My new job

Posted by petebiddlecombe on December 30th, 2010

petebiddlecombe.

Those of you who look at the Times for the Times blog will know that I’ve just started a new job.

I can now tell you that I’ve been appointed on a trial basis to edit the crosswords in the Sunday Times.

I’m obviously very pleased and know that many of you will be very pleased for me. At this stage there are only a few things to say:

• A big thank you to Barbara Hall for the help she’s given me during a brief handover period, and to those at the Sunday Times who decided to see whether I can fill this role well.
  • Any changes to Sunday Times crosswords will be slow and careful.
  • As some of you will know, I have been involved with Fifteensquared since it began, but now it is time for me leave – for obvious reasons, I will no longer be a contributor to crossword blogs.

17 Responses to “My new job”

1. Gaufrid says:

Some of you relatively new to Fifteensquared may not be aware that Peter has been involved with this site since its inception, providing both information to help solving and regular blogs. I’m sure we all wish Peter every success in his new job.

2. flashling says:

Congratulations Peter on moving over to the dark side…

3. Sil van den Hoek says:

Many sincere congrats to you, Peter.
    Even if I don’t know you in person, I can (more than) fully understand what this means to you.
    A lot, I guess.

Enjoy!!

4. Paul says:

Peter,

Very very many congratulations! Well deserved, and I am utterly confident you will do a superb job.

John Halpern (Paul)

5. Carrots says:

Wonderful news: Congratulations!

Now you can come to the Derby-Do on expenses!!

6. Uncle Yap says:

Congratulations, Peter, poacher turn gamekeeper. You probably did more than most to initiate and popularise the crossword blogs as we know them today and suddenly cryptic crossword isn’t such a lonely pursuit after all. All the best in your new undertaking.

7. eimi says:

Welcome to the gamekeepers’ club, Peter. We all know you’ll do a great job.

8. Rishi says:

Peter
    I am delighted to hear this news.
    I am sure you will do well.

9. John H says:

So you’ve got a new job then?

(Sorry, in-joke.)

All the best, mate!

J&J

10. Tees (not Teesween) says:

Great news Pete – you’re a brilliant bloke with a brilliant crosswording mind, and I know you’ll have the fun you deserve in this excellent new challenge.

All the best, and a very happy New Year to you,

Paul, Tees, Neo etc.

11. nmsindy says:

Congratulations on this, Peter, and I wish you every success in it.

That’s fantastic news, Peter. I’ve enjoyed your recent 225 blogs and will miss them, but I’m sure you’ll really enjoy your new role.

Congratulations, Peter!

You’ll be missed here but very much appreciated, I’m sure, where you’re going.

All the very best.

14. ilancaron says:

What an hono[u]r! I’m sure you’ll do an excellent job and having just read Richard Browne’s “Diary of a Times crossword editor” we have much to envy.

A personal thanks as well is due, since you provided me so much support and patience when I was new to this game (both cryptics and blogging) — though I suppose it’s your fault ultimately that I wait with bated breath for each week’s Listener now.

15. Colin Blackburn says:

Peter,

many congratulations on the job, I’m sure you’ll do it justice. It’s a shame to lose you as a contributor but I’m sure you’ll be lurking in the various blogs and forums.

All the best,

Colin

16. jmac says:

Congratulations to you, albeit tinged with sadness that you will no longer be blogging here. I found your blogs extraordinarily helpful – not only did you explain the clue, but you took the trouble to put into words what you felt about the clue, how it worked, how you were misled, etc., all of which has been incredibly instructive. Truly a prince amongst bloggers, good luck in your new job.

17. scchua says:

Congratulations Peter, and I also take the opportunity to wish you a Happy New Year. Though I know of you only through 225, and your own website before that, I’m sure you’ll put all your heart and soul into your new job, as you’ve done into these blogs. All the best wishes!