Independent 7549 by Scorpion

Posted by nmsindy on December 27th, 2010

nmsindy.

This was hard as Scorpion often is, so well-chosen by the Indy for a Holiday Monday, got there in the end, solving time, 62 mins.

* = anagram

ACROSS

6 SN (bridge partners) AFU   Alternate letters in par four

7 Kenny EVERETT    ever = eternally   E for O in OTT     Surface referring to his often  controversial behaviour.

9 ADDENDUM     add and f irst letter of diner in (menu)*

10 Annie LENNOX    final letters of reveal the,   news = nn (ie two new’s)  OX  = no vote

11 STROLL   final letters of youngsters didn’t    roll = register

13 TOULOUSE    TO  LO after U = university   USE

14  CRISP    SIR in PC all reversed.      This refers, I think, to Quentin Crisp from the Naked Civil Servant with the whole clue giving the definition and was a very good clue construction

15 GRADE     BBC chief    R in (aged)*

17 GRENAD(a)  tESt

18 YUP  PIE      I liked this one a lot

20 Humphrey BOGART    BO (stink)   RAG reversed = tabloid     first letter of torment

21 Shane MACGOWAN   MA   C (caught from cricket)   (Wogan)*

23 AS A JOKE     K = Cambodia   Joe = soldier (US)   SA = Salvation Army

24 EXCEL     Spreadsheet computer program   X   CE in outside letters of essential

DOWN

1 CALEDONIAN CANAL     Cryptic definition, it runs diagonally across Scotland

2 QUID   squid less s

3 TERMITE     R = bank of Rhine  MIT (with in German) in TEE  (from golf ie driving)

4 JEALOUS GUY    John Lennon song

5 MEANS OF APPROACH   mean = low   sofa = seat    pro in (chap)*

6 Anwar SADAT     hidden reversal      Egyptian president, assassinated in 1981

8 TOOTSIE    Dustin Hoffman film   first = IST and O = first to open going up in TOE (end)

12 LAPIDATION    a PI (private investigator = detective) in (lad into)*

14 CORDOBA    cor = my   party = do   AB (seaman) reversed

16 ISHMAEL     (Amish)*   EL

19 IN ALL   N = navy  a = accepted in ill  =rough

22 CHEZ      ache less a  plus Z

11 Responses to “Independent 7549 by Scorpion”

Thanks, nms.

I did have a crack at this, but only managed about a third of it. All fair, but just too hard for me. As you say, though, it’s a day off for most folk, so a chance to tackle a tough one.

2. flashling says:

I couldn’t finish this either, very tough. Thanks for the blog NMS

3. IanN14 says:

I think the reason for all the proper nouns here is that (at least) seven answers were born on Christmas Day.

4. IanN14 says:

…Just a shame he couldn’t get (Alastair) Cook, for topicality, in there at 22d. perhaps, with a couple of small alterations?…

5. nmsindy says:

That was a good one, thanks, IanN14 (not for the first time!) for spotting it! The high numbers of names in the grid did strike me as unusual all right but I never thought of that. Have a feeling that, with modern practices in hospitals, it’s a diminishing breed…

6. Welsh pete says:

Anyone else see adios in row five? Is he trying to tell us something?

7. Simon Harris says:

Nearly finished this, with some persistence, but had to come here to get the last two. I did wonder about the names, too. Spotting the pangrammatic grid helped with a couple.

8. Jack Aubrey says:

Thanks for an instructional blog. They all seem to work very well. Obviously I didn’t.

Got a few but frankly I was struggling with this after using up the aged Aubrey brain on the Indy quiz of the year and the big general knowledge crossword (and maybe having one or two whiskies too many…..).

You know you are dated when Macgowan, Everett and Excel come to mind as “modern references” and it takes a while before you realise that they span about at least 25-40 years ago!

9. Jack Aubrey says:

Oh dear. Far too many drams. I meant the FT quiz, of course…….

10. eimi says:

There’s a Nina, but it’s in the clues, rather than the grid.

11. nmsindy says:

Thanks, Eimi, for those who do not still have yesterday’s Indy, the first letters of clues read MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL READERS.
    New Year resolution, routinely read first letters of clues, I used to do it in the themed puzzles but then got out of the habit, think Azed did it also in a recent competition puzzle.