Everyman nº3352, Sunday, 26th Dec.

Posted by Stella on January 2nd, 2011

Stella.

An enjoyable puzzle, as always, with a few big smiles, like 2d, 4d or 8d, but I must confess to being a little disappointed – however much I look at it, I can’t see anything special or any seasonal references as promised, and it’s not even ‘bumper’, as Lorraine suggested in her blog last week

1. Think logically about a boy (6)
REASON RE+A+SON
4. Fruit in orchard’s first row (6)
ORANGE O(rchard)+RANGE
7. Charging Victoria, say, where juice is sold (7,7)
FILLING STATION FILLING (a lighter, for example) + (Victoria) STATION
10. Friar of noble birth in Spain (9)
AUGUSTINE AUGUST+IN+E (International Vehicle Registration)
11. Codeword, more used in front of ‘Oscar’ (5)
ROMEO *MORE+O(scar)
12. Comment in memo (4)
NOTE dd.
13. Cabal can, as represented in film (10)
CASABLANCA *CABAL CAN AS, easy enough to solve, but the surface reading is nonsense
16. Governor taking in surprisingly modern small London district (10)
BERMONDSEY *MODERN+S in BEY (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bey)
17. Novel set in Salem, Massachusetts (4)
EMMA Hidden in SalEM MAssachusets
20. Clubs suffer defeat nearby (5)
CLOSE C(lubs, card suit)+LOSE
22. Leader in event to head into the wind on the way back – man is brilliant (9)
EFFULGENT E(vent)+<LUFF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luffing)+GENT
23. Reprimand rep in hall (7,7)
LECTURE THEATRE LECTURE (reprimand)+THEATRE
24. Mimic arrives on board vessel (6)
PARROT POT around ARR(ives), though I think the abbreviation is more commonly applied to ‘Arrivals’, as in an airport
25. Slowly fencing in a shed (4-2)
LEAN TO LENTO round (fencing in) A
1. Stop female artist wearing check (7)
REFRAIN F +RA in (wearing) REIN
2. Reptile flying at gorilla (9)
ALLIGATOR *AT GORILLA
3. Lazy old couple housing sailor (6)
OTIOSE O+TIE (couple,unite) round O(rdinary) S(eaman), a new word for me, which I got thanks to the wordplay, via Spanish ‘ocioso’
4. Where you can see clock’s hands, apparently (2,3,4,2,2)
ON THE FACE OF IT Cryptic dd.
5. Last, at the end of the day (5,3)
AFTER ALL slightly cyptic dd.
6. Good scope for stable hand (5)
GROOM G+ROOM
8. How, stoically, to suffer the unwanted paparazzi? (4,3,4,2)
GRIN AND BEAR IT Nice &lit. that made me smile
9. Painter having year in part of India (4)
GOYA Y(ear) in GOA. He seems quite popular among setters
14. After noon, clear up after Brown in his former home? (6,3)
NUMBER TEN N+ UMBER+<NET. Another smile-provoker
15. Enterprising sort making torte with egg, whisked (2-6)
GO-GETTER *TORTE EGG
16. Second defender (4)
BACK dd.
18. Intricately traced round in style of interior design (3,4)
ART DECO *TRACED + O
19. Charge way over the odds for wool (6)
FLEECE dd.
21. Greek character making an appearance in home game (5)
OMEGA Hidden in hOME GAme
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

10 Responses to “Everyman nº3352, Sunday, 26th Dec.”

1. Stella says:

Sorry about the late post. I’d set it for midnight, but for some reason it hadn’t been published by the time I logged on this morning.

2. The Trafites says:

Hi Stella,

I totally agree with you I enjoyed the puzzle also.

Thought I read somewhere that last week that there was a bumper crossword, I get my puzzle on-line so perhaps it was only in the newspaper?

Lorraine.

Blog looks great Stella :)

Nick

3. Stella says:

Thanks to you both.

Everyman had said we were to expect something special, but, as I say, I can’t find it :(

Thanks, Stella. There were some inventive clues as usual – my favourites this week were GRIN AND BEAR IT and ON THE FACE OF IT.

I also enjoyed the jumbo Everyman, which was in the paper (and from memory, had a bit of a Christmassy theme).

5. NathanJ says:

I enjoyed this too.

Sadly, it appears the jumbo was only in the newspaper and since I live in Australia I can’t go out and buy a copy of the Observer.

I’ve just finished this week’s puzzle and enjoyed it as well. It was a bit harder than last week’s Everyman puzzle but still a very enjoyable solve.

6. Tokyo Colin says:

Thanks Stella. It seems we all smiled at the same clues. An enjoyable solve. I was stuck for a while on 16ac but remembered BEY from a recent crossword and so conjured up BERMONDSEY which looked unlikely but got a hit from Google.

Disappointed to miss the jumbo. But I have never even seen an Observer so not much chance of tracking it down here.

7. Robi says:

Thanks Everyman and Stella. An enjoyable puzzle. Didn’t see the ARR in PARROT, which I thought was just a reference to parrots being on vessels (?)

8. Sil van den Hoek says:

Thank you, Stella, for your explanations.
    Needed them for OTIOSE (3d) and FLEECE (19d, should have asked advice from Mrs Chambers).

I also want to say that I like the fact that you decided to blog the Everyman as the Trafites did so far.
    In daily (Guardian) puzzles I prefer the “usual” way, but this is just perfect!

Happy New Year.

9. muck says:

Thanks for the blog, Stella.
    I liked the clues being included – saves having to look through the recycling pile

10. Stella says:

Thanks, muck,

It is a good idea, though I can’t take credit for it; I borrowed it from more experienced bloggers :)