all very SCATalogical. (Good job Anax didn’t set this one for the Grauniad.) Seriously, I thought THAT’S THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLES was one of the best clues I’ve seen this year – it just tickled me. WHISTLE-STOP TOUR also hit the spot and I liked CHORIZO.

Thanks Anax for a challenging but most enjoyable solve.

6. Gnomethang says:

Thanks flashling and anax. I laughed my socks at 1/8 , put in 12d and 18d without much comprehension. Thought the whole thing was “excrement”!.

7. Mick H says:

Yes, very good stuff, and I echo the praise for 5, which made me laugh. I found this easier than Anax can be, with several long CDs which opened things up if you got them quickly. Having said that, the wordplay at 18 down had me beat.

8. Abby says:

Hey, I know this one. “Sen” is the foreign money, right? With ILL in it and GR+ACE after.

9. scarpia says:

Thanks flashling.
    I agree this was easier than some Anax puzzles but still a very enjoyable solve.I liked the cd at1/8 but thought 16 across was a bit vague.
    Thought 5 across was brilliant – concise and witty(using the good old English word,rather than that horrible Americanism “ass”).

10. anax says:

Hi folks

A late reply from me – band rehearsal tonight, only just got back. Many thanks for your kind comments and to Flashling for a super blog. Although the inclusion of SCAT wasn’t supposed to bolster any sort of theme, I do find it quite odd that the jazz world chose to adopt such a snigger-worthy word to describe one of its major vocal techniques; you sense they didn’t really think it through. As for me, -C-T wasn’t great to work with; I’d just used SCOT elsewhere and T-CUT would probably be too obscure for most. A couple of other notes:

Mick H – re 18d. Yes, my test solver couldn’t see that one for a very long time. Funny really; the wordplay is remarkably straightforward – the wordplay components just seem to bury themselves in the surface.

Scarpia – re 6a. I absolutely agree. It took ages to find a form of words that got the message across without being too abstruse, and after much head-scratching I was prepared to accept something that was somewhere in the middle ground.

11. Allan_C says:

This was a tough one, but some very neat clueing. Didn’t get 18dn and even now can’t quite get it. OK, “rile” = “annoy” = “wind up”, but “wind up” to me suggests a deliberate act (as in “it’s a wind-up”) whereas “rile” is much more general. And “lines” as the definition of “profile” – well, I suppose it could be.

12. Abby says:

Considering that “jazz” is slang for ejaculation (think “jism”), “scat” doesn’t seem that odd. I also thought it was directly related to the phrase “talking shit”, though I’m not sure which came first.

13. Fyveashe says:

The currency in 12 down is surely the Sen river in Cambodia! This was quite a tough puzzle and it took my 90 year old crossword genius mother to spot the currency reference so I can’t take the credit!

14. Abby says:

Sen is a unit of money several places (used to be a fraction of a yen in Japan too, which is what I tried first). You don’t need to go to a “flower” to make it work,

15. flashling says:

Not much to add but a warm welcome to Abby & Fyveashe, nice to see new faces as it were, keep commenting – it makes us bloggers at least feel it’s worthwhile and I’m sure the setters too. I’ll head back to my sick bed now, the flu’s winning :-(