Financial Times 13,594 / Jason

Posted by Agentzero on January 18th, 2011

Agentzero.

Nothing too difficult today, but some clever constructions and no complaints.  13 across and 1 down were particular favourites.

1 AGENDA AGE (become old) + *(AND)
4 ATLANTIS N[ote] + IT reversed in ATLAS (map book)
9 THRONG R[uns] in THONG (g-string, say)
10 MARQUISE MA (mother) + *(SQUIRE)
12 LASH L[ake] + ASH (tree)
13 STEPLADDER *(SLEPT) + ADDER (summer)  Terrific clue!
15 PLAIN SAILING I (one) in PLANS (methods) + AILING (weakening)
18 TOUT ENSEMBLE *(MEN USE BOTTLE)
21 UPPER CRUST [s]UPPER (son leaves meal) CRUS (vineyards) T (start to “trade”)
22 EVER LEVER (force) minus the initial letter
24 SALT AWAY d&cd
25 EMBARK ME reversed + BARK (growl)
26 DISHEVEL DISH (good-looker) EVE (the first woman) L[eft]
27 STOLEN STOLE (scarf) N[ame]

1 ANTELOPE *(ONE LEAPT) An elegant &lit clue
2 EUROSTAR *(A ROUTE’S R[ight])
3 DONE D (diamonds) ONE (ace)
5 TRAMPOLINIST IS and L[earner] in *(IMPORTANT)
6 ACQUAINTED A C QUAINT (charmingly old-fashioned) ED[itor].  Never been a fan of the “stuttering” device.
7 TRIADS homophone of TRY (judge) + ADS (posters)
8 SHERRY ERR (go wrong) in SHY (modest)
11 STEAK TARTARE *(STARTER TAKE A)
14 IN-YOUR-FACE d&cd
16 ABOVE ALL d&cd
17 BEARSKIN BEARS (moves) KIN (family)
19 NURSED NURSE (fish) D[ied]
20 APPLES PP (postage and packaging) in ALES (drinks)
23 OMIT O[ver] MI (note) T[roy]

7 Responses to “Financial Times 13,594 / Jason”

1. Uncle Yap says:

Very smooth like the 15 year old Dimple I had while solving this. My COD, the &lit 1Down but the other clues were just as well-crafted. Thank you, Jason and AgentZero (when are you getting your double zero so you will be licensed to kill?)

2. Bryan says:

Many thanks Agentzero

This was very enjoyable with TOUT ENSEMBLE my last entry.

As Jason was the setter, I anticipated the possibility of a few Greek words but never French.

Oh la la!

3. Bryan says:

Oh yes and STEAK TARTARE was another!

Which reminds me that I once visited Paris with an English colleague who tried to order Steak Tartare – Well Done.

4. Tony Welsh says:

Tout ensemble was my last one too, Bryan. That’s the second time we lately that we have had a French phrase; not sure that should be allowed, though my Chambers’s says it is in more or less common use (in English I assume they mean!) and I suppose that is the acid test.

23d bothers me as well. We have had this discussion before, but what exactly legitimizes abbreviating o(ver) and T(roy)?

5. Gaufrid says:

Tony
    O is an abbreviation for over or overs (cricket) and T is an abbreviation for Troy (weight), both are in Chambers (and elsewhere).

6. bamberger says:

Got about half out when my alloted hour was up. I agree with Tony about the French phrase. Looked at ?o?t and the remaining letters I had and tout never came to mind.

I have decided that if I need (say)a “c” for the wordplay to work and there is word that begins with c somewhere in the clue, that will be it on the grounds that no matter how unlikely, it will have c as an abbreviation in some dictionary.

7. Scarpia says:

Thanks Agentzero.
    Enjoyable puzzle with nothing controversial.Totally agree,1 down and 13 across were the outstanding clues.
    Also liked 21 across.
    Has anyone else noticed that when a setter uses fruit in a clue it usually refers to the plural?
    Bryan @3 – nice one!