Quiptic crossword No 585

Posted by PeterO on January 31st, 2011

PeterO.

I was feeling particularly leaden, and made heavy weather of solving this, but in writing it up there does not seem to be anything to struggle over: mostly straightforward charades and envelopes.

9. Persuasive quality of procession heading off round Lesotho’s borders (9)
ELOQUENCE Envelope (’round’) of LO (‘LesothO‘s borders’) in [s]EQUENCE (‘procession’  ‘heading off’).
10. Animal’s ready (5)
RHINO Double definition, one being the dated slang for money.
11. Such as you can read, say, in appalling libel (7)
LEGIBLE Envelope (‘in’) of EG (‘say’) in an anagram (‘appaling’) of ‘libel’.
12. Drudge went out with useful tool (7)
HACKSAW Charade of HACK (‘drudge’) + SAW (‘went out with’).
13. Almost worthless intelligence (4)
NOUS NO US[e] (‘worthless’ ‘almost’).
14. Carson’s Act unfortunately set aside (10)
SACROSANCT Anagram (‘unfortunately’) of ‘carsons act’).
15. Headgear for police caught out at junction (7)
TOPPERS Charade of T (‘junction’) + [c]OPPERS (‘police’ without c, ‘caught out’).
17. Closes a street in Cambridgeshire region (7)
FASTENS Envelope (‘in’) of A ST (‘a street’) in FENS (‘Cambridgeshire district'; The Fens are partially in Cambridge).
19. Part of church unfinished after a century in recession? No way! (3,1,6)
NOT A CHANCE Reversal (‘in recession’) of A TON (‘a century’) + CHANCE[l] (‘part of church’ ‘unfinished’).
22. Fan backing a swimmer (4)
TUNA Reversal (‘backing’) of NUT (‘fan’) + ‘a’.
23. Begins espionage activity initially where there are few observers? (4,3)
OPEN SEA Charade of OPENS (‘begins’) + EA (‘Espionage Activity’ ‘initially’).
24. Country boy conceals map (7)
LAPLAND Envelope (‘conceals’) of PLAN (‘map'; we have had objections to this definition before, but it seems close enough for me) in LAD (‘boy’).
26. Session at school containing hospital unit (5)
THERM Envelope (‘containing’) of H (‘hospital’) in TERM (‘session at school’). The unit of heat.
27. Given money, corrupt sovereign (not English) might do so (9)
MISGOVERN Charadde of M (‘money’) + ISGOVERN, an anagram (‘corrupt’) of ‘sover[e]ign’ without e (‘English’). An &lit.
1. Jeers from New Zealand about Tibetan leader’s footwear? (10,5)
WELLINGTON BOOTS Envelope (‘about’) of T (‘Tibetan leader’) in WELLINGTON BOOS (‘jeers fron New Zealand'; such might come from the NZ capital. Or might not).
2. Tedious spring event (4,4)
LONG JUMP Charade of LONG (‘tedious’) + JUMP (‘spring’).
3. Restrain youngster crossing river (4)
CURB Envelope (‘crossing’) of R (‘river’) in CUB (‘youngster’).
4. Joint protectors affording Spooner vital rest periods (8)
KNEECAPS Spoonerism of key naps (‘vital rest periods’).
5. Zambia’s hyperactive breeze (6)
ZEPHYR Charade of Z (‘Zambia’) + EPHYR, an anagram (‘active’) of ‘hyper’.
6. Old codger briefly profits from bloomers (8)
CROCUSES Charade of CROC[k] (‘old codger’ ‘briefly’) + USES (‘profits from’).
7. Settles into bed, regularly doing something immoral (4,2)
DIGS IN Charade of DIG (‘DoInG‘ ‘regularly’) + SIN (‘something immoral’).
8. Only bright chaps up for election? Henry’s included all the same (15)
NOTWITHSTANDING Envelope (‘included’) of H (‘Henry’) in NO TWIT STANDING (‘only bright chaps up for election’).
16. Apology for a dance (6,2)
EXCUSE ME Double definition.
17. Feeble female runs away from daredevil (8)
FECKLESS Charade of F (‘female’) + [r]ECKLESS (‘daredevil’, adjective) less (‘away’) r (‘runs’).
18. Ozzie runners accepting overdue challenges (8)
EMULATES Envelope (‘accepting’) of LATE (‘overdue’) in EMUS (‘Ozzie runners’).
20. Tremble as examiner’s son leaves for Spain (6)
TEETER TESTER (‘examiner’) with S (‘son’) replaced by (‘leaves for’) E (‘Spain’, IVR).
21. Gangster with weapons causes anxiety (6)
ALARMS Charade of AL (‘gangster’, Capone) + ARMS (‘weapons’). I can’t say that I am convinced by the definition.
25. Work at grasping old manoeuvre (4)
PLOY Envelope (‘grasping’) of O (‘old’) in PLY (‘work at’).

9 Responses to “Quiptic crossword No 585”

1. Andrew says:

Thanks Peter – I found this hard going too. I can’t see your problem with 21dn – the definition is “causes anxiety”, which is a good definition of “alarms”.

2. pommers says:

Tricky for a Quiptic IMHO! Took about twice as long as normal. First Nutmeg I’ve ever tackled so perhaps I just wasn’t on the right wavelength.

I agree with Andrew about 21d, seems an OK definition to me.

I think 8d is my favourite, I got the answer but took ages to see why. Definate smile when the penny dropped!

Thanks for an excellent review Peter and to Nutmeg for the puzzle.

3. Robi says:

Thanks Nutmeg and PeterO for a superb blog.

I think this was definitely a bit difficult for a Quiptic. I found some problem with the NE corner. I particularly disliked 10 – as previously, if you are going to use an archaic word it might be nice to indicate this with ‘old’ or somesuch.

I guess 7 was OK, once the right word for regularly was found – I read this though as an &lit with other possible solutions such as ‘lies in,’ ‘sits in’ etc.

Maybe I’m just Monday grumpy; though I did like 8 a lot :D

4. crypticsue says:

I am glad other people found this hard going too – much harder than the usual Quiptic level. Thanks for the puzzle and the review.

5. Tokyocolin says:

Thank you PeterO. I don’t think you were leaden, this was not an easy solve. I found it more difficult than the Rufus and Indy I did earlier today. Rhino was a lucky guess for me, but biggest grumble was reserved for 18dn. An emu is an “Aussie” runner. No hint of the homonym in the clue.

There were some good clues, I too liked 8dn. But overall it was too obscure and convoluted for the purported target solvers.

6. Stella Heath says:

Thanks Peter and Nutmeg.

I came into this with enthusiasm, looking for a quick solve, as I had things to do; and was pleased to see Nutmeg’s pen-name, as I usually find her(?) puzzles entertaining.

I eventually left it half way through, in order to get on with my morning, and have just finished it, not without difficulty, but with a clearer mind once my tasks were done.

I now have ten minutes to look at today’s Rufus. I doubt I’ll get very far with that, either :)

Definitely a tricky one, this, so I’m not sure what ‘beginners’ (whoever they are) will have made of it.

I thought ZEPHYR was extremely clever and also liked LONG JUMP for its concise surface. Least favourite was WELLINGTON BOOTS, because I’m not a big fan of clueing a particular place by reference to its country.

Excellent blog as always, Peter, thank you.

8. Derek Lazenby says:

Failed miserably. I may be the class dummy, but I’m not a beginner, so this definitely didn’t fulfil it’s purpose. Never heard that use of RHINO, and can’t see the definition EMULATES and challenges as valid either. Other’s were I didn’t get were fair enough but a little indirect to be used here.

Oh well back to looking at RSS readers.

9. Scarpia says:

Thanks PeterO.
    A very good puzzle from Nutmeg.I agree with other comments that it was probably too difficult for beginners but there were some excellent clues.MISGOVERN,ZEPHYR and NOTWITHSTANDING were my 3 favourites.
    I guess LAPLAND is not a country,but as you say,it is a good enough definition for a crossword.
    Derek @8 – I wasn’t totally convinced with that definition either,but dictionary does give ‘To try to equal or surpass’ so I think it is o.k.