Independent 7567 by Glow-worm

Posted by nmsindy on January 17th, 2011

nmsindy.

Pleasing puzzle from Glow-worm which I found very much on easy side, perhaps chosen as such for a Monday.      Solving time, 15 mins

* = anagram

ACROSS

1 CHARGÉ D’AFFAIRES    required to pay = charged  a = adult  (fairs if)*

9 OCTOBER      Hamlet’s infinitive = TO BE from     “To be or not to be”   in Shakespeare’s play      leading soldier = OC  (Officer Commanding)   R = runs (cricket)

10 ORGANIC      A very good surface with the answer hidden in reverse   in   “garliC IN A GROcer’s”       Definition:   additive-free      Great spot by the setter to produce a great clue, my favourite today.

11 STEIN    Double definition     a beer mug  and English TV chef, Rick Stein

12 CARRY OVER    CAR (vehicle)  (Roy)*  VER(y) = very nearly

13 ESSENTIAL     E’s  sent  (v)ial

15 SPRAT    Alternate letters (every second) of  ‘a superb act’      Refers, I think, to the proverb –  throw a sprat to catch a whale

16 TICKS     Double definition

18 CINEMATIC     Amen = final word reversed in Critic less r = right

20 LIMELIGHT     1952 Charlie Chaplin film    L in (eight-mil)*

23 ADIEU   die    in A   U

24 SCHERZI       anagram of schmaltzier  less malt = spirit      plural of scherzo =  a particular type of lively music

25 IDIOTIC    I’D  I (first letter of irritation)  OTIC (of the ear)

26 DIRECTOR-GENERAL    (noted career girl)*

DOWN

1  CROSS-FERTILISED     cross = angry (answer to 6)     in the club = fertilised   (pregnant)

2 ARTLESS       heartless = callous as a Cockney (Eastender) might say it

3 GO BANANAS      ban = prohibition in Goans (Indians) including a = alcohol initially (first letter)

4 DORIC      Greek columns   (Nordic)* less capital ie N

5 FLOOR PLAN    loo in Fr and plan (aim)

6 ANGRY    My favourite clue after ORGANIC, first letters (indicated by ‘only the beginners’) which I saw only near the end.   Definition:  wild      Excellent seamless join between two parts of clue at  wild/animals

7 RUN OVER     I liked this one a lot too.   un (a in French) in Rover (car)

8 SECURITY COUNCIL     (Us cut no ice Cyril)*    UN SC in New York

14 INCOGNITO    (coin)*   voting (reversed = upcoming) less V = Victor (code word for the letter V)

15 SUMMATION    (amounts I’m)*

17 CAMPHOR    camp (affected)   HOR(se)

19 TWISTER   Double definition    twister = tornado = storm

21 LYRIC    hidden in JoeLY RIChardson   – actress, born 1965, daughter of Vanessa Redgrave

22 TRING    From T-square and ring = enclosure      Town in Hertfordshire

10 Responses to “Independent 7567 by Glow-worm”

1. scchua says:

Thanks nmsindy for the blog and to Glowworm for an easy straightforward puzzle, with very neat clueing.

Favourites were 13A ESSENTIAL, 1D CROSS FERTILISED and 14D INCOGNITO.

Thanks, nms.

What a lovely puzzle. Pretty straightforward, with a rather generous grid, but with some delightful clues. I liked ARTLESS today, as well as RUN OVER. The DIRECTOR GENERAL one made me smile too: I’m sure it’s serendipity, but the ageism fuss with the BBC’s sacking of Miriam O’Reilly has been all over the papers in the last few days. And I used to live in Tring, so that made me smile too. Does anyone use T-squares any more or have the gone the way of slide rules and quill pens?

Interestingly, I’d never heard of your expression for 15ac, nms. I’d say ‘to throw a sprat to catch a mackerel’, but I see now both are used.

Good Monday puzzle, thanks to Glow-worm.

3. NealH says:

I finished this in my lunch hour with considerable time to spare, so it must have been easy. I think having the four long clues around the perimeter, all of which were fairly gettable, made it a bit easier than normal. It was quite nice to see Indians used in its correct sense in 3 down instead of referring to Native Americans. 26 was a great anagram.

I’d also never heard sprat used in connection with whales. It’s quite odd that anyone would use it in that context, since I don’t know how one tiny sprat could be expected lure a whale which is busily hoovering up millions of tons of plankton.

4. nmsindy says:

I’m sure you guys are right about that sprat proverb. I put the explanation forward very tentatively. The answer was pretty clear from the wordplay but a proverb referring to it meant nothing to me. Had a quick look at the ODQ, no ‘sprat’ in its index. So I googled and that gave me the whale. I’d never heard of it either, tho the mackerel one now mentioned I think I have heard of all right.

I also agree with the comment about the four perimeter entries maybe helping to make it an easier puzzle.

Curiosity aroused (and as a displacement activity from work) I decided that I’d find out what a ‘sprat’ actually was. To quote:

“Sprats, also called bristlings, are European herrings. Alternatively, food producers may apply the term sprat to some species of commercial American herrings. As food fish, vendors market this species both as Norwegian or Swedish anchovies and sardines and sometimes as “bristling sardines.”

I wish I hadn’t bothered. But I’m pretty sure neither mackerel nor whales eat them, so goodness knows where the expression comes from.

6. walruss says:

I didn’t hang around much with this one either, but thing is it’s a neat little puzzle. Easy but really good, so well done Glow-worm!!

7. flashling says:

Another vote for an easy gettable one – except ticks which I’d always thought were insects so was a bit hesitant on that. Still thanks NMS/Glowworm for a monday treat.

8. jmac says:

There were some lovely clues here, my only slight reservation is that as many of the answers simply flew off the page the enjoyment came from later parsing rather than solving.

Oh, yes, K’s D, Mackerel do eat sprat.

9. Jack Aubrey says:

Thanks to Glow-worm and nms. Two pleasantly easy and fun crosswords which fitted nicely into the rhythm of the day. This one lasted just long enough for the train ride between Drem and Edinburgh with lots of grins.

10. Scarpia says:

Thanks nms.
    Not difficult,but a very enjoyable puzzle to solve.My favourite clue was 7 down,nicely misleading surface I thought.