Derby Sloggers and Betters Event 29th January

Posted by Admin on January 14th, 2011

Admin.

Update and Important Request

The get-together in Derby is only a couple of weeks away, and I need to send everyone who’s indicated they’re coming some final details. The most important bit is that we are now up to 38 attendees, and the chef at The Waterfall has requested that we indicate starters and main course choices in advance so that he/she has a decent chance of getting us all fed on time.  So can I please ask those who previously haven’t contacted me directly on my e-mail to do so?  Just a one-liner so that I have your e-mail address to send you the relevant stuff.  I will reply to everyone individually, so I won’t share your address with others.

At the moment, I don’t appear to have had invididual contact from kloot, Tom Johnson and Carrots, so look forward to hearing from you on pwharvey at msn dot com.  To all others who’ve already got back to me directly, look out for something in your inbox this coming weekend.

The good news (apart from for Derby County fans of course) is that the Rams were knocked out of the FA Cup by lowly opposition and won’t be featuring in the 4th round on the 29th, so we’ll have the city centre to ourselves without interruption from football aficionados.  I won’t say any more about giant-killing in the 3rd round though …

Really looking forward to meeting everyone on the 29th.

Peter/Kathryn’s Dad

23 Responses to “Derby Sloggers and Betters Event 29th January”

Hi all

I’ve now sent individual replies to everyone who contacted me directly on my e-mail. If you haven’t received anything, please check it hasn’t gone into junk mail; otherwise please get in touch again.

We are up to the big four-zero. There is still time for any last-minute Charlies, but you’ll have to be quick.

2. Carrots says:

Hi K`s D…just to confirm I`ll be there (well, The Bruswick “early doors”). You should also have heard from Dave & Roger from the Black`s Head in Wirksworth: last week when I last spoke to them they also wanted to come.

Is there a menu or something from which to order our blotting paper etc?

I did wing an e-mail to [email protected], but will send another, just in case.

Carrots

I don’t think I’ve had a mail from you (unless you’ve sent it under your real name and haven’t told me that you’re Carrots). Can you try again? Heard nothing from the Wirksworth duo, so please ask them to confirm asap as I need to give The Waterfall final numbers soon.

Tks

4. REGALIZE says:

Hello ADMIN
    Yes I will be coming (via invite from The dynamic duo) J and J lovebirds – tell the chef I will eat almost anything cooked by someone else.

More good news – just had it confirmed that another setter, Gozo/Busman, will be joining us next Saturday.

Thanks to all for giving me your menu choices – you are an organised lot …

We are now the big four-o plus a few, so if you want to meet everyone you’ll have to talk quickly and circulate between courses.

Final input from me.

Firstly just to say thanks to Gaufrid for keeping this notice at the top of the blog so we could get ourselves organised.

Secondly, dropped into The Waterfall today to give them everybody’s menu choices, which you’ve all of course remembered? But just in case you haven’t I will bring a list. We’re now up to 45 … scary!

To find The Executive Bar, enter, turn right and keep going. The staff seem very friendly and helpful, so if you get lost, just ask. ‘Peter’, ‘crossword do’ and ‘fifteensquared’ are the passwords you should try if you’re trying to get to the inner sanctum.

7. Jan says:

Just knock three times and whisper low
    That you and I were sent by Joe
    Then strike a match and you will know
    That you’re in Kathryn Dad’s Hideaway…OLÉ

Kathryn’s Dad, I know that I express the thanks of all fifteensquareds for your effort in bringing about the Derby get-together – well done you. :D

Jan

I know I said that no 6 was my final input, but just to say I’m really looking forward to meeting you on Saturday, because you’re clearly on something that I need to find out more about …

9. anax says:

Shameless self-plug, for which I apologise – try to get a copy of Saturday’s Indy if you can. I’ll bring some spare print-outs just in case locals shops have run dry.

10. Sil van den Hoek says:

We’re not gonna do bloody crosswords the whole afternoon, I hope?

11. gnomethang says:

//We’re not gonna do bloody crosswords the whole afternoon, I hope?//
    Not all afternoon, Sil. Towards the latter part of the evening spontaneous ‘Naked Twister’ challenges usually break out (well they do in that London anyway).
    Hope you all have a great time!

12. flashling says:

Alas I won’t be able to make it, but will look for the Anax puzzle. However ill health and geographical issues make it impractical. Hope to make the next one.

13. anax says:

Gnomey, you only mentioned the naked Twister idea because Jayne will be there with me. Am I right?

A local Derby statute forbids Naked Twister in public places, I’m afraid. However, since we do have a private room …

Thanks to Gaufrid for letting us use the site to advertise and organise it. Safe journeys tomorrow – see you then.

15. gnomethang says:

anax got the deluxe edition (the one with the fluffy coloured circles) for Christmas! ;-)

16. John H says:

I too will be bringing a prize puzzle, especially for flashling!

17. flashling says:

Thanks John now you know I won’t be there :-). I’d like to see it so if anyone could get a copy to me somehow please do, even if I have a poor track record with his puzzles. Have a good ‘un folks

Sorry you won’t be there, flashling. I was looking forward to meeting you. Maybe next time …

19. MikeC says:

Thanks, K’s D for organizing an enjoyable event. Now that I can put faces to more names, I shall be even more careful what I say on 225!
    Anax, your puzzle entertained me on the journey back to Cardiff. I needed a little google, etc, assistance to finish but I did enjoy it. Cheers!
    I’m still working on Nimrod’s offering. A bit of a stinker but some nice clues, once you see them. Not at all sure that I will cross the winning line on this one – is anyone going to blog it?
    Best to all

20. MikeC says:

Sorry to cross with myself, almost. With some judicious googling, I do now have answers for Nimrod’s puzzle – but there are still some I don’t really understand/am not sure of. So a blog from someone more expert, as and when appropriate, would be much appreciated! I can say that I am now not at all surprised that I found it so difficult without web access . . . but the topicality of the puzzle was fun – thanks.

21. John H says:

Thanks to all – but you’ve had a sneak preview of what I think will be a future puzzle – so, please, no blogging at the moment.

A great day was had by all, I think, and thanks once again to Peter for his organisation.

We’ve just arrived home after a couple in the Betjeman at St Pancras Station. I think, therefore, I have had six pints today – plus Sil’s donation!

22. MikeC says:

John H @ 21
    I did wonder: hence the “as and when appropriate”.
    Only 6 pints – what restraint!!
    Wrt today’s puzzle, have you considered a more “robust” alias – I know Torquemada’s already spoken for?

23. flashling says:

Ah well, didn’t wake till 5 this afternoon so a 4 hour train ride each way made this one impossible to attend. Just finished Anax’s puzzle, cor some obscure stuff and tricky wordplay in this. @John H which of your pseudonyms will yours appear under? Sounds like Eileen and Peter put on a great event.