Financial Times 13,586 by Cinephile

Posted by Pete Maclean on January 20th, 2011

Pete Maclean.

Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of January 8
Cinephile gives us a few fine clues here, 1-18A (STANDING OVATION), 10A (DISARM) and 1D (SUPINE). And a couple of unconventional clues that I like, notably 15D (PRIME TIME). Then there are a couple that I am unsure about: 16A (ENTERIC) 27A (ANGSTROM). And one, 6D (INITIATED), that I do not understand.

As is often the case with Cinephile’s puzzles, I managed to finish this one fairly quickly because the clues with long answers are rather easy.

1, 18. STANDING OVATION – N (North) + DINGO (Australian dog) + V (opposed to) all in STATION (sheep farm). A sheep ranch in Australia is called a sheep station.
5, 22, 23dn: WITHIN THESE FOUR WALLS – WIT (intelligence) + HINT (clue) + HES (he’s) + anagram of RULE AS WOLF
9. POSITIVE – SIT (to take seat) + IV (tea time) in POE (American writer)
10. DISARM – anagram of R (right) + MAD IS
12. NINTH – hidden word
13. CHORISTER – anagram of SHORT RICE
14. HERPES – HER (lady’s) + PES (slipper)
16. ENTERIC – ENTER (put yourself) + IC (first century). I am away from home and do not have my usual dictionaries at hand so I cannot be certain but I can find no support for “enteric” having a meaning related to fever. It normally means relating to the intestines.
20. GO DOWN – GOD OWN (suggestion of divine possession)
23. WHOLE – WHOLE[sale]
24. RETAIL – RE (about) + TAIL (queue)
25. DISLODGE – ISL (man maybe cut short) in DODGE (trick). How does “man maybe cut short” clue ISL? I am thinking of “no man is an island” but am unsure that this is the reference intended.
26. LIEDER – homophone (“leader”)
27. ANGSTROM – hidden word? Angstrom is a unit of distance which could be applied to a wavelength but is it okay to refer directly to a wavelength as an angstrom? Some would complain about the extra words in the fodder (PAVAROTTI, ERUPTED and ETC) but maybe it is not a hidden-word clue — after all, there is no conventional indicator of hiding. Is the idea that when “Pavarotti sang, Stromboli” erupts, ANGSTROM will come to the surface?

1. SUPINE – PIN (number) in SUE (go to court)
2, 7. ABSENCE MAKES THE HEART GROW FONDER – contrast to “nearest dearest”
3. DUTCH – double definition
4. NOVICES – NO VICES (nothing but virtues)
6. INITIATED – ??? “one had a bite of dinner” presumably clues IATED but I cannot see the rest.
8. NUMERACY – anagram of MENU + RACY (fast)
11, 19. FORENOON – FO (return of) + RENO (divorce centre) + ON (possible). Reno, Nevada is known for easy divorces.
15. PRIME TIME – both rhymes of RHYME
17. POSTURAL – POST (letters) + URAL (range)
20. GORDIAN – GO (proceed) + AID (help) backwards in RN (navy)
21. REDEEM – RE-DEEM (think again) with a cryptic definition

13 Responses to “Financial Times 13,586 by Cinephile”

1. Jan says:

Aw, shucks, Pete, I was hoping you could explain 6d!

I couldn’t find pes in Chambers but it does give enteric fever = typhoid fever.

2. JS says:

RE 25ac I assume “man maybe” refers to the Isle of Man.

Thanks for the blog, Pete.

I agree with JS re 25ac.

I read 6dn as IN IT [wherein]I ATE D[inner]

Chambers gives enteric = relating to the intestines and enteric fever = typhoid fever – but it’s a weakish clue.

PES is in Chambers ‘the human foot’ – ‘on which to put lady’s slipper’.

Sorry for the duplication, Jan!

5. Scarpia says:

Thanks Pete.
    For 6 down ‘…wherein one had a bite of dinner’ The IN could come from from wherein but that still leaves us short of IT.
    I read 25 in the same way as JS and share your misgivings re 27.One of Cinephile’s trademark liberties I suppose.
    Really liked 1/18 as well,Cinephile at his best.

6. Scarpia says:

Thanks Eileen.
    You’re up late! :)

7. Pete Maclean says:

JS, Thank you. I should have seen that!

And thanks to the other commenters.

8. Sil van den Hoek says:

A week ago I didn’t know what to think of this Cinephile.
    In my notes I had put about 8 question marks.
    After a chat with my PinC and after reading the blog (and the comments) above, there are only 3 left.

Of course, ANGSTROM (27ac) is a hidden answer, and the only way that I can make sense of anything like an indicator, is the way Pete does it (as the result of an eruption). However, what is “etc” doing there, especially since it is placed behind “erupted” (so obviously not being part of the fodder)?

The other hidden answer indicator, the one in 12ac is also worth a question mark.
    “Ordinal for the man in the moon”: “for” as the indicator? Not for me (yet).
    If Cinephile would have said “The man in the moon for ordinal” (which is nonsense) than the use of “for” would have been more or less clear to me, even though still not convincingly so.

Finally in 24ac (RETAIL) there’s something odd going on, probably a typo in the PDF version.
    “…. about queue. tell!”. Surely “tell” must be capitalised – unfortunately it did confuse me for a while.

Normally I do not like those extremely long anagrams, but I think 2,7 was very nice (enhanced by its surface).

Thank you, Pete, for the blog.
    There were some comments on ENTERIC, and it took me some time to parse it [one of my early question marks], too, but I think it’s fine – although I would have made the word “into” part of ENTER, so “Put yourself into”.

9. bamberger says:

Usually I finish the prize puzzles (not that I submit them) because I dip in and out and use a few electronic aids -but found this hard and had several gaps.Mind you equally true of Mudd’s 13592 where I’m looking forward to see if it really was as hard as I found it.

12a Oh dear missed a hidden word.
    14a Never heard of pes
    16a heard of gatroenteritis so I suppose fair enough
    1d Pin =number -presumably a reference to those four digit things you have to commit to memory
    15d Not very taken with this.

10. Pete Maclean says:

Sil, why do you think “tell” should be capitalised in 24ac? I can see no reason.

bamberger, I had not heard of pes as an English word either but it was easy to guess and quickly confirmed in Chambers. “Pes” happens to be the Portuguese word for feet.

I can understand not being taken with 15d but I maintain my admiration of it.

11. Sil van den Hoek says:

Pete, you’re right about ” ‘tell’ in 24 across”.
    The pdf DID have a colon after ‘queue’, so for some reason I’ve overlooked it.
    Let’s blame it on the printer.
    But I am still not really happy with these “hidden answer indicators”.

12. Wil Ransome says:

Usual moans about Cinephile, although there were I suppose some quite good clues, like 10ac, 20ac, 1dn, 4dn. I thought 13ac (Short rice cooked for singer) was quite pathetic — the most obvious anagram and an absolutely nothing surface. Like Sil can’t understand what the etc is doing in 27ac, and agree the hidden indicators (for in 12ac, and whatever it is in 27ac) are pretty feeble. And what are all those words doing in 2, 7dn? Hardly pithy.

13. Wil Ransome says:

And I also should have mentioned 5dn, where what seems to be intended is ‘In it I ate d’, but isn’t ‘a bite of’ doing double duty? ‘had a bite of’ = ‘ate’, and ‘a bite of dinner’ is d{inner}. If so, rather libertarian.