Financial Times 13,613 by Cinephile

Posted by PeeDee on February 9th, 2011

PeeDee.

Another good crossword from Cinephile.   How he continues to turn crosswords out at the rate he does and still keeps them fresh and original never ceases to amaze me.  Clues 26 across and 5 down were my favourites this time.

1, 5 MATTHEW ARNOLD MAT (dull) THE (article) WARN (give notice) OLD (superanuated)
8 YOUNGSTER GENTS* inside YOUR
9 REGAN RAN round EG gives the daughter of King Lear
11 ORIEL 1 inside OREL (city in Russia)
12 DIAGHILEV (VIGIL HEAD)*
13 RATTIGAN ART* and GIANT*
15 STAYER ST (saint) Alfred Jules AYER
17 HEREBY REB (US Civil War) inside HEY meaning ‘because of this’
19 LABRADOR Labrador is ‘builder’ or ‘farm worker’ in Spanish
22 DIGITALIS DIGITAL IS in, analogue is out
23 SHREW Royal inside SHEW (old spelling of show= former display)
24 WHOLE With HOLE (on golf course)
25 GRAPEVINE Cryptic definition
26, 27 SPONGE FINGERS PONG EF (consecutive notes in scale) inside SINGERS, a ‘fool’ is a type of dessert. I thought the misdirection on this clue was was excellent, spents ages trying to make ‘idiots’, ‘asses’ etc into smells.
1, 10 MAY YOUR SHADOW NEVER GROW LESS Cryptic definition. Never heard of this one, a quick look on Google suggests it is a Persian phrase, used as a blessing or to say thank you. It was introduced into English in the mid 1800’s. I can’t find a reference to it meaning ‘stay as you are’ are, Chambers gives ‘may you continue to prosper’ which is not really the same thing.
2 TOURIST (1 0 TRUST)* (turns to = turns into a word meaning…)
3 HEGEL HE and GEL (girl).
4 WITHDRAW WITH DRAW (tied the match)
5 AIRMAN MARINA*, also AIR (element) and MAN (him), also & Lit as an airman should not be in the water. A clever-clever clue (is Cinephile showboating here?)
6 NORTH STAR (TRANSpORT with Hydrogen )* h replacing p
7 LEGALLY LEG and ALLY
10   See 1
14 IN-BETWEEN BET (speculation) WEE (not great = small) inside INN
16 FALSTAFF sounds like ‘false Taff’ (Taffy = slang for Welshman)
18 REGROUP (PURGE OR)*
20 DORMICE DORMIE (in match play golf to have a lead greater than equal to the remaining holes) around C (hundred)
21 PLAGUE (A LEG UP)*
23 STERN Double definition (grave = serious = stern)

*anagram

hover mouse over clue number to see clue

click on a solution to see its definition

10 Responses to “Financial Times 13,613 by Cinephile”

1. Gaufrid says:

Hi PeeDee
    I’ve got my pedant’s hat on today ;-)

In 20dn, if you had a lead that was greater than the number of holes left to play you would already have won the match. Dormie is where you are as many holes ahead as there are still to play, ie you cannot lose the match.

2. PeeDee says:

Thanks Gaufrid. Never played golf in my life, and it shows!

3. Bryan says:

Many thanks PeeDee and Gaufrid

I have played golf but I couldn’t work out DORMICE – even though I had assumed that it was correct.

And a Big Thank You Cinephile for yet another excellent puzzle.

Also a Very Happy Birthday for the upcoming event.

May Your Talent Never Grow Less!

4. Tony Welsh says:

Thanks, PeeDee. My last two solved were LABRADOR and DORMICE and I had no idea why in either case, so thanks for the explanations. I too had never heard of the saying in 1,10 down. Nor had I heard of OREL, but managed to complete the puzzle anyway. Interestingly, SPONGE FINGERS was one of the first ones I got. (After REGROUP and FALSTAFF that is.) Don’t think I have seen a sponge finger or a (dessert) fool for 50 years!

5. smiffy says:

Yes, a tricky but not unfair puzzle. And well blogged.
    I was unfamiliar with 1D/10D. Although the first half came readily enough from checking letters, I was hesitant on the “grow less” ending which served made the SE corner trickier still.
    (And I still prefer the Scottish equivalent “Lang may yer lum reek!”).

Couldn’t figure out the wordplay for 20D either, before coming here. Count me as another ignoramus on Dormie. Clue of the day for me is, unusually, the under-engineered pun at 25A; no subsidiary wordplay required.

6. Tom_I says:

If anyone is wondering, as I did, about REB in 17a, apparently Johnny Reb was a name used to personify a Confederate soldier in the American Civil War.

Political cartoonists in the 1860s used Johnny Reb and his Union counterpart Billy Yank to symbolize the combatants in the War.

Apologies if this is common knowledge, but I didn’t know it until I looked it up.

7. bamberger says:

Found this really difficult and tooks ages to get started until I saw 25a.

1a Eventually had enough checking letters to get Matthew in 1a but I could have sat until doomsday trying to guess the surname as I had never heard of any poet with a first name of Matthew and had no checking letters.
    9a If you didn’t know this and you don’t have checking letters you are stuck,
    12a Another never heard of.
    13a Ditto
    15a Ditto
    17a Hadn’t come across reb=confederate
    19a Didn’t know this
    22a Ditto
    23a Ditto
    So 12a-23a was wiped out and I only got oriel because it has appeared in other crosswords. I hadn’t heard of orel.

1d Got “may your” but couldn’t get the rest
    3d Got this from the checking letters but hadn’t heard of him
    16d I had heard of falstaff but didn’t know he was a knight.
    20d I don’t think the clue is correct. If you are dormie 2, you are on the 17th tee and two holes up, so can’t lose. If you are on the 7th tee and two holes up , then you are ahead and you are about to play but you aren’t dormie anything.

Really impressed by those who had the necessary knowledge to solve this.

8. Nestorius says:

Got stuck on 19a/20d and had to resort to PeeDee’s help.

Some beauties here: 23d, 25a, 5d.

Cinephile often checkmates me but I am learning.

Thanks, setter & blogger!

9. Sil van den Hoek says:

Thank you, PeeDee for your excellent blog.
    I think Cinephile was on top form today, with some very nice touches like LABRADOR, SPONGE FINGERS, DIGITALIS and, indeed, the easy but oh so effective AIRMAN.

I needed the blog to understand the Taff part of FALSTAFF, although I could have looked it up somewhere.
    And DORMICE was clear to me, but ‘dormie’ wasn’t. Sounds like a Sleeping Beauty …..
    For the second day in a row I was caught out by the same device. Yesterday Puck beat me with his “love for English”, today I didn’t parse “hydrogen for power” (part of the also splendid NORTH STAR clue).

Just wonder what the anagram indicator in 2d (TOURIST) is, or do we have two? ‘Beaten’ and/or ‘turns to’?

A very very enjoyable crossword!

10. Scarpia says:

Thanks PeeDee.
    “How he continues to turn crosswords out at the rate he does and still keeps them fresh and original never ceases to amaze me.” – I couldn’t agree more!
    When he’s on top form,like here,I don’t think anyone does it better.
    The only one I had real difficulty with was LABRADOR,I knew that must be the answer but my knowledge of Spanish doesn’t stretch that far.
    SPONGE FINGERS was brilliant.