Everyman No. 3355 (16th January)

Posted by The Trafites on January 23rd, 2011

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  I enjoyed doing this weeks offering, first in was 1ac. and the last in was 22dn. Plenty of anagrams to keep me happy, which I love trying to fathom out.

Many thanks to Everyman for his usual high standard of crosswords, always a Sunday morning pleasure.

Legend to solution comments:
* = anagram
< = word reversed

1/6/9. Politician very lively at social event? (3,4,3,4,2,3,5)
THE LIFE AND SOUL OF THE PARTY cd
6. See 1
- -
9. See 1
- -
10. Filthy place close to stable, an eyesore (4)
STYE STY+E
12. A US art critic upset Thomas Nast, for example (12)
CARICATURIST (A US ART CRITIC*)
this guy
15. Leave a ring on (7)
ABANDON A+BAND+ON
16. Contact one in salon I refurbished (7)
LIAISON I in (SALON I*)
17. A room’s musty stocked with old sherry (7)
AMOROSO O in (A ROOM’S*)
19. City left by British in ruins, after bombing (7)
LISBURN L+(B in (RUINS*))
20. Fail to win card game so become exasperated (4,8)
LOSE PATIENCE cd
23. Catch learner driver, man going the wrong way (4)
NAIL L(learner driver)+IAN (all reversed)
24. Language that may make native seem shocked (10)
VIETNAMESE (NATIVE SEEM*)
25. Take off around start of summer recess (4)
APSE APE(take off, i.e. mimic) around S(ummer)
26. Dish in B&B – his hake’s fantastic (5,5)
SHISH KEBAB (BB+HIS+HAKES*)
in a bed & breakfast?
1. System of weights used for precious metals in ancient city (4)
TROY dd
2. British painter and philanthropist beheaded (4)
ETTY (g)ETTY
see J. Paul Getty and William Etty
3. Plant in pond, and clay pipe, oddly (7,5)
ICELAND POPPY (POND CLAY PIPE*)
4. Joy, family member appearing topless (7)
ELATION (r)ELATION
5. Two things used in tennis game (7)
NETBALL NET+BALL
misleading clue
7. For a starter, publisher is entertaining ten on new A list circuit (6,4)
OXTAIL SOUP OUP(publisher, Oxford University Press) after (X before (A LIST*)) all before O(circuit)
phew! very convoluted indeed
8. Officer in place with leaseholder (10)
LIEUTENANT LIEU(in place[of])+TENANT
11. Hebridean island policeman is over in Sark for a film (8,4)
JURASSIC PARK JURA+((PC IS<) in SARK)
at a first glance, this seems to lead to the brilliant film The Wicker man (not the absolutely crap remake!)
13. A cab’s crashed going over windy canal in Moroccan city (10)
CASABLANCA (A CAB’S*)+(CANAL*)
14. They may be expressly provided for the rest of the Continental passengers (6-4)
WAGONS LITS cdd
wagons lits are sleeping compartments on continental trains (à la Orient Express) see HERE
18. Drunken sot, affluent one who ignores home truths? (7)
OSTRICH (SOT*)+RICH
stick one’s head in the sand
19. The father of Odysseus relates badly (7)
LAERTES (RELATES*)
21. Rosemary, for example, is from Frobisher Bay (4)
HERB hidden: FrobisHER Bay
22. Swimmer in book caught in trap (4)
WEBB B(book) in WEB
ref. to Captain Webb, the first man to swim the English channel

7 Responses to “Everyman No. 3355 (16th January)”

1. Robi says:

Thanks Everyman and Lorraine for a good blog – I liked your links.

An entertaining Sunday morning solve, especially after the struggle with the prize crossword on Saturday.

Luckily, I too saw 1ac more-or-less straightaway, which helped getting the others. Had to check Thomas Nast and Laertes, and took a while to get Jurassic Park, but all were nicely clued.

2. Stella Heath says:

Thanks Lorraine and Everyman.

I didn’t see 1ac. until fairly well into the puzzle, while taking a break to clear my head, but when I did, it was a real aha :)

I missed out on two of the four-letter-words (tichy), being unable to find the painter at 2d.( BTW, it seems there is also an architect of that name), and at 22 I was looking for a fish. Not that it would have made any difference, as this is my first acquaitance with Mr. Webb, too.

There’s a typo in your parsing @8d., and I took 18 to be: -RICH=’affluent’, giving ‘one who ignores home truths’

Many thanks, Lorraine. I couldn’t work out ETTY either so couldn’t quite finish this one. I got WEBB but didn’t make the link to the cross-channel swimmer, who now you mention him does ring a bell.

I wasn’t taken with ‘musty’ as an anagram indicator in 17ac, but I liked JURASSIC PARK and VIETNAMESE.

4. Davy says:

Thanks Lorraine,

I only clue I didn’t get was WAGONS LITS which I had never heard of. Maybe I should get out more. My only problem with the clue is that there is no way into it unless you happen to know this expression. Obviously most people did as no-one has commented about it. Thanks Everyman for another enjoyable puzzle.

5. The Trafites says:

Hi Stella

Yes, 18dn rich does = affluent, did not explain that in the blog as I regarded it as obvious. Thanks for pointing out the typo, all sorted now.

Lorraine.

6. Joachim says:

7d is not as convoluted as you think!

It’s:

“Publisher entertaning ten on A list, possibly, with duck starter”
    which turns into:

“OUP entertaining X (ALIST) with O – starter”

That means the OUP includes all the rest. Hence the O of OXTAIL is from OUP, not from duck — we have

O [ X (ALIST) O ] UP

7. The Trafites says:

Joachim,

It would appear that we have different clues for 7dn.
    I use the on-line version, and it is known that clue edits sometimes do not get updated on the Internet.

Lorraine.