Financial Times 13,589 Set by AARDVARK

Posted by PeeDee on January 12th, 2011

PeeDee.

Enjoyable crossword, neither too hard nor too easy.  This was my first FT blog and I don’t know AARDVARK at all, so was a little apprehensive starting this one.  My favourite clue was 26dn with a nice surface reading and a good ‘aha’ moment on solving.

1 SENORA bARONESs
4 PSYCHS UP P (pastor) with ouside letters of SundaY +  CH + SUP
9 ESCUDO anagram of USED with part of  COin (and literal definition)
10 BEN NEVIS BENN (politicain) and ElVIS without ‘l’.  I was fasciniated to discover how many ‘Benn’ politicians there are to choose from: Arthur, Brindley, Emily, Hilary, Sir John, Stephen, Tony, William…
12 PLATYPUS PLUS around  A TYPe (blood group briefly)
13 CORNEA CO (company=buisiness) ARE* hiding N (new)
15 REIN RE (regarding, on) and IN (home)
16 BLANCMANGE Raymond BLANC  GAME* including N (national)
19 CHELTENHAM (HE THE CLAN M)*
20 STUB BUTS reversed
23 DEFACE ED around CAFE reversed
25 AT A GUESS TAG (name) with UsEd inside ASS
27 LOLLARDS ALL reversed inside LORDS.  The Lollards were followers of John Wycliffe.
28 PANAMA PAN AM + A
29 ABOVE ALL OVEn inside A BALL
30 FAG END F (emale) AG (Ag chemical symbol for siver) END (cutains)
1 SLEEPER LEE (shelter) inside REPS backward
2 NECTARINE (N CERTAIN)* + E (bearing)
3 REDEYE Sounds like “Red I”
5 SUET IsSUETips
6 CONSOMME CON with Moan inside SOME
7 SEVEN SEVE Ballesteros plus close of piN.  Reference is to the 7th hole. on golf course.
8 PASSAGE PAS (French not) with SAGE
11 CURLING Cryptic definition
14 INFANTA IN (popular) + FANTA
17 NOTRE DAME MADE Runs in ETON all reversed
18 STOCKADE STOCK (standard) + ADE (‘aid’ homophone)
19 CEDILLA (CALLED I)*
21 BUSTARD U with SmarT inside BARD
22 IGUANA Anagram of Umbrage and AGAIN.  I liked ‘ground’ as the anagram indicator here.
24 FALDO FAL (rivier in SW England) and DO (fleece = to ‘do’ someone out of their money)
26 IDOL Left following I DO (Do you promise to take…?)  Took a while to catch on to this one!

* Anagram

8 Responses to “Financial Times 13,589 Set by AARDVARK”

1. nmsindy says:

Thanks for the blog, PeeDee. Of the Benn politicians, Tony would be by the far the best known, I’d say.

2. Bryan says:

Many thanks PeeDee you are really getting around!

I enjoyed this: full marks to Aardvark.

3. Tony Welsh says:

Failed to finish this puzzle, so thanks for the blog, PeeDee. Re the Benn politicians, I would have thought it was more relevant how many Tonys there are. Eden, Blair, Crossland come to mind. I just googled “tony politician” and Benn came up first.

4. Scarpia says:

Thanks PeeDee.
    Enjoyed this puzzle from Aardvark,who I find one of the more difficult of the FT setters.As usual there were some clever,misleading surfaces and some unusual definitions.
    I,also,liked 26 down along with 13 across and 14 down.I didn’t realise Fanta was still available,my drinking tastes have moved on somewhat from sweet fizzy drinks!
    I am puzzled by 2 down,the clue only works if NOTE can be represented as NE.I can’t find it in Chambers,is this an acceptable abbreviation?

5. PeeDee says:

Re 2 dn: I thought of N as being half of ‘NB’ meaning ‘note that…’. Actually though, this is not a very good solution, as now I look it up in Chambers it stands for ‘nota bene’, or ‘good note’ in Italian, so it needs translating before it really works.

Anyone got any better ideas?

6. Gaufrid says:

Hi Scarpia and PeeDee
    2dn is N (note) *(CERTAIN) E (bearing)

7. Scarpia says:

Thanks Gaufrid.
    So obvious when you point it out!
    I should have spotted that,but well done to Aardvark for a nicely disguised clue.

8. PeeDee says:

Thanks Gaufrid, Sorry Scarpia, I forgot to add the E into the explanation. I understand what you are gettting at now.