Everyman No 3,350

Posted by PeterO on December 19th, 2010

PeterO.

Apart from one (or perhaps two) less well-known personages, there seems to be little to complain about.

ACROSS

1 CORDON BLEU Anagram (‘somehow’) of ‘old bouncer’. The definition refers to a graduate of one of the group of famous cooking schools.
6/10 LIKE NOBODY’S BUSINESS Charade of LIKE (‘take a shine to’) + NOBODY’S BUSINESS (‘private’).
11 PATIO Envelope (‘tucking in’) of I (‘one’) in an anagram (‘refurbished’) of ‘atop’.
12 CLIP JOINT Charade of CLIP (‘punch’) + JOINT (‘shared’).
13 ROAD HOG Anagram (‘nervously’) of ‘go’ + ‘Rhoda’.
15 ACHE Envelope (‘going round’) of H (‘hospital’) in ACE (‘expert’).
18 ORAL [h]ORAL (‘hourly’) less h (‘husband’s not there’).
19 ENGRAVE Double definition – it would be difficult to come up with a two-word clue that was anything else.
22 PERSIMMON Charade of PER (‘for each’) + envelope (‘around’) of M (‘end of term’) in SIMON (‘boy’).
24 ESSEN Anagram (‘changes’) of ‘sense’.
25 SNAKE IN THE GRASS Sort of cryptic definition, with reference to the absence of snakes in Ireland. St Patrick banished them. Or not, as the case may be.
26 STEP Reversal (‘backed’) of PETS (‘favourites’).
27 GROUND PLAN Charade of GROUND (‘stadium’) + PLAN[t] (‘works, for the most part’).

DOWN

1 CONSPIRE Charade of CON (‘study’) + SPIRE (“steeple’).
2 REBUTTAL Envelope (‘in’) of BUTT (‘victim’) in REAL (‘genuine’).
3 OLD MOTHER RILEY Charade of O (‘old’) + an anagram (‘when broadcast’) of ‘thrilled more’ + Y (‘unknown number’). A husband-and-wife as mother-and-daughter music hall act

4 BASIC Envelope (‘described by’) of AS (‘when’) in BIC (‘writer’).
5 ELUCIDATE Charade of ELUC, an anagram (‘cryptic’) of ‘clue’ + I (‘one’) + DATE (‘fruit’).
7 IBERIA [s]IBERIA ‘part of Russia, top hidden from view’.
8 ERSATZ Hidden answer (‘some’) in ‘footballERS AT Zagreb’.
9 SIR JOHN GIELGUD Anagram (‘critically’) of ‘judging his role’.
14 GOLDMINER Anagram (‘shot’) of ‘mongrel I’ + D (‘entrance to diggings’), presented as an envelope (‘across’). The answer is more commonly hyphenated
16 MARSHALL Charade of MARS (‘spoils’) + HALL (‘vestibule’). Fortunately an easy wordplay for a sculptor I had not come across before, although I must have seen some of his works.

William Calder Marshall
17 TENNYSON Envelope (‘around’) of NY (‘New York’) in TENS[i]ON (‘one free from stress’).
20 SPASMS Reversal (‘rising’, in a down clue) of SM (‘Sergeant Major’) + SAPS (‘undermines’).
21 ARCANE Charade of reversal (‘set up’) of RA (‘artist’) + CANE, homophone (‘reportedly’) of Cain (‘murderer’).
23 NEHRU Charade of N (‘noon’) + EH (‘he raised’) + RU (‘game’, Rugby Union).

8 Responses to “Everyman No 3,350”

1. Everyman says:

May I wish you all a very happy Christmas with the hope that 2011 is a good year for you.

There is a jumbo in next Sunday’s paper.

Thank you, Peter.

Enjoyable as always, with the one perhaps less well known person clearly signposted. I thought the SIR JOHN GIELGUD clue was very clever.

And thank you, Everyman, for your wishes and for the entertainment you have provided during 2010. Looking forward to the Boxing Day jumbo.

3. Davy says:

Thanks Peter,

Another enjoyable Everyman with the usual immaculate clueing. I particularly liked CORDON BLEU (I was trying for ages to get an actual chef’s name), ELUCIDATE, ERSATZ (very well hidden) and SIR JOHN GEILGUD which was brilliant.

I don’t remember there being a jumbo Everyman last year. Is this something new or is my memory getting worse ?.

4. Stella Heath says:

Thanks Peter, and to Everyman for another immaculate puzzle. I’ll look forward to next Sunday, which I believe it’s my turn to blog.

Have a good Christmas.

5. PeterO says:

Thank you. Everyman, for your greetings and for a steady supply of inventive and entertaining puzzles.I am sure we all wish you the best for Christmas, and a happy (not to say productive) New Year. In this puzzle, I had intended to vote SIR JOHN GIELGUD as COD (or should that be COW?), but it did not make the final draft.

6. Katie Lewis says:

Thanks for the blog. 18 and 19 ac seem to be missing.

7. Robi says:

Thanks Everyman; I always enjoy these crosswords and look forward to the Jumbo. Thanks also to PeterO for a good blog with interesting pictures. Katie @6, I believe 18a is ORAL – (H)ORAL ‘when husband’s not there.’ 19a is ENGRAVE, which I think is just a dd (apologies if I’ve missed something!

8. PeterO says:

Thanks Katie for pointing out the omissions, and to Robi for filling them in. They are now added to the blog.