Independent on Sunday 1,092 by Quixote

Posted by Simon Harris on January 23rd, 2011

Simon Harris.

Nothing too troublesome this week, I think. Another pleasant Sunday solve.

1 LIEU – potential hom. of “loo”, depending on one’s accent.
4 BISECT – BI[g] + SECT.
9 PARCEL – R[i]CE in PAL.
10 HONORARY – (N + OR) in HOARY.
11 VISA – [ad]VISA[ble].
12 OVERDRAFT – (ADVERT FOR)*.
13 APPRENTICESHIP – A + P + PR + ENTICE + SHIP.
15 SENSATIONALISM – (MAIL NASTINESS)*.
19 LOW SEASON – W[inter] in LOSE A SON.
20 NODEN + ODE.
21 FREIGHTS – RE in FIGHTS.
22 LINGAM – L IN GAM, very clever.
23 DOLLOP – DOLL + OP.
24 SEEP – PEE’S<.
2 INANIMATE – IN A + IN< + MATE.
3 UNCLASP – UNCL[e] + ASP.
4 BENEDICT ARNOLD – (INDECENT OLD BAR)*.
5 SURPASS – SUR[e] + PASS.
6 CARAT – A in CART.
7 ALL OVER THE SHOP – dd., reference to the infamous bull in a china shop.
8 THREAT – HATTER*.
14 IMMEDIATE – I’M + MEDIATE.
16 SAWMILL – SAW + M + ILL.
17 OBSESS – BOSSES*.
18 INNINGS – GIN* in INNS.
19 LARGO – [popu]LAR GO[spel].

11 Responses to “Independent on Sunday 1,092 by Quixote”

1. scchua says:

Thanks Simon for the blog and Quixote for another enjoyable puzzle.

My favourites were 13A APPRENTICESHIP, 15A SENSATIONALISM (fitting for The Daily Mail), 22A LINGAM.

I think you might have a couple of typos:
    9A PARCEL – R[i]CE in PAL,
    22 LINGAM – L IN GAM.

2. Quixote says:

Thanks for the blog and appreciative comments. In answer to last week’s query about my history on the daily: I have set 127 daily cryptics for The Independent, the first being No 129 on 9 March 1987 and the latest being No 1021 on 20 January 1990. I have set all 1093 of the Independent on Sunday puzzles so far, beginning on 28 January 1990, and have counted them. The number attached to my puzzles is correct, unlike the issue number at the front of the paper which lags two behind (a fact pointed out to the paper but alas ignored).

3. Noddy says:

A pleasant Sunday puzzle.

4. Stella Heath says:

Thanks Simon and Quixote.

As you say, a pleasant puzzle. The only one I couldn’t parse, and still don’t get, is ‘lingam’. I assume you’re right in suggesting that this is a sort of ‘backward’ clue, but Wiki gives ‘gam’ as slang for ‘leg’, which I can quite see, while a ‘lingam’ supposedly represents a phallus, so there’s perhaps some little thing missing for it to be a brilliant clue?

5. NealH says:

Glam = “the Hindu phallic image of the god Siva” i.e. a Hindu symbol. The other bit is just that glam is gam with the letter l in it i.e. l in gam. A nice clue, but I must admit to having to do a word search to get it because I didn’t know the word.

6. nmsindy says:

LINGAM I got it eventually from the wordplay which was tricky. It was my last answer. Had not heard the word before so it was pleasing to verify it and find I was correct.

7. NealH says:

I did mean to say Lingam = “the Hindu phallic image of the god Siva” there, of course.

8. flashling says:

Thanks Quixote – I only started doing cryptics in 1990 which might explain why I don’t remember you. I do remember Duck in the magazine with an impossible puzzle ot two though.

9. rodders says:

Not that happy with 24a – Pee’s reversed is a bit coarse for this newspaper !

10. flashling says:

@rodders #9 perhaps you should see some of Paul’s in the Grauniad. Sensitive souls should look away now!

11. Scarpia says:

Thanks Simon.
    Another very good puzzle from Quixote.Particularly liked the anagram at 15 across,which BTW needs an O(love).Also thought the clue for LINGAM was very clever.
    1 across is o.k.as,like you say,a potential homphone.I don’t like that pronunciation but it is often used and is given in dictionaries.
    I think rodders comment was surely ironic.