Financial Times 13,609 / Bradman

Posted by Gaufrid on February 4th, 2011

Gaufrid.

A very quick solve for me today because Bradman’s cluing was, as usual, flawless and generally straightforward.

The only clue that might be considered as being less than straightforward was 5dn which required a knowledge of both Australian birds and French.

1 DUTCH COURAGE cd – “artificial courage induced by drinking alcohol”.
8 NATTIER I (one) in NATTER (talk)
9 ONSHORE *(HERON SO)
11 EURASIA U (university) in *(AREA IS)
12 DELIGHT ED (journalist) reversed LIGHT (frivolous)
13 TASTY TA (volunteers) STY (hovel) – one could argue that ‘introduced to’ indicates the insertion of TA into STY but it needs to be read in its meaning of ‘prefaced to’.
14 TERMAGANT TERM (spell) A G (good) ANT (worker) – “a brawling, scolding woman”.
16 GRASSLAND ASS (donkey) L (lake) in GRAND (magnificent)
19 GAMMA GAM (leg) MA (mum)
21 TANKARD TAN (brown) *(DARK)
23 EPISTLE *(SLEEP IT)
24 DILUTOR LUT[e] (short instrument) in DIOR (designer) – ‘one avoiding neatness’ is a pleasingly misleading definition.
25 DRASTIC DR (doctor) ASTI (drink that’s sparkling) C (cold)
26 PREPAREDNESS *(REPRESSED PAN)

1 DOTARDS A RD (road) in DOTS (Dorothy’s)
2 THIRSTY S (sun) in THIRTY (a number)
3 HERBAL TEA BALT[i] (mostly Indian food) in HERE (this place) A
4 OVOID O (nothing) VOID (empty)
5 ROSELLA O (round) S (south) in ALLER (go, in French) reversed – “any of several varieties of Australian parakeet with brightly-coloured plumage, first observed at Rose Hill near Sydney”.
6 GEORGIA dd
7 INVESTIGATED IN VEST (wearing underwear) I (one) GATED (confined to academic institution)
10 ESTATE AGENCY *(A TEENSY C[ot]TAGE) – if you re-sort ‘to estate agency’ you get ‘a teensy cottage’.
15 REDHEADED RED (Labour) HEAD (leader) ED (Miliband)
17 ANNULAR ANNUL (set aside) A [love]R
18 START UP STAR TUP (alpha male with ewes)
19 GRIMACE GRIM (dismal) ACE (one next to king)
20 MUTATES TATE (gallery in SUM (problem) reversed
22 DURER UR (old city) in DER (article in German) – Albrecht Dürer

6 Responses to “Financial Times 13,609 / Bradman”

1. smiffy says:

I couldn’t agree more, Gaufrid a uniformly entertaining puzzle.
    Bradman’s skill in producing puzzles that metronomically combine technical merit with a demi-sec vein of humour can sometimes be taken for granted. I’m often one of the first to tip my cap to flashes of bawdy humour in a puzzle but hopefully there will always be a place for the likes of 3D and 15D too, both of which tickled me.

2. nmsindy says:

Yes, this was very good, elegant clueing all through. Thanks, Bradman, and Gaufrid for the blog.

3. bamberger says:

Got off to a good start by getting 1a on sight and thought that I might bowl the Don but things rapidly went down hill and after a spell of an hour only 9,12,26a & 4&6 d had fallen.

Not helped by not knowing termagant or rosella. Clearly one for the 1st XI and not the gentlemens’ XI

4. Lenny says:

Thanks Gaufrid. I saved this for a bedtime treat and really enjoyed the tight clueing. I only had a couple of minor quibbles. I thought the definition of Dotards was a bit vague. Also, I raised an eyebrow at Labour=Red. Chambers has Red meaning communist (derog inf) which seems about right to me. However Collins includes Socialist and Leftist in the definition and omits the derogatory label so that probably covers it. Still, it’s been a long time since anyone considered the Labour Party to be socialist or leftist.

5. Sil van den Hoek says:

Bradman (not to be confused with Pasquale) is one of my favourite setters.
    Today he showed me (or dare I say: us) once more why.
    Flawless, elegant clueing.

I disagree with Lenny re DOTARDS. I thought the definition was rather witty.
    And 15d (RED HEAD ED) isn’t worth an eyebrow, IMO.
    For me, one of the highlights of an excellent puzzle.

Great stuff.

6. Scarpia says:

Thanks Gaufrid.
    Great puzzle from Bradman,nothing contentious but some nice witty clues.My only(churlish) complaint would be that I didn’t learn any new vocabulary from this one. :)
    Favourites for me 10 and 15 down.