Independent 7542/Phi

Posted by John on December 17th, 2010

John.

The usual high quality crossword from Phi. I found this a little harder than usual, but have no excuse for doing so: all the answers were perfectly obvious once you had them. I think.

1 CANNIBALISM — CD: eating people may well cause an upset stomach
7 {w}ARM
9 Bread And Pastries
10 CHRISTOPHER — (the porch is)* R [thanks, Sidey], but what the King’s man is doing I’m not sure: was there a famous Christopher at King’s College Cambridge? Or is it a reference to the connection between Sir Christopher Wren and the king?
11 RELAPSE — (paler)rev. se{t}
12 MIASMAL — (lam’s aim)rev.
13 EARWIG — (I wager)*
15 TIM PANI{c}
19 K(L)ING ON — the klingons of Star Trek
20 B(ATM)AN
23 EU GEN I.E.
25 ME(MEN)T 0
27 IN TELL 1 GENT
28 RAT{e}
29 SA{n}D
30 N OR (THIS) LAND

1 CABERNET — a caber net might just be regarded as a Highland games website
2 NEPAL — (la pen)rev.
3 1 N {re}CEPTION
4 AIR MEN{u}
5 INSOMNIA — 1 (mansion)* — unable to get to sleep is the same as unable to get out
6 MOOLA — (a loom)rev.
7 AD HOMINEM — (maid, one HM)* — ad hominem is a term meaning personal, literally ‘to the man’: this might help. Might.
8 MOR(AL{e})E
14 RE(LEGATE)D — I think — the legate not the delegate is the representative
16 PLAYMATES — (yam)* in plates
17 HOTELIER — (The Loire)*
18 UNW(ON T)ED
21 BEGINS — beings with g (= government) moved
22 I(MME)S H — not a word with which I was very familiar, but the wordplay makes it easy enough
24 NO L AN — referring to Sidney Nolan
26 NO R MA

10 Responses to “Independent 7542/Phi”

1. sidey says:

10 is (the porch is)* + R(ex) John. Thanks for the blog.

2. IanN14 says:

There is a hidden theme, here, revolving around 10, 24. and contains four of his films.

Thank you, John, for the blog.

I think you do have an excuse, because this was certainly harder than your average Phi. Nothing wrong technically with the crossword: Phi is always very precise with his clueing. But IMMESH, MIASMAL and AD HOMINEM were new to me, and I’m not saying at all that you shouldn’t come across new or unfamiliar words in a daily cryptic, but perhaps a few too many today.

The theme? I guess only familiar to movie enthusiasts (ie not me). Did it make the puzzle more difficult because of having to accommodate the relevant clues? I know naff all about setting, so don’t ask me … but I will say that we’ve had another good week in the Indy. Not matched by the performance in Perth, I know, but it ain’t over till the fat lady sings. I suspect she’s rehearsing right now, though.

Sorry, if that all sounded a bit negative, just to say that I did really like MORALE, CABERNET and INTELLIGENT.

5. nmsindy says:

Thanks for the blog, John, and Phi for the puzzle. I too found this much harder than usual for Phi tho, as usual, all the clues were meticulously fair and clear. nmsindy is v weak on films having never heard of the actor or the films but always knows where to check for these afterwards, the Internet Movie Database which is incredibly comprehensive.

Nice to watch that sun in Perth whatever about the changing trend of the cricket. Those Ashes will have to be earned out there, just a little complacency had crept in among some commentators, I thought. K’s D had assumed in a comment some puzzles back that nmsindy was less interested in cricket than football, that is so, but it’s very much his second sport and it’s quite a series that is developing.

6. sidey says:

Good job we’re all different, I found this the easiest Phi for ages. I’d never have spotted the theme though.

7. flashling says:

I found this easy too despite my ‘flu ridden state. Last in Klingon which I gave myself a metaphorical kicking as the only thing I saw fitting was Clinton – alien life forn, well maybe!

Don’t know the actor so the theme went straight over my head.

Thanks John/Phi for this.

8. NealH says:

I’m afraid I didn’t like 1 across at all and didn’t really follow it. I’m still not sure I really do – it seems a bit too vague. Other than that, there was nothing to complain about. The idea of there being a film link did go through my mind when I saw Memento but I didn’t pursue it.

9. sidey says:

Neal, I think it’s a reference to the corny ‘Why was the cannibal feeling ill?’ ‘He’d eaten someone who disagreed with him’, not the best clue ever.

10. scarpia says:

Thanks John.
    Like sidey and flashling I found this one of Phi’s easier puzzles.Still,plenty of good stuff,CABERNET being my favourite clue.