Financial Times 13,601 by ALBERICH

Posted by PeeDee on January 26th, 2011

PeeDee.

Quite a tricky puzzle to finish, the bottom left corner had me stuck for quite a while.  Lots of nice clues with some nice & Lits.  I thought 27 across  was nicely crafted, and 14dn made me smile too.

Hold the mouse over a clue number to view the clue.

1 PIESPORTER PIES (dishes) PORTER (beer)
7 MOBS Merged On Baker Street
9 SPUR SPURs (‘Spurs’ is the nickname of an English football team)
10 TROWBRIDGE TOW outside Right and BRIDGE
11 GAMBLE G AMBLE
12 OMISSION O (circular letter) MISSION (‘an act of sending’)
13 CHUCKLED Lake inside CHUCKED  (‘lake into thrown’)
15 ESSE homelESS Enlightens (esse = existence, being)
17 MOWN sounds like moan (beef)
19 OVERTIRE OVERTImE with R (run, cricket) replacing ‘m’ (start of mayor)
22 SEQUENCE SEE (observe) around QUENCh (put out)
23 AGENDA AGE (get on) AND*
25 MONTEVERDI MONTE (card game) VERDI (comoser) gives another composer
26 ELAN ELsAN (manufacturer of portable toilets)
27 TSAR  R (Russian leader) with lAST (finally left abandonned) reversed (in revolution) :  ‘The Tsar was abandonned by the communists who revolted against him’.  A very nice example of an & Lit clue.
28 LIE IN STATE Anagram of Acheivement + ENTITLES + I
2 IMPEACH I’M (CHEAP)*
3 SHRUB SH RUB
4 ON THE SLY (HONESTLLY)* & Lit.
5 TO GOOD TO BE TRUE Time and (OGRE BOOTED OUT)*
6 RABBIT BAR (save as in ‘all bar one’) reversed with BIT (coin)
7 MAINSHEET IN SHE inside TEAM reversed.  Nautical term for the rope.
8 BUGLOSS Definition and cryptic definition.
14 CONDUCTOR Cryptic definition.  Sir Henry Wood – a good conductor of music, but less so of electricity.
16 NEGATION GAT (gun) inside (ONE IN)*
18 ONEROUS ER (Elizabeth Regina – the queen) and O (round) inside ONUS
20 RADIANT Reviews with AIDA reversed New Tenor.
21 SNIVEL Son and LEaVIN‘ reversed
24 EVENT E (East = orient’s, apostrophe indicates ‘has’) VENT (opening) meaning fixture.  Thanks to Gaufrid for this.  O (Orient’s opening) VENT (opening fixture) & Lit.  Leyton Orient is an English football team.  I would have liked a question mark on this clue, as Orient’s first game of the season is an example of an event, not a definition of one.

*anagram

11 Responses to “Financial Times 13,601 by ALBERICH”

1. walruss says:

Quite a nice puzzle with ‘honestly*’ my favourite. I would also like to put forward the ‘Duncan’ syle of blogging, seen here to an extent, as a template for all 15/2 blogs. What a great way to do it, with the clue, the wordplay and the answer all shown. Would Gaufrid consider this?

2. Gaufrid says:

Hi PeeDee
    The wordplay you have given for 24dn leads to ‘ovent’ rather than the required EVENT.

I parsed this one as E (Orient) VENT (opening) with the definition simply ‘fixture’.

3. PeeDee says:

OVENT – Oops! How could I not see that?

4. Gaufrid says:

Hi walrus
    Not everyone has the time to prepare posts in a similar manner to Duncan (some of the bloggers have to work for a living!) so I am not going to be prescriptive regarding the content, style and layout.

I can see a benefit in having the clues included in a prize puzzle, when the blog appears a week or more later, since some people may no longer have the original puzzle. There is also more time available for writing these blogs so more scope for additional detail.

However, for daily puzzles there are greater time constraints and, if someone doesn’t have a hardcopy of the puzzle, the clues can always be viewed by opening the relevant paper’s webpage in another window or tab.

5. Tony Welsh says:

Thanks,PeeDee. I found this hard too, but top right rather than. Did not get 17a though, and while I finally guessed 6d and 13a I did not understand the wordplay, so thanks for that.

Favorite clue was 14d. For along time thought 13a had something to do with Lake Chad! Never heard of BUGLOSS or ESSE but looked them up.

My usual beef with 20d: what indicates that New Tenor was to be abbreviated? (Alberich could have used the old favorite, “books” for New Testament here.)

6. nmsindy says:

Emjoyable puzzle, quite tough in places but all clear at the end. Esp liked CHUCKLED, ON THE SLY, RABBIT. Re Tony Welsh’s point at #5, crossword convention is that abbreviations are not normally indicated – they would of course be abbrevs that appear dicts like n = new and t = tenor here. Thanks PeeDee for the incredible blog (but thanks also Gaufrid for making it clear it won’t become the standard – I’d never have the time!) and thanks Alberich for the puzzle. For those outside the UK, maybe it should be explained that Spurs is short for Tottenham Hotspur Football Club from North London.

7. walruss says:

No problem, Gaufrid. Thanks for responding!

8. bamberger says:

Didn’t have much to show for an hours graft though mostly down to my failings.
    15a Thought there might be a hidden word but hadn’t come across esse.
    17a Excellent misdirection -went through all the cuts I could think of but didn’t think of the other meaning of beef.
    8d Not something I’ve ever come across. Well done anyone who got that one.
    14d Another “never heard of ” for me-ditto for 5/8 colleagues.
    26a as for 14d. As someone put it -you don’t run marathons or have a caravan so why would you know that. 2/8 had heard of that -one a camper and one a marathon runner. Is it really that well known?

9. PeeDee says:

Why are there elipses linking 9ac and 10ac?

Encourage footballers, mostly . . .(4)
    . . . . outside right, to draw game with Wiltshire town (10)

The clues don’t join into a coherent sentence, ‘footballers’ is plural but ‘outside right’ is singular. The ansers are not related and the clues are not interdependent.

10. Sil van den Hoek says:

Thank you PeeDee for your magnificent blog (and I do like the fact the explanation part is no too expansive).

Although I haven’t finished yet the recent Klingsor puzzle of the same setter, I was pleased to see his name on the bill today.
    It was a good crossword, but I will not speak in terms of ‘superlatives’ as some people might think I’m biased. :)
    My PinC, though, mentioned quite a few times the word “clever”.

We weren’t sure about 17ac and had – like others – to check the rightness of BUGLOSS (8d), a word that was perfectly guettible [which means guessible or gettable].
    We knew that 26ac had to be to obvious ELAN, but couldn’t explain it. Another case of using a brand name as (part of the) answer. To be honest, I’m not particularly keen on these things – on the other hand using brand names in the clue itself is OK for me.

PeeDee, you have your doubts about the ellipsis.
    Indeed, there’s no relation between the solutions of 9 and 10ac, but I think the two dó make a proper sentence with a football surface: … footballers, [to be found] mostly [on the] outside right, [are bound] to draw …

Not the trickiest of Alberich’s puzzles, but many fine clues.
    Agree with walruss that ON THE SLY (4d) was one of the best.
    And agree with PeeDee about TSAR and CONDUCTOR.
    And let’s not forget the splendid CHUCKLED (13ac), the nice surface of 20d and the effectiveness of the wording in 25ac.

11. Scarpia says:

Thanks PeeDee.
    Unlike Sil,I have no reservations in using superlatives to describe this puzzle – super,excellent etc.
    If I had to find a fault it would be with 18 down,ONUS and ONEROUS are,perhaps too similar.
    So many good clues that it is hard to pick a favourite but special mention must be given to 13 across.I knew from check letters that it must be CHUCKLED or CHORTLED but took ages to twig the wordplay and yet it was so simple!
    ELSAN I’m afraid is too familiar to me,we didn’t have a flushing toilet at home until I reached 16.Still remember having to take my turn at emptying our Elsan!