Independent 7561 by Hypnos

Posted by NealH on January 10th, 2011

NealH.

A fairly gentle start to the week from Hypnos. There were lots of nice clues with 10 being my favourite. 4 down was also very good, but I’m pretty sure that the same thing has come up before. I suppose the only criticism that might be levelled is the usual one that not everyone in the world is a footall fan.

1 Hog: I assume this is H + go<, although my knowledge of football doesn't extend to whether there is a (presumably Korean) footballer called Go.
3 Prosaicness: Casino* in press.
9 Aroma: Hidden, reversed in “team or association”.
10 Ethnicity: ET + [nort]h + NI city.
11 Theresa: Easter* around [mont]h. Referring to Theresa May, the Home Secretary. A nice idea, although it might have read better if it had appeared in April.
12 Inaptly: Nap in It[a]ly.
14 Air conditioning: Airing around condition.
16 Hit the headlines: Hi[p] + (athlete shined)*.
19 Ringlet: Let (tennis service which hits the net) after ring.
21 Camorra: Ca around a mo(ment) + RR (Rolls Royce). The Camorra are a Mafia-type group in Italy.
22 Disrepair: Dire pair around s(on).
23 Alibi: Lib in AI.
24 Wedge Heeled: Wheeled around edge.
25 Yemen: Ye[ME]n.
1 Headteacher: He + (date)* + a Cher.
2 Globetrot: G trot around L OBE.
3 Placebo: Ace B in PLO.
4 Open and shut case: CD.
5 A Christmas Carol: (Sort acclaims har[d])*. “Seasonal work” here refers to the novel being a work written for the Christmas season.
6 Chicago: A + g[angsters] in Chico (Marx).
7 Eliot: Eli + OT.
8 Spy: DD.
13 Yugoslavian: (Once valuing soya)*
15 Inner City: Inn + E RC + [p]ity.
17 Hellene: HE around Ellen
18 Lampard: Lard around amp.
20 Nosed: No[r]se + d.
22 Dew: Hom of “due”.

13 Responses to “Independent 7561 by Hypnos”

1. scchua says:

Thanks NealH, and Hypnos, for, as you say, a gentle puzzle.

1A HOG is H(ard) + OG (=own goal, which is a “setback”).
    Favourites were 12A INAPTLY, 2D GLOBE TROT, and 6D CHICAGO

Thank you, Neal. I seem to remember Hypnos providing us with some tough challenges, but this one was pretty straightforward. Very pleasing, though. I had several favourites, including OPEN AND SHUT CASE, ETHNICITY and DISREPAIR. Good start to Monday morning.

3. nmsindy says:

Thanks for the blog, NealH, and Hypnos for the puzzle. I too found this enjoyable and quite easy, my favourite clue being RINGLET. I saw OPEN-AND-SHUT-CASE as a clue with two elements rather than a CD with the definition ‘simple legal matter’. Trickiest clue ETHNICITY.

4. walruss says:

Yes, a two-part clue for sure. Nice puzzle, seemed to be just right for a Monday, and very well-written. Good stuff Hypnos!!

5. Stella Heath says:

Thanks NealH, but I think you’ll find the anagram fodder for 13d doesn’t require ‘once’, which is actually part of the clue, as the country no longer exists.

Other than that slip, great blog for a relatively gentle stroll.

6. flashling says:

Personally I found this very, very easy, I don’t generally do fast solves, I like to take my time and enjoy it, but ’twas over before I’d started my pint. Still after Nimrod on Friday and the Bann man on Saturday it was a pleasant relief. Thanks Neal/Hypnos.

7. Hypnos says:

Many thanks to Neal for the blog and all for comments. There were in fact only 2 football references in the whole puzzle – but I appreciate that’s probably two too many for the soccerphobes among us. Talking of which, re K’s D and nmsindy, I’d better not mention recent giant-killing feats in the 3rd round of the FA Cup…..

Gaufrid has forbidden any off-topic mention of football on this blog, Hypnos. I’m surprised at you. The first goal was a foul in any case.

9. nmsindy says:

Seeing the word ‘giant’ used is nice tho…

10. Paul B says:

It is wrong to talk about Blackpool’s defeat by Southampton here, as I know Gaufrid will attest.

So I will talk only about the crossword here, which is an excellent one by Hypnos, a member of The Independent’s swaggering, swashbuckling, swanky, flamboyant, dare-devil, dashing, occasionally drunken, often youngish, potentially seafaring crossword compiler’s team. Bravo hearty shipmate.

Now for those lily-livered swabs in red.

11. pennes says:

I enjoyed this. Just got stuck on 6dn as I was sure the answer involved “capo” rather than “g” for head of gangsters. I don’t understand AI=capital, in 23 ac so enlightenment would be appreciated

12. flashling says:

@pennes A-One top notch, capital etc.

13. dram says:

Thoroughly enjoyed it, I had never heard of Camorra but scraped home from the wordplay.

Favourite was 10A which was also the last one in. Many thanks Hypnos and Neal for the blog