Everyman No. 3353 (2nd January)

Posted by The Trafites on January 9th, 2011

The Trafites.

Lorraine This week I had trouble with the north east corner, possibly due to over indulgence at Christmas and New Year, got there in the end though. Favourite clues 11ac, 16ac, 20ac, 3dn, 4dn and 12dn.

Thanks to Everyman for a well composed puzzle.

1. Fancy cigars, ale and port (9)
ALGECIRAS (CIGARS ALE*)
This port in Spain
6. Tighten one’s belt in spring, saving bit of money (5)
SKIMP M(oney) in SKIP
9. Evergreen delivered by singer, half cut, during a party (7)
AVOCADO VOCA(list) in ADO
10. Constant source of exasperation, rental arrangement (7)
ETERNAL E+(RENTAL*)
11. What’s surprisingly great as a lachrymator? (4,3)
TEAR GAS (GREAT AS*) &lit;
12. Dreadful emails about son at a loose end (7)
AIMLESS S(on) in (EMAILS*)
13. Wrote, as agreed (12)
CORRESPONDED dd
16. Sending coaches, all but one, on expedition (12)
TRANSMISSION TRA(i)NS+MISSION
19. A grant secured by the Olympian (7)
ATHLETE A+(LET in THE)
20. Pick out one very much behindhand (7)
ISOLATE I+SO+LATE
21. Everyone taking part in trial? Most unlikely (7)
TALLEST ALL in TEST
23. A series under discussion (2,5)
AT ISSUE dd
24. Remain right inside, or wander off (5)
STRAY R in STAY
25. Sample tea, perhaps, a little at a time (9)
PIECEMEAL PIECE(sample)+MEAL(tea, perhaps)
1. Film vehicle entering at one (6)
AVANTI VAN in AT I
The film Avanti!
2. Girl must catch high ball in international (6)
GLOBAL LOB IN GAL
3. What there’s likely to be in a theatre in new surroundings? (6,2,7)
CHANGE OF SCENERY sort of cdd
4. Hotel facility may give one opportunity to go over (4,7)
ROOM SERVICE ROOM(opportunity)+SERVICE(to go over, as in a car service)
5. Novel, second by ambassador (3)
SHE S+HE
A novel by Henry Rider Haggard
6. Railway engine crew’s crazy thinking following onset of storm (5,10)
STEAM LOCOMOTIVE TEAM+LOCO+MOTIVE(thinking) all after S(torm)
7. Insinuation made by union worried about closure (8)
INNUENDO (UNION*) around END
8. China developed ideas for a means of defence (8)
PALISADE PAL+(IDEAS*)
China Plate=Mate=PAL – cockney ryhming slang
12. Two fools in centre of Ostend committing a murder (11)
ASSASSINATE ASS+ASS+IN+(os)TE(nd) around A
‘committing a’ means ‘having a’, i.e. inside
14. Salt ain’t mistaken, it’s that lost island (8)
ATLANTIS (SALT AIN’T*)
15. Single man, composer, put up part (8)
BACHELOR BACH+(ROLE<)
17. Film dog finding dope in railway siding (6)
LASSIE ASS in LIE
In Chambers, lie2; “a railway siding”
18. Uncover most of red meat (6)
REVEAL RE(d)+VEAL
22. Spinner’s cap and sweater (3)
TOP cdd

5 Responses to “Everyman No. 3353 (2nd January)”

1. Robi says:

Thanks Everyman and Lorraine.

Didn’t get the Cockney rhyming slang in 8 and wasn’t familiar with lie for railway siding, otherwise reasonably straightforward.

Quite liked 9 as well as your favourites.

2. Stella says:

Thanks Lorraine. Curiously, I had more difficulty in the NW than the NE, despite the fact the port is the main one between Spain and Morocco – I was looking for an English port, and had never thought of an avocado as an evergreen, or even as a plant, just the fruit.

At 25ac, I’d expected an anagram, but crossing letters precluded this, and then I saw the wordplay – nice.

Thanks, Lorraine.

Very clear clueing from Everyman as always. I got LASSIE, but needed your reference to the railway siding bit. I’m convinced I’ve seen this clued in a different way recently.

It’s sometimes difficult to say that x or y was your favourite clue with Everyman, because everything’s put together so well; so I’ll just comment on the overall enjoyableness of the crossword.

Thanks to blogger and setter.

4. Sil van den Hoek says:

I hardly comment to Everyman’s puzzles.
    As Kathryn’s Dad more or less says, they are so evenly clued.
    This week my favourite Sunday pastime was almost spoilt by 1ac, the only one I could not find without looking elsewhere.
    And when ALGECIRAS popped up, I thought: that would have been qualified as ‘obcsure’ in some crosswords.
    Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn’t – but dear me, what a fantastic clue!!

5. Dad'sLad says:

Thanks Lorraine,

No problems with any particular corner. AVOCADO was last in for much the same reason as Stella. Sil, ALGECIRAS would be straightforward for students who had studied the build-up to the First World War, due to the 1906 Conference held there. But quite possibly obscure for others.