Everyman No 3,356

Posted by PeterO on January 30th, 2011

PeterO.

A few mild obscurities, perhaps, but plenty of smooth surfaces. Thanks to The Trafites and to PeeDee for the tools to help create this blog.

1. A master of light farce with point to get across (8)
TRAVERSE Charade of TRAVERS (‘a master of light farce’, Ben Travers) + E (‘point’).
5. Wrong answer for peninsula (6)
CRIMEA Charade of CRIME (‘wrong’) + A (‘answer’).
9. Aunt Sally, perhaps? (4,4)
FAIR GAME Cryptic definition, referencing the fairground (and pub) game, and also the colloquial meaning of the answer.
Aunt Sally

Aunt Sally

10. Dessert – seconds accepted by timid type (6)
MOUSSE Envelope (‘accepted by’) of S (‘seconds’) in MOUSE (‘timid type’).
12. Suffer, popular course of remedial treatment incomplete (5)
INCUR Charade of IN (‘popular’) + CUR[e] (‘remedial treatment’ ‘incomplete’).
13. Malibu, drab for us surprisingly (9)
SURFBOARD Anagram (‘surprisingly’) of ‘drab for us’.
Strictly, Malibu is a type of surfboard, not a definition of the word, and this should be indicated by some tag such as ‘perhaps’ or ‘for example’, or at least a question mark to suggest the liberty.
15. Type of rhyme senior eleven composed (7,5)
LEONINE VERSE Anagram (‘composed’) of ‘senior eleven’. A type of poetry, originally mediaeval Latin, using internal rhymes.
18. Novel author left out all the time, at first (7,5)
FOREVER AMBER Charade of FOREVER (‘all the time’) + AMB[l]ER (‘author’, Eric Ambler), with the l (‘left’) removed (‘out’).
The novel by Kathleen Winsor.
21. The old one getting out of bed is a speculator (9)
THEORISER Charade of ‘the’ + O (‘old’) + RISER (‘one getting out of bed’).
22. Daring support garment, extremely versatile (5)
BRAVE Charade of BRA (‘support garment’) + V[ersatil]E (‘extremely VersatilE).
23. Spotted motorway leading to Yorkshire town (6)
MOTLEY Charade of M (‘motorway’) + OTLEY (‘Yorkshire town’).
Motley is particoloured or variegated, which is close to ‘spotted’, if not quite.
25. Little known about Greek character, a monster (8)
MINOTAUR Envelope (‘about’) of TAU (‘Greek character’) in MINOR (‘little known’, as in minor poets, perhaps. The Cretan monster.
.Minotaur bust

Minotaur bust (National Archaeological Museum of Athens)

26. Follow notice in programme (6)
SHADOW Envelope (‘in’) of AD (‘notice’) in SHOW (‘programme’).
27. Champion eight reportedly unhappy about capsizing (8)
CRUSADER CRU, homophone (‘reportedly’) of crew (‘eight’; again indication by instance, not definition) + SAD (‘unhappy’) + ER, reversal (‘capsizing’) of re (‘about’).
1. Petty quarrel at home making midday meal (6)
TIFFIN Charade of TIFF (‘petty quarrel’) + IN (‘at home’).
2. A coin for each person (6)
APIECE Charade of ‘a’ + PIECE (‘coin’).
3. Agree, oddly, with bearded man, one volunteering for extra work (5,6)
EAGER BEAVER EAGER, anagram (‘oddly’) of ‘agree’ + BEAVER (‘bearded man’).
Beaver as a bearded man derives not from the animal, but an item of mediaeaval armour covering the lower face.
4. Dickens character, strong man securing power with money (7,5)
SAMPSON BRASS Envelope (‘securing’) of P (‘power’) in SAMSON (‘strong man’) + BRASS (‘money’).
Sampson Brass is a character in Charles Dickens’ The Old Curiosity Shop.
6. Letter from Greece from air hostess (3)
RHO Hidden answer (‘from’) in ‘aiR HOstess’.
7. Wholesale slaughter in Israeli port after religious ceremony (8)
MASSACRE Charade of MASS (‘religious ceremony’) + ACRE (‘Israeli port’).
Acre Tower

Acre Tower

8. City, Lincoln, run by university administrator, we hear (8)
ABERDEEN Charade of ABE (‘Lincoln’) + R (‘run’) + DEEN, a homophone (‘we hear’) of dean (‘university administrator’).
11. Liqueur, one imbibed by imposing George Eliot character (5,7)
GRAND MARNIER Envelope (‘imbibed by’) of I (‘one’) in GRAND (‘imposing’) MARNER (‘George Eliot character’, the eponymous Silas Marner).
14. What some violent troublemakers wear for kicks? (6,5)
BOVVER BOOTS Cryptic definition; for putting the boot in.
16. Frequently ring two newspapers (8)
OFTTIMES Charade of O (‘ring’) + FT + TIMES (‘two newspapers’).
17. Beverage teenager brewed (5,3)
GREEN TEA Anagram (‘brewed’) of ‘teenager’.
19. False rumour an eccentric put about (6)
CANARD Envelope (‘put about’) of ‘an’ in CARD (‘eccentric’, noun).
20. In heart of Vietnam, blunder causes extreme fear (6)
TERROR Charade of T (‘in the heart of VieTnam) + ERROR (‘blunder’). ‘In’ does not indicate an envelope this time.
24. Italian novelist in the city centre of Bologna (3)
ECO Charade of EC (‘city’ of London) + O (‘centre of BolOgna’). The Italian novelist Umberto Eco, best known for The Name of the Rose.

8 Responses to “Everyman No 3,356”

1. Sil van den Hoek says:

Thanks, PeterO – your blog looks fantastic.

I don’t comment very often to Everyman puzzles.
    Don’t get me wrong, I dó like them, but I’ve hardly a thing to add to what’s already been said.

This time, Mr Scott won.
    I really couldn’t find MOTLEY (23ac).
    I’ve been in a lot of places in the UK, but I’d never heard of Otley.
    Didn’t know what to do: M1+T?E? or M+?T?E?.

Almost went wrong in 15ac, too.
    “Senior eleven” is indeed an anagram of LEONINE VERSE, but also of ONE LINE VERSE [which I filled in initially - silly me].
    Interesting thing, a one line verse ………… :)

Also wonder whether some people would have gone for “dinosaur” instead of MINOTAUR in 25ac. I didn’t!

2. Davy says:

Here’s an interesting explanation for “on with the motley” :

Very thorough and nicely presented blog, Peter.

I struggled with this. I didn’t help myself by putting in FAIR PLAY instead of FAIR GAME, and couldn’t get EAGER BEAVER for ages because I’d convinced myself that ‘agree, oddly’ meant it started with ARE; would never have understood the ‘bearded man’ bit. But got there in the end.

Many thanks, PeterO, especially for the ‘armless-looking monster. :-) [I have actually seen it.]

Re EAGER BEAVER – A Level English to the rescue again, in the description of the Ghost of Hamlet’s father:

Hamlet:
    Then saw you not his face?

Horatio:
    O yes, my lord, he wore his beaver up.

Hamlet:
    What, look’d he frowningly?

Horatio:
    A countenance more in sorrow than in anger.

Hamlet Act 1, scene 2, 229–232

[If only I could remember much more recent things so well!]

5. PeterO says:

Sil – 23A is a definite obscurity, particularly as ‘spotted’ is a dubious definition. Davy’s link sums up the word very well; the use in Shakespeare (ditto for beaver) would likely pass by in a stage production as something that must have has a meaning to the Bard. Motley crew (or Motley Crüe) is better known, but many might use the phrase without any idea of what ‘motley’ really meant.
    I like your ‘one-line verse’ – outhaikuing the haiku.

6. Tokyocolin says:

Thanks PeterO. 23ac was my last in as well. I hadn’t heard of Otley but then I rarely know UK place name references. A bigger obstacle was as you say, that ‘spotted’ is a dubious definition. I think the word itself is fairly common. Those who don’t know Motley Crüe probably know Motley Fool, on both sides of the Atlantic by now.

7. Robi says:

Thanks Everyman and PeterO for a good blog.

Didn’t realise EC was the city centre; it’s also hidden in thE City, which was the way that I parsed it.

As usual, an enjoyable Sunday solve.

8. Colin Blackburn says:

I did this puzzle a few days after Sunday and on the same day as I tackled a Telegraph cryptic. They both had TRAVERSE and TIFFIN and both pairs of clues used the same wordplay. Both were enjoyable.