Financial Times 13,607 by Aardvark – ‘a tale of two cities’

Posted by PeeDee on February 2nd, 2011

PeeDee.

Easier than the last AARDVARK puzzle I blogged, but no less enjoyable.  My favourite was 29 across which made me smile, 13 across is good too.   Also, I got throught he whole thing without having to resort to the dictionary once, which makes a nice change!

*anagram

hover mouse over clue number to see clue

click on solution to see definition

1 SIPHON P inside HIS reversed with ON (the on side =  the side of the cricket field behind the batsman’s legs)
4 TOM BAKER TOMB and RAKE* (actor played Dr Who in TV series)
10 BITTERN BIT (part) TERN (gull)
11 FUCHSIA SUCH* inside FIAt
12 LUNE Like UNE (‘one’ in French) gives river in Cumbria
13 AVANT GARDE sAVANT (accomplished) with GARDEn (area for flowers) losing the bordering letters
16 UNFAIR fUNFAIR (f=fellow)
17 BERMUDA Double definition
20 POLLOCK LOP reversed and LOCK (artist Jackson Pollock)
21 POTEEN OP (opus=work) reversed and TEEN
24 WATERMELON European MERLOT* inside WAN
25 ESAU thESAUrus
27 TRANSIT departmenT (RATS IN)*
29 PIANOLA sounds like “P&O” plus LA (‘the’ in French)
30 POLO NECK Marco POLO and Notice Knocking around EC (City of London postal code)
31 WESTIE ITS reversed inside WEE (minute=small) gives West Highland Terrier
1 SIBELIUS IS reversed (opposing=the other way round) 1 inside BLUES
2 PUT ON A FRONT TON with AFRO inside PUNT
3 OVEN prOVEN (dropping pr=price)
5 OFFENDER whO F FENDER (wing of a car in N. America)
6 BACKGAMMON BACK (second) MAG (fanzine perhaps) reversed and MONday
7 KES maKES losing m (millions) and a (before=ante)
8 READER tRADER around European
9 KNAVE VAN reversed inside KatE
14 RIDLEY SCOTT RID (deliver from) LEY (ley line) SCOTT (sounds like Scot)
15 BILL BRYSON BILL (police=’the old bill’) BRanch NOSY reversed
18 ECLECTIC L (learner driver) inside EC EC (City of London postal code) and TIC. I would complain about EC for City also being used in 30 across, but the clue clearly states it is used repeatedly.
19 INCUBATE CUBA inside wINTEr
22 SWOT UP TWO inside SUP (hampered = either ‘constrained’ or ‘put in a hamper’)
23 COUPE O (love=zero tennis score) inside CUP and prizE
26 HARE HAREm (without male). The hare is an atificial lure in dog racing.
28 AIL Sounds like “ale”

9 Responses to “Financial Times 13,607 by Aardvark – ‘a tale of two cities’”

1. crypticsue says:

Took a moment or two to get going, but enjoyed the solve when I did. 11a is FUCHSIA and not as you have it above – I know from blogging experience how easy it is to go from the right word on the grid to entirely the wrong word in the review!

2. PeeDee says:

Fuchsia typo fixed, thanks.

3. smiffy says:

Thanks PeeDee. An amusing puzzle, with a tone that was right up my street (or should that be bookcase, on which both Messrs Baker and Bryson enjoyed preferred status). I did wonder whether Kes was a ’70s rather than ’60s film, but turns out that it was released in 1969.

A couple of laugh-inducing moments at 20A and (like you) 29A. Your subtitle for this blog also raised a smile – best one I’ve seen in a while!
    One small edit: you have ‘magazine’ for ‘fanzine’ at 6D.

4. Nestorius says:

Nice Aardvark production! Plenty to break my teeth on.

Thanks to Aardvark & PeeDee for their work!

PeeDee, a minute point: in 24a you are not including the E(uropean)

My favourites today are 17a, 2d and the absolute top 11a with a very smooth surface.

5. PeeDee says:

Thanks Nestorius, fixed now.

6. malc95 says:

Thanks PeeDee,

5d – isn’t a fender what we call a car’s bumper & not its wing?

7. malc95 says:

5d – just Googled “fender” apparently it’s either, but usually refers to the wing, so apologies to Aardvark for doubting his superior knowledge. Something new every day.

8. bamberger says:

Only had 9 solved when my hour was up -but can’t complain having seen the answers.

Surprised I had never heard of the Lune river

9. Scarpia says:

Thanks PeeDee.
    Super puzzle from Aardvark,with a good few smiles during the solve.
    Outrageous homophone used in 29 across – I thought it was brilliant!
    14 and 15 down were harder to parse than solve,thought 15 was very good.
    Strictly speaking gulls and terns are from different families,but I think they are similar enough for the purpose of the wordplay in 10 across.