Independent 7,557/Dac

Posted by Ali on January 5th, 2011

Ali.

Happy New Year all.

A perfect way to start 2011 in my book – a well-crafted, elegantly clued Dac puzzle. I found the SW corner a little tough here and the anagram at 2D held me up for a while, but this was every bit as good as we’ve come to expect. There should be 51 more of these beauties before the year’s out too!

1 LAHORE – O(ld) in E.R + HAL rev.
4 PROPER – ROPE (guy) in P.R
9 BAGPIPER – PIP in B(lack) + (GEAR)*
10 CHIMPS – HIM in CPS
11 LANGUE DE CHAT – (A LUNCH DATE + E.G)
13 DUENNA – DUE + ANN rev.
14 HALLOWED – HALLO + WED(nesday)
16 STOCKTON – TON (fashion) with STOCK (store) prominent, i.e. first
18 WIDDLE – DD (pennies) in WILE
19 DRESSING DOWN – DRESSING (mayonnaise) + DOWN (to swallow)
22 ADMITS – M in ADITS
23 INDIAMAN – I AM in IN DAN[-ger]
24 PLYING – I think this is “playing” as a Cockney would say it
25 BROKEN – O.K in BREN
1 LEAN – LEA[-d] + N(ew)
2 HOPALONG CASSIDY – G(rand) in (HOLIDAY SNAPS CO)*
3 REPENTANT – RE (about) + PENT (imprioned) + ANT (colonist)
5 RACED – [-b]RACED
6 PRINCE OF DENMARK – ([-s]CEN[-e] + END OF) * in PRIMARK (store)
7 REPEATEDLY – ‘EATED in REPLY
8 CROUCH – A great double def.
12 BUTTERED UP – UTTER in BED UP. DEB = BED UP!
15 LOW LOADER – 0 in (ALLOWED)* + R(ight)
17 NOGGIN – (GOING)* after braNdies
20 IBSEN – B.S.E in IN
21 RAIN – Hidden in dRAINpipe

14 Responses to “Independent 7,557/Dac”

1. nmsindy says:

Thanks for the blog, Ali, and Dac for the puzzle. Yes, it was excellent, my favourites were BAGPIPER, HALLOWED and DRESSING=DOWN.

2. Wanderer says:

Thanks Ali and Dac, agree that this was very enjoyable. I read 22 slightly differently, as DM in AITS, which I learn is another spelling for the more familiar EYOTS.

3. scchua says:

Thank you Ali, for the blog, and Dac for another fine puzzle.

Favourites were 2D HOPALONG CASSIDY, a surprising “hero”, 12D BUTTERED UP, I liked BED UP = “deb”, and 20D IBSEN.

4. Mordred says:

More wonderful stuff from DAC. Superbly crafted clues with great surface readings. I, too, liked BED UP and ANT for colonists. I also enjoyed WIDDLE. Happy New Year meastro.

5. sidey says:

Apart from 8 which is seriously unimpressive and unsolvable for us foopball loathers (I’m still not sure I understand, is it scatological?), a very pleasant solve.
    Wanderer is definitely right at 2.

6. flashling says:

Got admits same as Wanderer, good stuff generally, rather hoped 8 would be a play on spur but still, thanks Ali/DAC.

7. Mordred says:

I had no idea who CROUCH played for apart from goal-hanging for England – but surely one didn’t have to be a football fan to see his name and picture all over the newspapers in the last few years.

Thank you Ali. There were two or three I needed your explanations for today, but as always it was a pleasure to solve. I always forget TON for fashion, so I couldn’t see STOCKTON, and I didn’t understand PRINCE OF DENMARK either. WIDDLE I liked for its clever surface and cheekiness.

9. sidey says:

It is remarkably easy to ignore foopball without any effort at all. In the days when the Pools offered the only way for Muggins to get rich quick soccer was possibly general knowledge. It isn’t any more.

10. Scarpia says:

Thanks Ali.
    Usual high standard from Dac,2 and 6 down being the stand out clues for me.
    Agree with sidey re.8 down – soccer trivia is not general knowledge.I like the scatalogical idea,it co-incides nicely with my idea of soccer!
    Not sure about PLYING,sounds more like a Birmingham/Wolverhampton pronunciation to me,but I may be wrong on that.

11. Ali says:

Thanks all for the pointers. Completely agree with the ADMITS parsing and did actually wonder what currency M would have been!

12. Gary says:

Why does ton = fashion?

13. Allan_C says:

Gary

Collins has ton = style, fashion or distinction (French, from Latin “tonus” = “tone”)

14. nmsindy says:

fashion = ton is a bit of a crossword staple from way back, can’t say I’ve ever come across it in “real life” but dicts have it as mentioned above.