Everyman No. 3351 (19th December)

Posted by The Trafites on December 26th, 2010

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all.  Nice crossword this week, got through it with surprising ease and speed. Lots of favourites, 11ac, 18ac, 27ac and 9dn.  First in was 1ac, last in believe it or not was 26ac.  Good luck with this weeks bumper crossword.  Thanks to gaurfrid for all the work he has done this year and years before on Fifteen Squared, and of course as always a big thank you to Everyman for all the excellent crosswords.

Legend to solution comments:
* = anagram.
< = word reversed.

1. Ring number at place where actors may be filming (2,8)
ON LOCATION O+N+LOCATION
6. See start of Schneider Trophy (4)
SPOT S(chneider)+POT
10. Device used by sailors on Ark Royal (5)
SONAR hidden: sailorS ON ARk
11. Boastful talk in front of groom as deacon prepared (9)
GASCONADE G(room)+(AS DEACON*)
the root of this word comes from Gascon in France
12. Local lingo in citadel abroad (7)
DIALECT (CITADEL)*
13. Young child being led, trod awkwardly (7)
TODDLER (LED TROD)*
14. Derogatory post in section of newspaper (8,6)
PERSONAL COLUMN PERSONAL+COLUMN(post)
‘personal’ can mean ‘aiming at offensively’, hence ‘derogatory’
18. Such as dates that can’t be kept? (9,5)
FORBIDDEN FRUIT sort of cryptic definition
20. Trendy drink, one had by daughter in flat (7)
INSIPID IN+SIP+I+D
23. Audible cries of disapproval at college drinking spree (5-2)
BOOZE-UP homophone of BOOS+UP
24. Among other things, bury one in a US city (5,4)
INTER ALIA INTER(bury)+A+(I in LA)
25. Woman with husband leaving Japanese dish, last of nine (5)
SUSIE SUS(h)I+(nin)E
26. Poet dropping in to play a prank (4)
LARK LARK(in)
see this poet here
27. Behind me, a lush fumbled with the wine bottle (10)
METHUSELAH (A LUSH+THE*) after ME
1. Working towards the same goal, team gives forward support (6)
ONSIDE SIDE(team) after ON(forward)
‘support’ here means ‘after’ as it is a down light
2. Listen and learn, dean ordered (4,2,3)
LEAD AN EAR (LEARN DEAN)*
3. Reprimand fielders in unsuitable footwear for cricket (6,8)
CARPET SLIPPERS CARPET(reprimand)+SLIPPERS(as in cricket, slip catchers)
strange definition ‘unsuitable footwear for cricket’?
4. Tensed, screwed up? (9)
TIGHTENED dd
5. Attack from the start (5)
ONSET dd
7. Pawn nobleman’s precious stone (5)
PEARL P+EARL
8. Bother about closing of station by NY borough (3,5)
THE BRONX (BOTHER*)+(statio)N+X(by, as in measures, a plank of wood ’6 by 4′ = ’6 x 4′)
9. The groom may wait a moment (4,4,6)
HOLD YOUR HORSES cdd
a groom may well indeed hold your horses
15. Be eager to land in US naval base (4,5)
LONG BEACH LONG+BEACH
16. Worldwide valuers in resort (9)
UNIVERSAL (VALUERS IN)*
17. Refuse to entertain ICI functionary (8)
OFFICIAL ICI in OFFAL
19. Giving address, look round quiet church (6)
SPEECH (SEE around P)+CH
21. Indian lute, one carried by celebrity (5)
SITAR I in STAR
22. 500 pixies endlessly dig (5)
DELVE D+ELVE(s)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

8 Responses to “Everyman No. 3351 (19th December)”

1. Stella Heath says:

Thanks Lorraine, and season’s greetings.

I completed this with one mistake – wasn’t sure how to spell Methuselah. In Spanish, it’s ‘Matusalén’, which didn’t exactly help :)

I was amused to see the meaning of 11ac. I seems the Basque people have a similar reputation on both sides of the Pyrenees :)

2. Tokyo Colin says:

Thanks Lorraine. Excellent blog as always.

This was a quick but enjoyable solve. I thought 3dn was amusing with its image of slips fieldsmen in carpet slipppers.

I took a while to see 25ac. In Japan, sushi is not a “dish”, more of a branch of Japanese cuisine, or type of restaurant. There are lots of words for Japanese dishes I considered before the penny dropped.

And Stella, one of my favourite winter drinks is Ron Matusalem from Cuba, also named after the old fellow. I guess he lived long enough to have acquired several spellings of his name.

Thank you as always, Lorraine.

Taking a post-lunch break from the Jumbo today to read your blog. This one was most enjoyable as always. My favourites this week were PERSONAL COLUMN and CARPET SLIPPERS. I liked the idea of fielders in slippers. The Australians might as well have been batting in them yesterday.

4. Robi says:

Thanks Everyman and Lorraine. As ever a good puzzle. I presume a typo in 2d (LE[a]ND AN EAR).

I also liked the image of cricketers in carpet slippers.

Season’s Greetings.

5. Clark Gwent says:

Thanx but though I got 8d The Bronx I still don’t get where the X comes from, that part about wood notwithstanding.

6. Tokyocolin says:

As the blog says, 6 x 4 = 6 by 4. So the X comes from “by NY”.

7. Davy says:

Or to be more specific x = the word ‘by’ in the clue.

8. Lou MacKinnon says: